Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UN Question...

Littering and........

UN Question...

Out of curiousity, does anybody remember the UN telling us NOT to invade Iraq? I mean, for as much bitching as they seem to be doing about it now, it doesn't seem like they did anything to stop it either?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: UN Question...

Originally posted by highsider
    Out of curiousity, does anybody remember the UN telling us NOT to invade Iraq? I mean, for as much bitching as they seem to be doing about it now, it doesn't seem like they did anything to stop it either?

Not supporting the US invasion was enough force for the UN... That is the way of the UN to support or not

UN Question...

The UN basically has no world power if one of the permanent members is not in agreement with a decision. Because the United States is one of those members, it has Veto power over any decision the United Nations Security Council decides upon. Therefore if the UN Decided that it were going to do something to the US for invading Iraq, the US would veto the decision and then the UN could no longer do anything. The UN is not set up to help the world, only the permanent members.

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

Lifer

UN Question...

Nothing is stopping other countries from imposing their own sanctions against us.

It's just that there is no country in the world that could negatively effect our economy without tanking their own.

China and many of the other asian countries have our balls in a noose but if they squeeze they are totally dependent on us to keep buying their stuff.

UN Question...

Originally posted by benVFR
    China and many of the other asian countries have our balls in a noose but if they squeeze they are totally dependent on us to keep buying their stuff.
    I don't think they are TOTALLY dependent on us man... Honestly, it would hurt them like hell if they just said "Fuck the USA", but I think they'd still manage to keep on going... Heck they just realized food self sufficience for a nation of a BILLION citizens... that's saying something... Only other nation in the world that can say that I do believe...

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

UN Question...

The UN can't really say 'no' to anything without getting to the point of imposing sanctions or taking military action. They are a guiding governing body the preserve peace and take action when necessary.

If we tried to invade France or something, the UN would probably step in.

They didn't really say no at all. Once GWB realized that the resolution was not going to pass, he pulled it. He then created his own coalition of forces with other countries without the UN's help. If the resolution was officially denied, he would have had a much harder time getting support for the war. He still could have gone to war though.

---trying to stay as non-polital as I can on this one---

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

UN Question...

Originally posted by TheIglu
    ---trying to stay as non-polital as I can on this one---

(good job though!)

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

UN Question...

The UN security concil never passed a resolution for our invasion of Iraq.

Since Iraq never attacked us, by international law that the United States signed onto, the invasion is illegal (and highly immoral).

on and on, South of Heaven

UN Question...

The same could be said of Clinton's action in Bosnia, but Air America / Al Franken / Michael Moore has never had a problem with that little incident.

Wouldn't Garafolo consider them freedom fighters, too?

Or maybe is just the fact that a Republican president did this, and not a Democrat?

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

UN Question...

Originally posted by Green Hornet
    The UN security concil never passed a resolution for our invasion of Iraq.

Since Iraq never attacked us, by international law that the United States signed onto, the invasion is illegal (and highly immoral).
    There was no end to the first Gulf War, just a cease fire. The invasion of Iraq is a 'Resumption of Hostilities'.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Littering and........

UN Question...

Its a little early to be picking on Bryan, but....

Bush Sr. went to war to enforce the idea that one nation cannot unilaterally invade another.

Then his son went to war......unilaterally invading Iraq and booting Saddam.

UN Question...

and?

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

UN Question...

This is the thought process that I will never understand. Why do AMERICAN citizens insist on blaming America, FIRST????? Why do people living freely in this country believe that we are somehow, "The Great Satan"?????

What about Saddam Hussein??? Is he some sort of "Beacon of Morality"??? But, yet, George W. Bush is evil!!!!!! Oh, that's right, the U.N. is SSSOOOOO good and righteous......... So good, in fact, that they stood by for 12+ years while Saddam murdered and tortured his own people. So good that they stand by and do nothing while dictators in African nations slaughter their people and hold back food and medical supplies while the people who need it die slowly and painfully. Is that the same United Nations we're talking about here???? When was the last time G.W. Bush ordered the execution of American citizens because they do not believe as he does???

LRRS#167

Everybody to the limit!

UN Question...

Originally posted by lrrs167
    This is the thought process that I will never understand. Why do AMERICAN citizens insist on blaming America, FIRST????? Why do people living freely in this country believe that we are somehow, "The Great Satan"?????
    We don't. But neither do we excuse our actions from criticism just because it's our country. Accountability starts at home.

What about Saddam Hussein??? Is he some sort of "Beacon of Morality"??? But, yet, George W. Bush is evil!!!!!!
    Find me someone who thinks this. I've never heard a single person who thought Saddam Hussein was not evil, or who would not have liked to see him removed from power. But this was not a surgical strike, and it's implications were not that simple.

