Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

07 KTM 450 XC-W resting comfortably!!

07 KTM 450 XC-W resting comfortably!!

My bike is recovering well from major matanance and upgrades. Mason Racing is handling the work as a 4st rebuild is out of my ability and time.
    I have ridden the shit out of this bikie since 05-07. there were 3,500 miles and 225 hous on the meter.
    I enjoyed evey minute. I did not notice the drop off in power as the bike has more than I ever need on tap.
    I noticed flaming out and could not get the carboration. This bike has been unstopable. The valves were good, only needed a slight adjustment twice. I hope they don't need replacing as well.
    I got the JD Jetting kit, ap Oring mod, Boyson Quick Shot 2, Wired a Trail Tech on off switch to all my electrical stuff, fan, heated grips, head lights and tail lights, TT HID helmet light. This will save my battery.
    I got new piston and rings.
    Cam chain and gear cogs, guides etc.
    I went wild and got new plastics and white and blue graphics. I fall a lot and I needed a little bling. Speaking of bling, I looked hard and found a slight cut on one of my radiator hoses. This justifyed my replacing them with ORANGE silicone radiator hoses. The carb vent hoses were brittle so I BLINGED them up with ORANGE replacments.
    I labored over spending close to 2 grand on this bike or getting a new one. I spent 2 grand on gards etc when i bought it. Now I have Factory connected my suspention, $750.00, addes a Trail Tech Stator and regulator $200.00to power bright headlights and a 40 watt TT hid helmetlight. 400.00 A Scotts stabilizer. 500.00 Krause rasing smart chain and titanium 14 and 54 tooth cogs. $600.00
    My bike wasn't worth much as it needed a new top end, but I have invested a fortune in it and it was personalized to me.
    So like the Phoenix my 450 will rise up from the ashes.
    I love the RFS engine,
    I wait like and expectant father and I am more excited to ride it than when it was brand new as i know what I am getting this time.
    new studded tires and let's enjoy winter.
    happy trails,
    OT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by out thumped; 12-21-08 at 01:35 PM.
    It pays to play.

Ride fast,
    You will get farther before it is over!

Re: 07 KTM 450 XC-W resting comfortably!!

I'd like to see the white and blue?
    Where there any problems found with the engine? I've got over 6,500 miles on my 06 525EXC, though that's a mix of Supermoto and dirt miles and it still runs perfectly...just seems odd with half the miles?
    Can't complain with the RFS engine, other than the oil changes being a pain in the balls. I've had the valves adjusted 4 times sence new, who knows how many oil changes..way more than needed I'm guessing, and just now I'm having my first minor issue. The counter shaft seal is leaking, I've got all the parts, just need to take a few minutes to fix it

Yamaha

Littering and........

Good for you, man.

Once you get that thing together, and the snow melts, you're invited over to Hinesburg and I'll show you miles and miles of nasty dirt trails. I'll need someone to ride with while I test out my new dirt toy.

R7,
    I'm with you if it aint broke , well you know. I spent 225 hours spinning my back tire trying to get unstuck in tight nasty VT single track. I think the hour meter is a more acurate gauge than miles. I did alot of research on thumper talk and KTM talk. The engine builders there said 150-200 hours was a ggod life for a top end.
    The 525 I would think should go longer because you don't rev it as much as a 450. I am also a lugger, so that might account for the extra hours.
    I JUST COULD NOT GET THE BIKE TO RUN RIGHT.
    I think these things are so powerful that you don't notice the gradual decline in power. I want better throttle response and more low end grunt. (should have gotten the 525) I should be getting a call from Mason Racing today aprising me of how the top end looks. I will let you know what they find, I expect it will look fine and I am replacing some parts prematurely and I just had a leak at the rings. I did a couple of extremely dusty HS races and I wonder if that did not help the longevity. Once the engine is apart I would just as soon spend the money then have to take it apart 2x.
    I heard from guys in the land down under who had over 10,000 miles and were still going strong. Most as I said are doing a top end at 150-200 hrs.
    I just want the thing to run like it used to, PERFECT. I also want to head off a blow up, which would cost 2x as much and have me pushing out from God knows where.
    I could make excuses as to some of the the parts, but i just wanted to look at my own eye candy, in my garage. If I have to replace something I want to improve it. For under 2gs I will be styling a new bike. I will post pictures when I get it back.
    HighSider,
    Are you riding this winter? What did you get for a bike?
    Later;
    OY

It pays to play.

