Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

1982 YZ250 project

Re: 1982 YZ250 project

Too funny... I thought my ears were burning!

This year has been ridiculously busy for me so far. Besides getting engaged and planning a wedding, work has been crazy and I've been travelling a lot. I'm planning on selling the R6 as soon as I have some time to put her back together. The CR hasn't seen the light of day yet this year. I'm a little scared to take the cover off it and see what old man winter did.

This is the first year since 2002 I haven't thrown my leg over a bike yet and its mid-May already. grumble grumble

Mark this thread is a joy to read bro. You've done some awesome work on the bike thus far. Did you get the pod filter yet?

You're welcome to use my plate, although I think it expires this year - not sure what month.

Are you guys riding this weekend? If my CR will run without much work (other than changing the fluids) I might be game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

have fun with the wedding planning, after it's all over you'll be wondering what to do with your free time!

Not sure if I can swing this weekend or not, still need to take care of a few things on the bike before a) it's rideable b) it's safe

so far it's been a fun project, keeps me out of trouble anyways. if not this weekend, we'll get out soon.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Hey - just make sure you don't stand in the RMV line in Worcester.
    The ORV registration building is across/down the street (walking distance)

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. Cleaned the carb, threw it back in and it will run and idle off the choke now. I'll consider that progress however, I rode it around my yard a couple laps and it bogs when the throttle is applied. It doesn't bog to the point of stalling, but its not right. Thoughts?
    Other things that may be related:
    Gas is mixed 24:1 right now. The ratio the manual gave was oil brand specific; one brand 20:1 and another brand 24:1. I have golden spectro which was not one of the brands so I went on the leaner side. Does Golden Spectro run even more rich than most and could this be a factor in the bogging?
    The engine is the 83 250, but I am using the 82 carb and electrical system. The coil from the 83 is bigger than the 82, is it possible I'm not generating enough spark? It's a new plug, gapped correctly to the manual for the 83.

My last thought is maybe I just need to get somewhere and ring its neck to "clean it out"; but I really don't think the bog is attributed to that. Although I have been wrong before.

Any quick guesses before I pull the carb again and look for things wrong?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Raise the needle one or two notches. Sounds like it could be running lean.

Could be from an air leak somewhere too, bring a can of WD-40 and spray the carb boot while it's running, see if it changes at all.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

my thought as well, jetting, since you cleaned the carb good. here's a generic diagram i keep handy that may help as you test. needle position would be an easy way to see if you get any positive results

Beta 200RR

Mark, my tires are on the way. All I need after that is a new clutch cable and it will be rideable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Could be from an air leak somewhere too,
    bingo. i'm thinking that is it. making this reed boot work with the 82 airbox causes the carb to be crooked where it mates with the reed boot. my money is on it's sucking in air there. pod filter will fix that.

awesome mike . i think we need to plan a get together for some testing soon. how long until the tires arrive?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

They shipped today. So early next week they should be here

nice! you get some irons yet? they can be mounted pretty quick and we could potentially be riding soon

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

no irons yet.
    Still need gear as well. ugh.
    I guess street gear will have to suffice for now

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    my money is on it's sucking in air there. pod filter will fix that.
    just realized you are right in Worcester, i'm up in Princeton near the mountain... if you have a long wait on the UNI filter and the I.D.s are similar, i have two pod filters in the garage. more than welcome to borrow one for weekend testing

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    just realized you are right in Worcester, i'm up in Princeton near the mountain... if you have a long wait on the UNI filter and the I.D.s are similar, i have two pod filters in the garage. more than welcome to borrow one for weekend testing
    nice, thanks for the offer. I'm not going to worry about it right now though as I didn't have time to get registered yesterday so I couldn't do any actual testing this weekend anyways. it's getting closer though.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    nice, thanks for the offer. I'm not going to worry about it right now though as I didn't have time to get registered yesterday so I couldn't do any actual testing this weekend anyways. it's getting closer though.
    no sweat

Beta 200RR

if all goes as planned, Mark and I will be testing out or new dirty toys next Saturday morning in Oxford, Ma. heehee, can't wait!

yup, 5/30 seems like the official test date. can't wait! pod filter should be on my doorstep when i get home (i think). once that is on, my bike should be read to ride, will just need some "on the fly" adjustments. don't suppose anyone has any 10.5 boots they are looking to unload?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Lifer

The bogging when you open the throttle could just be giving it too much gas for the RPM... Take it in an open field in second gear and roll the throttle on - at about 1/2 throttle the exhaust note should change, and it should pull really hard.

Air leaks are usually a high idle, or a whistle. But, you can check for them by getting the motor running and spray carb clean where you think there is a leak - if the engine note changes - you've found the leak.

As long as you're running good premix in fresh gas the ratio isn't critical (20:1 vs 32:1) - just be consistant, and read your plug to look for problems. Reading the plug also tells you if the jetting is close - an online search should give you the stock jetting (82 vs 83 shouldn't matter too much) - and a good place to start...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Good luck guys - hope it goes real well for you.
    Sorta kinda tricky place to get to/find - try and find some directions online from another rider. My first time there, I went to the actual dam, not the place to be (no riding).
    Simple to get to IF you know where you are supposed to be going.
    I'd love to join, but can't this w/e.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Yeah, the dirtbike trailhead is not at the dam. The map on their site is way too small too see road names, but looks like it would be off Clara Barton road which is off route 12.

i'll do some searching on the interwebz tomorrow.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

cool. I also ride ride by clara barton rd on my way to Sheldon's, I'll take a quick side trip and see what's down there

you guys are right, Clara Barton Rd. is the one you want off Rt 12. after you turn onto Clara Barton, drive in a bit then take a left where the road begins to fork. looks like thats called Wallace Ct. but i dont remember a sign.

parking area is just down that road before the gate. havent been in a few years but i bet its the same.

Beta 200RR

perfect, thanks!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

no problem.

you wont be able to ride down the access road (if i remember correctly) but just hop in the trail head before the gate to the left, then follow it to right for a bit and you can pop back up onto the road. its paved for a while but if you head back towards the sand pits theres some long stretches of dirt road you can rip up and down on to do testing.

i wouldnt rip up and down the paved section, just keep going back and you'll see the long stretch i'm talking about. its all dirt.

not that big of an area so its pretty easy to get the layout.

Beta 200RR

I just purchased an 82 YZ 250 project bike and while searching around the web, stumbled onto this thread. This is awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Luckily I bought mine running but all bearings, spacers, airbox and tires need to be replaced.

I have a the owner's tuning and service manual in PDF format if you have questions on anything. It shows how to adjust/replace/tune everything from the engine to the spokes. It's a humongous file but I can send you any page you need.

Like for instance it explains how much fork oil to use. I know you had asked that question a few pages back. It says it takes 20.5oz of fork oil in each fork.

The problem i'm having is with the rear wheel assembly. The previous owner obviously lost some of the bushings, tightening bolt and spacers and replaced them with washers, lock washers and bushings that do not fit. I can tell that it is out of alignment too because if you look in the one pic you can see the heads of the bolts on the sprocket are rubbing on the swingarm.

Is there anyway you can take some up close pics of the rear axle assembly so I could get an idea of what it should look like???

It shows it in the parts diagram I have but its hard to see what it would look like all put together.

Last edited by Doyle670; 05-21-09 at 10:47 AM.