Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

1982 YZ250 project

Re: 1982 YZ250 project

Did Mike pick up a bike yet?
    Should we tentatively be planning a small outing/debut somewhere?
    I'm game for whatever - do you guys plan on registering or no?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post
    Just picked it up today! I do plan on registering it. will try to get that done next friday

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post
    that sounds like a good idea, as soon as I can get my hands on a cylinder I'll be in better shape to know when this thing is going to run.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Updated pics with the rear shock installed as well as handlebars. Check out the bottom pic, just found that. Not a good way for a motor mount to look. Guess what that black stripe.

Attachment 14687

Attachment 14686

Attachment 14684

Attachment 14685

Attachment 14688

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

That thing is insane. That shock is wild, and the coolant in the frame. WOW. Nice work

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    That thing is insane. That shock is wild, and the coolant in the frame. WOW. Nice work

KB
    yeah, by the looks of it, you have to wonder if the engineers were drunk when they came up with some of it.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

yamaha part # 5x5-21415-00-00

Sorry i don't have one in stock.. It's looking good keep up the good work

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

yeah, most of my stuff i have been getting through partforyamaha.com. they've been pretty good so far, had everything i've asked for and they ship parts as they are available so my first order actually came as 4 shipments, the last shipment only consisted of a washer. A+ service.

but with that being said.... if you think you are able to get some of the stuff for a bike this old, i'd gladly keep the business with in the board. i'll let you know if i need to make any other orders.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    yeah, most of my stuff i have been getting through partforyamaha.com. they've been pretty good so far, had everything i've asked for and they ship parts as they are available so my first order actually came as 4 shipments, the last shipment only consisted of a washer. A+ service.

but with that being said.... if you think you are able to get some of the stuff for a bike this old, i'd gladly keep the business with in the board. i'll let you know if i need to make any other orders.
    It wouldn't have suprised me to have it in stock, in the back under an inch or two of dust. Just offering up the P/N.

Honestly I wasn't whoring out the shop, that's not why I am here, but I did check and am always willing to help.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    It wouldn't have suprised me to have it in stock, in the back under an inch or two of dust. Just offering up the P/N.

Honestly I wasn't whoring out the shop, that's not why I am here, but I did check and am always willing to help.
    well.... "might" need a new cylinder, piston, rings, what are the chances? what are the chances of a ridiculous blow out price?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

The past few days have been a bit of a boring at times and a struggle at other times.

The boring: I had been waiting on a parts order to arrive so I got some small stuff done. The front end is completely buttoned up. Forks are done and mounted, radiator is mounted, handlebars are mounted, front brake is mounted, hooked up and adjusted, clutch lever is mounted, throttle tube is mounted, front number plate is mounted, front fender will go on soon. Oddly enough when I washed all the other plastics, I somehow forgot the front fender and the gas tank. Duh.

The electronics have been cleaned up and mounted, all connections have been checked.

The rearshock and swing arm have been completed, all bushings/bearings/seals are installed. Entire linkage is installed and torqued to specs. Airbox is in as well, still working on cleaning the filter. May end up replacing it, but trying to avoid the additional order. I've also cleaned up a lot of the small parts that came off during disassembly to speed things up when I'm putting it back together.

The struggle: My parts order included a new crank bearing seal and a new magneto nut that goes on the crank shaft. When I got the order in, I went to twist the nut on to the crankshaft so I wouldn't lose it and it wouldn't go. After closer inspection, the threads were peened over on the crankshaft (this is the shaft I got off ebay). I'm guessing the guy I got it form whacked it out of the case with a hammer. First thing I did was dry fit the shaft into the cases and check my tolerances to make sure that the shaft wasn't bent. Everything seemed good so I stuck with it. Once I knew the shaft was good I went to work on the threads to clean them up. this was easy, but time consuming. Finally last night I got the threads done and the magneto nut twists right on. i also threw in the new crank seal, much better than the last one I banged up.

