Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trump

  1. #7776
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump


    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

    Americans in bulk are almost twice as well off as even Europeans,

    source?

    0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  2. #7777
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,020

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    source?
    Several sources. If you look at the standard of living in most aspects -- housing, transportation, work-saving appliances, the average even in the better off large EU countries comes in at about the level of the poorest 10% of U.S. states. They get some added benefits, such as more vacation and such, but their day-to-day standard of living is significantly less. And that's mostly due to reduced economic freedom -- more regulations and higher taxes.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  3. #7778
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    If you're really fortunate, maybe you can own an orange motorbike or three.
    Goals..

    ..although lately I value the time to use that orange motorbike too. And thus-back on topic-kind of envy those poor, not well off europeans that get paid to look after their kids, take August off and don't sweat going bankrupt from medical debt.

    3 Not allowed!

  4. #7779
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,214

    Re: Trump

    For the record, I only have one.

    So...if this downward spiral of American devolution continues, what country is everyone expatriating to for retirement??

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  5. #7780
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,159

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    For the record, I only have one.

    So...if this downward spiral of American devolution continues, what country is everyone expatriating to for retirement??
    Finland or some shithole in Central America. At least Finland knows how to pick their prime ministers.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  6. #7781
    Posting Freak MUZ720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    951

    Re: Trump

    Currently in Florida kind of a different country.

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7782
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,214

    Re: Trump

    I ain’t going to Florida.
    If we don’t get this ship back on course, I’m not staying in the country either.

    I don’t think Finland allows retirees to immigrate there. Or maybe I’m confusing some other Scandinavian country.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  8. #7783
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    <rolleyes> Except that communism *always* results in tyranny, misery, poverty, and destruction, whereas economic liberty (e.g. capitalism) generally results in (and is what is responsible for. in the Western world) abundance, prosperity, higher standard of living, better living. You busybodies are welcome to go back into your caves and interfere with each others' lives until you reach your lowest common denominator. The rest of us would prefer to achieve something, and make a better, richer, more free world.

    Meanwhile: https://fee.org/articles/why-the-mov...SOQJQCIOJqu9Dw

    PhilB
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founda...omic_Education

    https://fee.org/people/ayn-rand/

    It’s Valentine’s Day, make sure you give that poster of Ayn Rand a smooch when you get down to your libertarian cave in your basement...

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #7784
    Posting Freak MUZ720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    951

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I ain’t going to Florida.
    If we don’t get this ship back on course, I’m not staying in the country either.

    I don’t think Finland allows retirees to immigrate there. Or maybe I’m confusing some other Scandinavian country.
    In all honesty I wouldn't live here either.... Canada by the time I fully retire it will be warmer.

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 02-14-20 at 10:10 AM.

  10. #7785
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Several sources. If you look at the standard of living in most aspects -- housing, transportation, work-saving appliances, the average even in the better off large EU countries comes in at about the level of the poorest 10% of U.S. states. They get some added benefits, such as more vacation and such, but their day-to-day standard of living is significantly less. And that's mostly due to reduced economic freedom -- more regulations and higher taxes.

    PhilB

    With all due respect, Phil, that's a complete load of bollocks.
    My source? I travel to Europe on vacation and business every year. My work takes me to Germany, Holland, Belgium and Italy and I lived the first 30 years of my life in the UK. I love living in the US, but the general standard of living is not even equal here, let alone twice as good. It was marginally better in the 90s, but not now. Europe has blown past the US in terms of infrastructure and development while the US cant even maintain its roads, ports and bridges to the standards they were in the 90s. Transportation infrastructure in the US is close to crisis point with even rich states like Mass behind by 10s of years in bridge maintenance.

    I actually giggled when I saw transportation and work saving appliances on your list. Europe is 3-5 years ahead of the US in terms of digital infrastructure and the US will never in our lifetimes reach the level of transportation efficiency that Europe has, or had 25 years ago even.

    We will be retiring to the UK or France. I retained my Irish citizenship because of the idiotic Brexit vote so we are all set to live and travel unabated throughout Europe upon retirement.

    5 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  11. #7786
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: Trump

    I think I could live in the Canadian maritimes, maybe.
    My first choice would be NZ. Man that place is nice. For a bunch of commonwealthers living under the jack boot of tyrannical oppression, they sure do seem to be happy with life.

    I've actually half seriously looked into this. The US gov't doesn't make this easy. Uncle sam doesn't let you (or specifically your savings) go easily.

    I haven't given up hope yet though. Tides are turning and I legitimately believe that the ultra right is in its death throes.

