Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

1982 YZ250 project

Re: 1982 YZ250 project

Wow, so there are two of us in the world huh? Good luck getting yours completed, its a good time! I have relied heavily on http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/p.../2/Yamaha.aspx
    to order my parts, they have been top notch. Regarding your question on the rear wheel, I can snap some pics tonight for you. You might also want to check the schematics from that site I just posted, not sure if it is more clear than the drawings you have. I think you are right about it being out of alignment judging by the nail used where the adjuster should be! So are you just going to make it rideable, or try a full on restore?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Thanks for the reply. Yes i've checked out the site you listed already. It's a good site.

The problem I have with the diagrams is they are all expanded views to show each individual part. I can't tell if a bushing sits inside the rear axle or against a bearing or against a race. So I can't really tell what I can use off of my bike and what I can't. I have been trying to find some info on it when I stumbled across your thread.

Also alot of the parts don't show a price on the website. Which I assume means you can't order that part. Like the rear axle bolt, I think it may also be the wrong bolt and that part doesn't have a price listed next to it on the diagram.

As for my plans, my plan is to replace all bearings, all fluids, grease everything, replace broken and cracked pieces then ride it a little bit. This will give me an idea as to whether I want to do a full restore or not. It will also tell me if there are things I need to replace that I find while riding it, so that I can make a note of fixing it while I tear it down.

And one last thing, let me know how you make out with the pod air filter. The air box on mine is missing the cover, so I popped it open and there was just some cheesy filter like material that was just sitting in there. I looked up the price for that stuff and the filter, cleaner, box and cover is way too expensive. So I'd like to do the pod air filter also. It won't be original but it will still look good.

Attachment 15142

Attachment 15143

Attachment 15141

Attachment 15140

Attachment 15144

sorry, these pictures kind of suck. if they work for you, cool. if not, let me know and i might have time this weekend to pull the whole wheel off and take some better pics

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Lifer

All of the bearings and seals in the bike are standard - some of the needle bearings may be a little tough to identify, but they're all off the shelf items. If you need a second source - head to a local bearing house, a good auto parts store, or McMaster.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Where's the ride report??

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

haha. this coming saturday is the big day.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Oh Man! I thought it was yesterday.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Thanks for putting up the pics, it helps a bunch. I do believe the bolt that is in my bike is the wrong one. I'll have to see if I can track down a new one.

Keep us updated on how you are making out.

Well...... it began about two months ago so lets start with a quick remembrance.

Attachment 15240

Attachment 15239

Attachment 15243

Last edited by BMFR6; 05-26-09 at 09:28 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

And now she is 99.9% complete, All that is left, DNF Racing stickers, #165 on the plates..... and I think I should actually bolt the seat down. Once those 3 things are done, she's a complete bike. Now, come Saturday morning, the shakedown begins for Southwick 6/20. Let the games begin!
    Attachment 15242

Attachment 15241

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Lookin good! And yeah, it might be a good idea to bolt the seat down. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Lookin good!

Beta 200RR

Yeah! :thumbsup:

I'd have some jetting choices handy. You're gonna need to dial that in a little. Pick up a couple of pilots and mains (a little leaner and a little fatter)

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yeah! :thumbsup:

I'd have some jetting choices handy. You're gonna need to dial that in a little. Pick up a couple of pilots and mains (a little leaner and a little fatter)
    yeah, i'm sure i'll be picking your brain a little bit regarding the jetting. can't wait to get out and ride the thing!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

hahahaha, ok. So I just rode the WR at hodges, wow. Only managed to fall twice in an hour. lol. These things are fun

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    hahahaha, ok. So I just rode the WR at hodges, wow. Only managed to fall twice in an hour. lol. These things are fun
    It only gets better!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

What the fuck is Hodges?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    What the fuck is Hodges?

KB
    there needs to be a KB Cliffs Notes entry at the beginning of every thread. hodges (sp) is a small dirty riding area in oxford, ma. apparently it works out well when you need to "test" a dirty bike with out going far or being too far from your tool box/trailer.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Wait til you ride with a group! Then the crashing will begin in earnest.

Paul_E_D

Hey BMF, not that it matters now, because you are mostly completed, but for future reference, there are a bunch of parts that will fit a 1982 yz490 that will also fit a 1982 yz250.

I picked up a rear axle, all the spacers, bushings for a yz490 on ebay. I'll be able to get rid of the mess that's called a rear axle on my bike now.

I'll be anxious to read your ride report. Make sure to keep us updated.

yeah, you could actually drop the 490 engine into the frame if you really wanted to, it's all fairly inter-changeable.

can you do me a favor and take a look at the right side of your headstock and tell me how many digits are in your VIN?

Are you going to try and register yours?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDE REPORRRRRRRT....

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post
    RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDE REPORRRRRRRT....
    lol. i love riding in the dirt, it's just so much fun!

me and mike only put in about an hour and a half or so, but it was enough to give the bikes an initial shakedown. the yz ran "ok", not where i would like it to be, but it could have been much worse. started every time after a couple kicks. really need to do some tuning on the carb and i think at least a new set of rings are in order. like i say, it ran okay, but not like a real 250 should. i guess the best way i could describe it, "lazy and a little weak", perhaps a 250 with a hangover would be a good explanation. the suspension..... lets just say that me being so light is the only saving grace and actually i fear that as soon as the engine is running like a real 250 and my pace picks up, the rear shock is going to be a real factor.

hodges was a decent time though, perfect for what i am trying to do. i think a day off from work and a handful of pilot and main jets might be in order. we found a pretty decent set of whoops for the future, little too big to attempt to rail today though. had a great time and stayed on two wheels. i can't thank noel enough for the "freeride" style pants. back to the parking lot and the legs zip off to shorts......... i hope who ever designed those is making millions, they deserve it.

so, as of right now, the bike is back in the basement so i can take care of a few things. i'll put up a more detailed performance post shortly as i trouble shoot the bikes laziness.

i'll also let mike put up his own report, i don't want to steal any of his thunder

Last edited by BMFR6; 05-30-09 at 10:31 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I had an 86 yZ250, had a yamaha engine, honda frame, kawasaki stock handle bard, it was a Frankenstein.

my ride report
    Logs-1, Mike-0. lol.
    Had a blast, the bike still has some clutch issues, but it was rideable. Just made slow tight stuff veery difficult.
    Having never ridden dirt before, this is a totally different game to me, but I'm getting used to it. Just need more practice.
    I completely looped it once doing some masochistic hill climb. But I figured that 82 YZ made it up, why can't I? haha. Got a aout half-way up on a second attempt, rear tire buried and i just gassed it and over she came!
    Then I decided that crossing a bunch of logs, roots, and sticks would be a good idea instead of taking the cleaner line. Yeah, I learned then that damp wood is slick, ended up breaking the clutch lever so I was done.

All in all, it was awesome. Learned a few things, as well as what spares/tools to have on me in the trails.

Can't wait to get back out there