So, as it stands now I should be able to put the bottom end back together over the next couple nights and install it in the frame. Stay tuned. I'll try to get up some new pics tonight.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

some of the work won't be very glorious, and often very painstaking but it'll all be worth it in the end

keep up the good work!

so, i've gotten the bottom end together. then took it apart. then put it back together. and in about 20 minutes i'll take it apart again.

everything spins nice and free, then when i put any amount of torque (barely hand tight) the main shaft binds up. i can still spin it, but it takes a bunch of effort. i've gone over the schematics 50k times and I don't see that i'm missing any washers or the like. can't figure it out. everything else still spins freely. this is becoming the biggest challenge yet.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

okay, so fingers crossed i should be getting the parts bike from jane this Saturday. if that happens, things should start to move pretty fast. Couple questions, what should I be looking for/considering while doing the top end?
    I've done top ends in dirt bike before but I was like 12 yrs old and it amounted to taking of the cylinder, install new piston rings and biolt it back together.
    Now that I am a couple years older and wiser, what else should I be looking at? I'm guessing compression at least. Any recommendations on a compression gauge or will any cheapo do?
    What about "squish"? I have a rough idea of how its done and why its done, but a) due to the age of the bike, should I not care or should I care more about the squish? b) is there a rough range the squish should be? I can't find anything useful online.

any info *cough*paul*cough*

Last edited by BMFR6; 04-29-09 at 01:31 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Hone the cylinder if it's in good shape. New rings. Done!

If it's in bad shape, bore + new piston/rings.

Don't worry about squish on that old beast.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

A Graham Bell's book on 2 stroke tuning is what you need. It's a great reference book anyway. I can look up general squish guidlines when I get home, but I', thinking that 1mm would be desireable if you plan to run unleaded pump fuel. You can increase/decrease the squish by adding/subtracting base gaskets.

to measure it just assemble the topend with a thin peice of solder wire laying across the top of the piston cut to the bore size. Use a peice of putty to hold it in place 90 degrees to the frame. Turn the motor just once to squish it. measure as cloe to the outer edge as possible with calipers.

Piston prep on older bikes is important for reliability. You should chamfer the upper edge of the ring slot around the exhaust side of the piston as well as the entire skirt edge.

Checking ring gap will be important also. I'd have to look that up in Bell's book also.

A thin smear of bellray on the base gasket will make life easier the next time around.

Paul_E_D

Or throw a ring at it and smack it back together and pray!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    everything spins nice and free, then when i put any amount of torque (barely hand tight) the main shaft binds up. i can still spin it, but it takes a bunch of effort. i've gone over the schematics 50k times and I don't see that i'm missing any washers or the like. can't figure it out. everything else still spins freely. this is becoming the biggest challenge yet.
    Not sure about that motor, but often you have to set the axial play... with the bearing races and shims. Tolerances can be just a couple thousandths.
    If that's a replacement crank from another motor I'd say chances are high that the axial play is off.
    Again, though... I know nothing about that motor.

hhmmm. the crank spins freely, its the main shaft in the transmission that binds. i wonder if a bearing got cock eyed when i heated up the case to install the crank bearings. good thought mike, much appreciated.

paul, thanks for your 2 stroke knowledge above. rings and praying, like claytons advice, might be on the menu. i go to church a couple times year so it should work out right?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

uh oh. wait until you guys see what is going through my mind now. i'll fill in the details later, but i got the parts bike from Jane. the possibilities are endless now.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

So... any updates?

Need an update please...

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

lol, sorry, i've been a bit busy.
    so on Saturday I received the parts bike from Jane (can't thank her enough!) and found out its not actually the exact same bike. The parts bike is at least an 83 or later as it has side mounted radiators rather than the front mount one. I haven't gotten to spend very much time with it since I received it, but at first glance it looks like the engine "should" be a direct bolt swap to the 82 frame. Keep in mind I haven't gone through this engine yet to see what shape its in, but theres compression at least. So right now I am just considering putting the 83 engine in the 82 frame so I can get it up and running and get some seat time (the 82 is giving me issues on the bottom end and there are more bearing replacements in my future which I don't have time for right now). The coolant lines look like they should mate with the engine without any issues as well if I run the stock 82 radiator. Option B with this plan is seeing if I can mount the 83 radiators on the 82 frame as well, this eliminates the front mount radiator and the potential of seized head bearings in the future. That part seems very feasible as well. the issue I am going to have is by using the 83 radiators, I also have to use the 83 tank, which in turn means the 83 seat. After 82, yamaha changed the rear shock so it is not the length of the frames back bone, this could cause fitment issues with the tank and seat. as soon as i get to spend some time on the 83 i'll know better, just need to get it drained and the plastics off and i'll know what will and won't fit the 82.
    stay tuned, tonight and tomorrow could be a busy time.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I like your dedication!!!!

You are insane. Come say hi if your at the track sometime.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

we've met. i drank your beer during the supermoto race in '07 i think. But I'll be happy to drink your beer again.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)