Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

1982 YZ250 project

Re: 1982 YZ250 project

nothing wrong with vintage

pics from a ride with the YZ here:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...tml#post720561

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    yeah, you could actually drop the 490 engine into the frame if you really wanted to, it's all fairly inter-changeable.

can you do me a favor and take a look at the right side of your headstock and tell me how many digits are in your VIN?

Are you going to try and register yours?
    Jeez BMF, I just happened to be browsing back through the thread and totally forgot to check this out for you.

I assume you are talking about the number stamped on top of the case right above the kick start? My number looks like 5X5-005502. Although its a little hard to make out the numbers.

Let me know if this was the number you were looking for.

How's the bike running?

Mine is running great. Still have to get a new front tire(ordered), take care of a small oil leak and mig weld a couple spots that I need straightened out. Like the rear brake stop is so worn down, so i'm going to dab a bit of weld on it to get it to return to the right position. Otherwise, rear tire/axle is all good, i've been replacing missing bolts and incorrect bolts with new correct ones, made some new radiator mounts because 3 out of the 4 were broken and zip-tied. Threw on a quick coat of paint.

Will post pics soon.

A few pics......

looking good! nice work!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Three years later....and I need help removing my spring. Got some advice?

screw the YZ, we wanna see pics of the Bultaco!

Beta 200RR

holy crap..what happened to this bike Mark?

Lifer

This thread is nice to see. I owned a 1981 YZ125 a long time ago. I remember it well because it was a basket case when I got it, and the Clymers manual transmission schematic was wrong - I had to split the cases 4 times before i could get it to shift correctly. According to the manual - 1,2,4,3,5,6 - was the way it was supposed to be.
    The steering head bearings and seals were particularly problematic for a lot of them, as the coolant flowed through the stem.
    It is really neat seeing one brought back to life! I would personally like to find a 1979 model myself....

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    screw the YZ, we wanna see pics of the Bultaco!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HjUiLtsDI

Ok here's a link for a Bultaco photo. But, I really need to know how to remove the spring on my '82 YZ 250 shock. What's the trick?

Lifer

Nice Bultaco! Needs a period correct headlight, IMO. To get the spring off of the mono-shock, you probably need to build a spring compressor. You can do this by bending some small hooks at one end of 2 pieces of threaded rod, then making a slotted plate with two holes in it (to accommodate the other ends of the threaded rod) for the other ends. Or, you can try putting a whole bunch of zip ties on the spring, and incrementally tightening them, until you can get the slotted collar off.

I figured it out. It was stupid-easy. The compression nut backed off just enough to release all spring tension. The slotted collar was actually two halves that easily came out. I got the spring off and have a new, HD spring from Race Tech arriving in a few days.

On the Bultaco photo: I have a period correct headlight/number plate, but I've been motocrossing this bike and the front brake cable was getting hung up. Love my Buls.

I started reading the first page of your rebuild and thought about the powervalve immediately. My old RZ350 had the same valve. I skipped to page 8 and seen you had found problems with yours. What metal is the valve made of? You could weld up the holes and then drill new ones for any size pins you have. The valve will eventually need servicing, so welding the two halves together isn't the best idea. Also, there appears to be raised sections where they meet in the center? I'd file those down smooth like the '82 valve.
    After sorting out the pins, make sure the valve is mechanically working. If it is stuck "open" then your bottom end power will feel lazy/weak until you get "on the pipe" and get major wheelspin or a wheelie. If the mechanics that operate the valve are junk, then you could lock the valve in the middle for a compromise between bottom/top end power.

Forgot all about this thread! Had the bike running and functioning, sold it off to some crazy redneck kids at the rutland town wide yard sale. Would have loved to have kept on going with it but space turned into a premium at here once the baby came.

Been tinkering with a '77 Peugeot Moped off and on for a bit now. Pretty much cafe'd out (as much as a moped can be), going to build it to 70cc...... should be deadly. I'll put a thread together on that when its done.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

you get those power valves sorted out?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789