Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2 wheels to utv?

2 wheels to utv?

So long story short I crushed my right hand at work and lost my thumb. I have options down the road as fr as moving my toe to make a thumb. But we are looking at over a year with ot. What is everyones take on getting a utv to get back on the trails? I would look at the 50" so I could hopefully use it at Hop-Ev. Well lay it on my

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

Re: 2 wheels to utv?

Well that sucks! Which hand lost the thumb?

I say why bother switching to a UTV when 2 wheels will still be accessible. When I was younger, I broke my right thumb on 2 different occasions. With my thumb unusable in a cast and immobilized in a manner that didn't allow for a proper grip on the bars, my hands were large enough to get suitable grip on the throttle with just my 4 fingers (pinched between my fingers and the very top of my palm. I could still use the front brake with my index and middle fingers but the full size lever would hit my knuckles. If my condition was permanent, I would have installed shorty levers but I chose to live with it for the 6 weeks I was in a cast. If I was in your situation and the 4 finger grip doesn't work, I would be looking for a simple prosthetic that could be worn to provide the under the bar grip that you need so you can actuate levers correctly.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

my right hand was the one that was crushed and lost the thumb. My other issue is right now prob for the full time of ot my fingers won't have a lot of range of motion. which makes transitioning from throttle to brake hard and prob have to let the throttle go. Which is why i was looking at the utv. Not that I like 4 wheels

Last edited by flippedr6; 07-12-17 at 10:06 PM.
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

Lifer

Swap the brake and clutch masters, and install rekluse auto clutch?

There's also something like the Clake which is usually rigged to do rear brake on the bars but I'm guessing could be applied to the front as well. This lets you operate clutch and brake from the same bar independently.

Or, just don't use the front brake

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Jeff,

A UTV is a solid option to get you back out there doing something you enjoy until you feel you are at a point where you can get back on two wheels! Pretty sure you've been to Jericho before and you know the amount of trails that are available for the UTV community. I say do it. What's the worst that could happen? You wind up selling the stuff later on and lose a little money. At least you will have been out there.

Joel

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by flippedr6 View Post
    My other issue is right now prob for the full time of ot my fingers won't have a lot of range of motion.
    I understand now. You aren't giving up 2 wheels, you just need a toy while you recover. In that case, you don't need justification from anyone here. In the 50" market, you have a number of options from Arctic Cat, Polaris, and Honda. Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with them.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Swap the brake and clutch masters, and install rekluse auto clutch?

There's also something like the Clake which is usually rigged to do rear brake on the bars but I'm guessing could be applied to the front as well. This lets you operate clutch and brake from the same bar independently.

Or, just don't use the front brake

My first instinct as well was to plumb the front up to a clake.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by flippedr6 View Post
    So long story short I crushed my right hand at work and lost my thumb. I have options down the road as fr as moving my toe to make a thumb. But we are looking at over a year with ot. What is everyones take on getting a utv to get back on the trails? I would look at the 50" so I could hopefully use it at Hop-Ev. Well lay it on my
    how much did you loose?

one joint or two?

ive been close to where your at but was able to keep everything.

ive fubared my hand more than once (either bones sticking out or crushed and everything peeled back so you can see bone)

last thing was a year ago where i had a thumb bone sticking out at the first joint.

i've done recluse, custom glove and UTV

also we build adaptive stuff for driving cars so it was easy to whip up some stuff for my bikes.

i even made my own hand splint glove thing so i could work and ride stuff with little to no input from my thumb.

when it was bad the utv with power steering worked good.

fwiw: we just became a cfmoto dealer and have a 50" in stock (we need to put it together) we also have a bunch of 60" wide UTV's too.
    cfmotoma.com

ATV's with power steering too. it wouldn't be all that hard to move all the atv controls to the left side.

Over the past 30+ years we've set up more than a few ATV's UTV's and trikes for guys in need of different kinds of adaptive equipment.

Feel free to pm and or call.

Jim

jim

"Molon labe"

go for it,

consider the Kymco for significantly less $$ than others (Arctic Cats are just rebadged Kymcos) my UXV450i is 54" wide, fits in 8' pickup bed and doesn't require SxS width (60") trails

2 wheels to utv?-img_0756-jpg

Last edited by RandyO; 07-14-17 at 12:12 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Id rock the shit out of a utv

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Id rock the shit out of a utv
    Yeah but you like Nickleback so Jeff will have to take your advice with that in consideration

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Yeah but you like Nickleback so Jeff will have to take your advice with that in consideration
    weak...like nickleback

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    how much did you loose?

one joint or two?

ive been close to where your at but was able to keep everything.

ive fubared my hand more than once (either bones sticking out or crushed and everything peeled back so you can see bone)

last thing was a year ago where i had a thumb bone sticking out at the first joint.

i've done recluse, custom glove and UTV

also we build adaptive stuff for driving cars so it was easy to whip up some stuff for my bikes.

i even made my own hand splint glove thing so i could work and ride stuff with little to no input from my thumb.

when it was bad the utv with power steering worked good.

fwiw: we just became a cfmoto dealer and have a 50" in stock (we need to put it together) we also have a bunch of 60" wide UTV's too.
    cfmotoma.com

ATV's with power steering too. it wouldn't be all that hard to move all the atv controls to the left side.

Over the past 30+ years we've set up more than a few ATV's UTV's and trikes for guys in need of different kinds of adaptive equipment.

Feel free to pm and or call.

Jim
    Holy hell CFMoto is making street bikes??!

2 wheels to utv?-b26daca8-09bb-48f7-8014-42be09e5511d

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Yeah. They sell them at a place in Vernon CT too. They seem to be decent and certainly priced lower than the japs. Time will tell if they are worth it.

They've been selling street bikes for almost two decades now IIRC. They've been here under a bunch of different brand names.