Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

200 XC vs 400EXC.....

200 XC vs 400EXC.....

So I've been offered an 06 400EXC for my 200.

It's plated. Lights. Rekluse. Guards.

Runs right.

But, it's got high hours. 400 hours or so, 8k miles on the original motor.

This a "run away Disco Stu" type scenario, or is this "RFS" motor pretty bullet proof?

To be able to ride my 200 between trails would cost me about $650 to get street legal (ish). This is pretty much turn key.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: 200 XC vs 400EXC.....

What is your 200 worth, realistically?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The RFS can be bullet proof if a few known issues have been addressed. 400 hrs I'd be planning to at least take the top end off and have a look-see at what's going on in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    So I've been offered an 06 400EXC for my 200.

It's plated. Lights. Rekluse. Guards.

Runs right.

But, it's got high hours. 400 hours or so, 8k miles on the original motor.

This a "run away Disco Stu" type scenario, or is this "RFS" motor pretty bullet proof?

To be able to ride my 200 between trails would cost me about $650 to get street legal (ish). This is pretty much turn key.

Thoughts?
    400hrs is a lot if it's never been opened. You're looking at 2500ish to have it torn apart and redone right to be good for another lifetime.

what are your plans with said whip?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Don't do it!

High miles scary AF

Plus put it towards pup cause

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Might be getting the $$$ back for most recent vet bill, depending on court outcome.

Goal is to have something I can enjoy in the woods, in between trails locally, and do some ice with.

I agree with the hours being high on this thing. I'll turn it down.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

You sound like me here..

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Might be getting the $$$ back for most recent vet bill, depending on court outcome.

Goal is to have something I can enjoy in the woods, in between trails locally, and do some ice with.
    Take the vet money and spend it on a light kit & associated bits for your 200. You'll probably spend more fending off the boom with that 4-stroke than you would getting your lighter, fully setup, perfectly fresh as a daisy 2-stroke plated.

You have a wee in the garage next to it for christsakes!

Yeah, I know.

If I can sell the 200 for my CL asking price, it'll go. But I won't be trading this thing for a ticking timebomb.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

If you do get out on the 200, I think you'll find you like it a lot. The only problem you have now is yours isn't plated.. which should be solvable.
    They're fine for ice use too. The new WR450 spanks it on the ice in a wreckless, fuck-it-all, lets-throw-all-the-screws-from-this-tire-right-the-fuck-now kind of way. But I think the lighter 200 on less traction generating canadian screws may actually be more fun.

I'm anxious to flip something into something else too. I know it's just because I'm bored with what I have, not because I actually need to swap anything out. I took the plate off my 200. I know if I put the plate back on it and spent the 10 minutes it'd take to get it inspected I'd be happy bombing around locally on it, just as I would be on a larger, heavier, less rewarding 4t dual-sport. And if I threw the time and $ into a fresh top end I bet I'd be rewarded handsomely.

These machines are well worth the investment.. me thinks.

Lash yourself to the deck and keep what you got.

Everything is a ticking time bomb when you get down to it.
    If you took and tossed the 650 at the 200 and whatever it took to get the suspension spot-fucking-on for how you wanted it, you're still ahead.
    The rfs is a great dual sport. The chassis is fairly dated at this point (although still VERY capable), but dated nonetheless. I'd be more concerned that an 06 with that many hours/miles might start to nickel and dime me with other petty stuff. Stuff that all dirt bikes need, but stuff that's bound to have been replaced several times over on an 06.
    If I do well this weekend, I'll officially be in love with the 350. I'll then be recommending that to any and all for what I think you want to do (which is exactly what I'm doing with mine).

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Well, either way, going to be reg'ing the cheap quad for the wife to toss a leg over while I chase her around in a nearby NH trails park. I'll ride the 200 for that and see how I like it. Only have about 4 hours on the thing, may as well try riding it for a while if the $$$ works out for us.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

In a perfect world I'd be willing to swap my 200 for a low-hour, clearly well kept 350 EXC-F or maybe a 450 EXC. But the reality is that aside from not having to carry gas I'm not sure that would make me any happier in life. The 200 is a pretty swell bike. The thing is a peach on the light trails.

#LoveTheOneYourWith

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hmmm.... my 07 450EXC has never been opened (other than valve clearance checks). I don't even know the mileage... but I have not even given the reliability a second thought.

Now you all got me worried before I head down to Hatfield McCoy!

Nah... not really. This motor is so powerful that 90% of the time it is sitting at low rpm's. I can imagine it would be different if it was needing to be revved a lot, but other than the occasional hillclimb - I never need to rev it up.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com