    1 Not allowed!

  12. #7787
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,020

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founda...omic_Education

    https://fee.org/people/ayn-rand/

    It’s Valentine’s Day, make sure you give that poster of Ayn Rand a smooch when you get down to your libertarian cave in your basement...
    I'm not really a huge fan of Ayn, overall. I find that altruism and voluntarily helping others does make for a better life. She did have some good insights into economics, and FEE usually makes good sense. I don't cite FEE because of where it came from; I cite it because their articles are rational and make strong economic sense. Disregarding them because of the people involved in founding it is the fallacy known as "ad hominem". or "shooting the messenger".

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  13. #7788
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,020

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    With all due respect, Phil, that's a complete load of bollocks.
    My source? I travel to Europe on vacation and business every year. My work takes me to Germany, Holland, Belgium and Italy and I lived the first 30 years of my life in the UK. I love living in the US, but the general standard of living is not even equal here, let alone twice as good. It was marginally better in the 90s, but not now. Europe has blown past the US in terms of infrastructure and development while the US cant even maintain its roads, ports and bridges to the standards they were in the 90s. Transportation infrastructure in the US is close to crisis point with even rich states like Mass behind by 10s of years in bridge maintenance.

    I actually giggled when I saw transportation and work saving appliances on your list. Europe is 3-5 years ahead of the US in terms of digital infrastructure and the US will never in our lifetimes reach the level of transportation efficiency that Europe has, or had 25 years ago even.

    We will be retiring to the UK or France. I retained my Irish citizenship because of the idiotic Brexit vote so we are all set to live and travel unabated throughout Europe upon retirement.
    lol. Yes, because bridges equals standard of living. Not a bigger house, or a better car, or a refrigerator, or any of that irrelevant stuff.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  14. #7789
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    lol. Yes, because bridges equals standard of living. Not a bigger house, or a better car, or a refrigerator, or any of that irrelevant stuff.
    You cannot possibly be serious with this.

    1 Not allowed!

  15. #7790
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    lol. Yes, because bridges equals standard of living. Not a bigger house, or a better car, or a refrigerator, or any of that irrelevant stuff.

    PhilB
    The European country with the lowest standard of living index I could find is Bosnia, with an index of 122 based on overall quality of life (climate, healthcare, employment etc). The US sits at 176 in 13th place worldwide. Of the 12 countries above them, 9 are in Europe and the others are Canada, Australia and NZ.

    I could find no such index for refrigerator quality.

    3 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  16. #7791
    Senior Member jimmycapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW CT
    Posts
    467

    Re: Trump

    Or the >50% chance your bankruptcy is caused by a medical expense.

    2 Not allowed!

  17. #7792
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: Trump

    The bridge I drive over to get to work has been condemned and may collapse at any moment. When I'm injured in that collapse I won't be able to pay the monster co-pay and the debt will probably wipe me out. Especially since the bridge and the car I had are now gone, I couldn't get to work anymore and they eliminated my position in a "reduction in force". But I've got a bitchin' fridge in the big house the bank is about to foreclose on. And the car that fell into the river was pretty swell. So it ain't so bad.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 02-14-20 at 12:25 PM.

  18. #7793
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    A word of warning also. If you travel to Europe and get sick or injured, make sure you have excellent travel insurance or health insurance coverage. The days of free healthcare for US visitors in some countries are over. Actions have consequences. Actions like parking your military in Europe and throwing threats around for a couple of billion dollars. I swear, people really dont understand what Trump is doing to the US worldwide when he tries to score points among his fan base by threatening Europe. He's a laughing stock and so is the US.

    1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  19. #7794
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    There is a bridge in Raynham that got so badly behind on maintenance (as they all are) that it is costing 10 times what it should to fix it. It's now an 18 month project and has caused 30 minute delays for commuters north to Boston for over a year. Quality of life.

    1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  20. #7795
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,174

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Or the >50% chance your bankruptcy is caused by a medical expense.
    Bring back the death panels! seriously. this end of life bankruptcy thing is baked into our system, but WE perpetuate it by prolonging life at all costs. Suck it up and die when it's time. Leave your money to your family.

    0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  21. #7796
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...icient-bridges

    If you think NH is any better, I have a structurally-deficient bridge to sell you.

    0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  22. #7797
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    A quick google search shows the US as 13th also in infrastructure. Shameful for a country which is the richest in the world and taxed one of the lowest in the Western developed world. Again, 9 European countries outrank the US in infrastructure.

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nfrastructure/

    1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  23. #7798

    Re: Trump

    Commies arguing with Socialists. This is priceless. Meanwhile back in the good ole USA my side is WINNING.

    0 Not allowed!
    To anger a conservative tell him a lie. To anger a leftist tell him the truth.

  24. #7799
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,214

    Re: Trump

    I’m sure you’re laughing the whole way to cashing your disability check.

    2 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  25. #7800
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Trump

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Commies arguing with Socialists. This is priceless. Meanwhile back in the good ole USA my side is WINNING.
    I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm telling people how it is. I guarantee you personally are not winning anything. I'm winning. You obviously haven't seen my fridge.

    1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •