Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 290 of 290 FirstFirst ... 210250270280281282283284285286287288289290
Results 7,226 to 7,235 of 7235

Trump

Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I think we would all be surprised about how many "moderates" voted for and want to keep Trump in office but are just not vocal about it. Its just not a popular public opinion to support him. However, he created a huge amount of short term gain for so many people by lowering personal taxes (more dollars from your income) and lowering corporate taxes (stock market boom). I'm sure there are plenty of people that openly trash him but secretly vote for him.

I like to think that everyone in my office hates the guy, but I still watch my words cause I know there are some heavy hitters here that keep massive dollars in their pockets the longer he is in office.
    Who's personal income taxes went down? As a middle class home owner, mine went up quite a bit.
    I think a lot of people got fooled into thinking their tax went down because they got more in their paychecks, when that increase is simply an advance on your tax return. Same tactic with the Bush economic stimulus package when people believed the government was sending out checks for $600 to anyone that paid taxes...nothing more than a republican feel good trick

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Your taxes didn’t go down because you have a large local and state tax. Parts of America don’t. People there saw a tax cut.

Most blue state tax payers got nailed losing the salt tax deduction. It was part of the plan.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Who's personal income taxes went down? As a middle class home owner, mine went up quite a bit.
    My taxable income went up while my total tax bill went down. The business income pass through should have made a difference to a lot of folks as well.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

How’s that deficit doing?

Good businessman my ass.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    How’s that deficit doing?

Good businessman my ass.
    Oh, you didn't get the memo. Deficits only matter to Republicans when Democrats are in charge.

4 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Your taxes didnít go down because you have a large local and state tax. Parts of America donít. People there saw a tax cut.

Most blue state tax payers got nailed losing the salt tax deduction. It was part of the plan.
    I should have been more specific.
    I paid more in federal taxes in 2018 than I did in 2017, while my income didnít change.

I paid more in town taxes in 2018, than I did in 2017. I live in one of the few republicans controlled towns in RI.

I paid less in state taxes in 2018, than I did in 2017, in a Democrat controlled state.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t higher property taxes keep more tax revenue at the state level as opposed to going to federal, since salt taxes are deducted from fed (more so before chump).

0 Not allowed!

I suppose that is true, yes. Whatzyerpoint?

Net effect to most tax payers (ie myself) is that state & local taxes remained the same, but I could deduct less of it. Meaning my total fed tax bill was higher. YMMV, as always.

This is one place where I typically identify with the Libertarians. US tax policy has largely been take from the individuals and redistribute nationally. Your state may take from individuals and redistribute state-wide as well. Then your town probably takes from individual property owners and redistributes town-wide as well. Libertarians have made the argument that national taxes are wrong and a violation of states rights. States should be responsible for raising revenue to provide services state-wide and the Fed should stay out of it. Instead the Fed takes and redistributes as it sees fit. A process that I think many of us would agree is subject to a lot of corruption. National politics mean state X gets more Fed $ because their reps out maneuvered the reps from state Y, even though state Y pays more into the system. I think Dems might argue that state X is more needs the $ and state Y can afford it, therefore the arrangement is just.

I would argue that Trump limiting SALT deductions pulls MORE money into the Fed system for "redistribution". A very central, communal way of doing things. This seems contrary to the Republican/tea-party/Libertarian point of view on this.

Another example where Trump is a lousy Republican.

The truth is this move was political. Blue states, as a rule, have higher state and local taxes. The GOP stuck it to them with this SALT deduction move. This move wasn't based in some value or principal, but rather in just beating the Dems. Just like everything else Trump does in every facet of his administration.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I would argue that Trump limiting SALT deductions pulls MORE money into the Fed system for "redistribution". A very central, communal way of doing things. This seems contrary to the Republican/tea-party/Libertarian point of view on this.
    That's what I was getting at. It seems inverse to republican states rights "values". I thought about it a few months ago, and wasn't 100% sure I was correct. Seems like everyone points at the NE and bitches about our taxes, yet we keep more in the state, while red state take more from the national number. Not that I love paying taxes or anything.

0 Not allowed!

This aged well

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

"I would love to send Ambassador Sondland, a really good man and great American, to testify, but unfortunately he would be testifying before a totally compromised kangaroo court, where Republican’s rights have been taken away, and true facts are not allowed out for the public...."

0 Not allowed!