Ride fast,

Littering and........

I bought an older (2000) WR400 with a nice suspension setup, street legal. I wanted to get a new KTM 530, but just couldn't spend the coin right now.

I can always be talked into riding in the winter. As long as it gets to be 30 degrees, I'm ready.

Well I got iher back last week. The piston and rings were toast, but the valves were still good to go, I will continue to change the oil every 10 hrs and the air filter at as soon if not sooner.
    It now rips so hard. It feels way better than new. The throttle response is elecrtic. It looks way better. I got so many new parts I lost count, unfortunately the mechanic didn't. Just short of $2,500.00. Ouch!
    But I love her so.

I went for a rip around the yard, MX and single track for almost an hour and then dumped the oil. There was no metal on the magnet like usual.
    Well here she is,

It is time for a new Top End! 225 hours and 3,500 miles all dirt.

The bike, 07 450 XC-W
    http://picasaweb.google.com/outthump...39217367851858

http://picasaweb.google.com/outthump...39922852597682

Silcone Hi temp rad hoses, new carb vents, Boyson Quick Shot2 and lots of other carb ubdates!

New Led rear tail and brake light.

SX can with Promoto Billet silent insert and end cap as well as thier most excellent kick it stand.

Got my header blown out! Who does't need that now and again. All the marks were dents, including the ones on top.

New plastic and graphics!

New headlight, I trashed the old one.

And lastly the lake groomer!

Happy New Year, I know I will now. I was glad I did it and not bought new again. I am waiting for Orange FI.

Just another learning ex. 2 pics per post.

Last edited by out thumped; 01-02-09 at 05:00 PM.
    It pays to play.

Ride fast,

You're missing the black slider in the first pic on your cycra hand guards

Nice job, the bike looks awesome. Where did you get the LED tail light from? I think I wasnt something like that for mine.

So was it $2,500 just for the motor work or $2,500 into the bike total?
    I'd like to get another season out of mine before any engine work, at the same time I don't want to wait until it spills it's guts

Yamaha

The bike had 225 hours and 3,500 all dirt miles on it. Only had to adjust the valves 2 times. So the valves were still fine. It was like 800.00 for piston, rings, cam chain, gears, and guides.
    2,500.00 total. I got a new brake rotor, blah, blah, it was a three page list of stuff. It was like well as long as i have to pay to have the motor apart I might as well add this, and this and...
    My only complaint is they must have filled the front tire with helium!
    OT

Last edited by out thumped; 01-05-09 at 02:44 PM. Reason: oops
    It pays to play.

Ride fast,

I studded up a 25mm set of tires this week. I got a hell of a work out plowing thru all the snow we got up here.
    Today it got warm, 38 degrees. I went snow shoe stomping. I packed down my single track loop, 1 mile and my MX track, 2 miles. It was dropping fast and by the time I finished it was frozen nice. I hope it is chill tommorrow and I will rip on my last day off.

The 450 is awsome!!!!!!
    I live on a frozen ice covered dirt road and the new engine rips, 3rd gear wheelies are nuttin.
    Anyway, enjoy life,
    I hope to tommorrow.
    I also will also try to mount up my new to me Muzzy slip-ons. That should make me very happy till spring!!
    Happy Trails,
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,

damn, 225 hrs? can't complain about that...awesome bike.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Sorry I was so excited i missed your request, The rear LED is from KTM Hardpart. My EE just wore out, the bulb holder was not holding the bulb tight and it was leaking water in. A bulb was lasting a ride.
    i have ten hours and the LEDs are nice and bright, my brake light even works.
    I am not a safety nut, but it is nice on the trail for the guy behind to know your on the brakes.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,