Oh, that's right, the U.N. is SSSOOOOO good and righteous......... So good, in fact, that they stood by for 12+ years while Saddam murdered and tortured his own people.
    The UN is composed of many nations, and therefore it's going to be a mixed bag of morality. But if you focus on UN efforts, they are a beacon of humanitarianism. A bit slow to act sometimes, yes, but most commitees are. But evil? Hardly. UN programs in developing countries are about as close to benevolence as you can get, and the people who work with those programs are nothing short of saints. I know, I've met some of them, and they are among the most altruistic, humanitarian people you'll ever meet.

Also, as I'm sure you're well aware, our country turned a blind eye to Saddam's actions so long as it was politically expedient to do so. In fact, it's well documented that we supplied him with many of the weapons he used to commit his vile acts. So how you can accuse the UN being so cruel and uncaring yet turn a blind eye to our own inaction is beyond me.

So good that they stand by and do nothing while dictators in African nations slaughter their people and hold back food and medical supplies while the people who need it die slowly and painfully. Is that the same United Nations we're talking about here???? When was the last time G.W. Bush ordered the execution of American citizens because they do not believe as he does???
    I really don't know where you get this picture of the UN at all, it seems almost comical in it's villification. Have you ever met anyone who works with UNICEF, or one of the developing nations programs the UN is responsible for? If you had, I think you might change your tune. No the UN is not perfect, yes it is slow to act, but I challenge you to find one organization which has done more to reduce global suffering and inequity in the past 50 years.

UN Question...

Bush Sr. went to war to enforce the idea that one nation cannot unilaterally invade another.

Then his son went to war......unilaterally invading Iraq and booting Saddam.

Not quite. The 1991 Gulf War's mission was to expell Iraqi forces from Kuwait. Once all Iraqi military were driven out, wars over.

And Bush Jr. never went to war, he invaded a country.

So good, in fact, that they stood by for 12+ years while Saddam murdered and tortured his own people.
    Reagan and Bush Sr, and many members of Bush Jrs team actively supported, fostered, and did business with Saddam Hussein since the early 80s all the way up to the mid 90s (ending with Cheyney and Haliburton).

So for ALL those years they really wern't bothered too much with Saddams ways.

Here is a small list of how much our government (mostly Republicans) gave to Saddam, in some cases they gave him the chemical weapons to use against various peoples in Iraq.

http://www.casi.org.uk/info/usdocs/usiraq80s90s.html

UN Question...

Hey, I totally agree with you on accountability. But, why is the rest of the world community and some here in our own country so quick to blame America, first? If you don't see that, sorry but I can't help you.

LRRS#167

UN Question...

The problem is that people like you associate "America" with the policy makers in the White House.

Im an American citizen and like many feel that in no way am I represented by President Bush.

UN Question...

The problem is that people like you associate "America" with the policy makers in the White House.
    Wrong again! In fact, there are many policies and proposals put forth by the Bush administration with which I strongly disagree with. Example:the "amnesty" program for illegals currently living in this country.

LRRS#167

Littering and........

UN Question...

Not quite. The 1991 Gulf War's mission was to expell Iraqi forces from Kuwait. Once all Iraqi military were driven out, wars over.

Right....so Bush pushed invading forces out of Kuwait, and then his son invaded Iraq 11 years later.

And Bush Jr. never went to war, he invaded a country.

[/B]
    Nope, no war going on right now.....

UN Question...

I also happen to disagree with the "politically correct" way in which the administration is currently prosecuting the war in Iraq. We need to eliminate the enemy "with extreme prejudice" and stop restraining our troops from doing such. I hate the fact that our servicemen and women are dying because people in the administration are more concerned about how the rest of the world views us than they are about the lives of our soldiers.

LRRS#167

UN Question...

so what do you want them to do? bomb cities?

UN Question...

Nope, no war going on right now.....
    So who are we at war with?

UN Question...

so what do you want them to do? bomb cities?
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! Do it right, with as few American casualties as possible, or get out! We have the best military equipment available and we're not using it, meanwhile, our guys are getting picked off and bombed by a bunch of filthy animals. It's just wrong that we are not using the full might of our military against the terrorists and those loyal to their cause.

LRRS#167

Littering and........

UN Question...

So who are we at war with?
    Iraqi insurgents, Saddam loyalists, and Al Qaeda that came to Iraq to kill American soldiers. And "terrorism" as well, if you count Dubya's war on a verb.

Littering and........

UN Question...

Originally posted by lrrs167
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! Do it right, with as few American casualties as possible, or get out! We have the best military equipment available and we're not using it, meanwhile, our guys are getting picked off and bombed by a bunch of filthy animals. It's just wrong that we are not using the full might of our military against the terrorists and those loyal to their cause.
    I think the problem is more that we are having a hard time picking the good guys from the shithead terrorists over there.

I like how we handled Fallujah....tell everyone who isn't a terrorist to get out of town, kill everyone who is left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast