Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NEW 2011 HUSQVARNA/BMW 450 REVEALED

NEW 2011 HUSQVARNA/BMW 450 REVEALED

yumm! looking forward to the new Husky/Beemers

FIRST LOOK! RADICAL NEW 2011 HUSQVARNA 450 REVEALED: BMW 450cc engine, rocker arm shock linkage, crank-mounted clutch, fuel injected, one-piece plastic, Kayaba suspension & ultra thin profile... more info here from motocrossactionmag.com/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 04-28-10 at 03:35 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Re: NEW 2011 HUSQVARNA/BMW 450 REVEALED

Awesome bike!

Motahd!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Best part is, they'll be basing a TE450 dual sport on this platform too.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Crank mounted clutch is a good thing why?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Crank mounted clutch is a good thing why?
    only time will tell if it's 'a good thing' but the crank mounted clutch is only 1 part of a whole new puzzle BMW has been messing with during their dirty bike developments. some quotes from a G450X review which seem relate to this new hybrid bike...

In a unique configuration, the cable-operated small-diameter multi-disc clutch sits directly on the crankshaft, the layout contributing to the 450’s short engine length. An intermediate shaft transfers power to the gearbox, which means the G450X’s crankshaft rotates backwards. The compactness of the engine allowed it to be rotated forward a full 30-degrees to help shift more weight onto the front tire for better bite. Also, tilting the engine in the chassis created enough room for the air intake duct to come in vertically from above in a relatively straight configuration for optimum performance. The lack of traditional chassis down-tubes coming off the steering stem allows for a one-piece, large-capacity radiator. The lightweight unit is equipped with a fan to help draw air through the cooling webs at low speeds.

Perhaps the single most impressive design element of the G450X is the exclusive implementation of a coaxial swingarm pivot/countershaft. A hollow countershaft serves as the swingarm pivot bolt hole, allowing the countershaft sprocket to rotate around the swingarm pivot point. This completely eliminates the need to adjust the chain to accommodate the wild variations in tension due to 12 inches of rear wheel travel. It’s a surprisingly simple solution to a problem that has been the bane of long-travel suspension since its introduction over 35 years ago. It’s ironic that BMW would be the first manufacturer (not counting start-up MotoCzysz) to implement this ingenious design.

An added bonus of the coaxial design, which translates into chain tension remaining constant regardless of rear wheel travel, is that the stresses on the countershaft and transmission are greatly reduced. Removing this variance will undoubtedly prolong chain and sprocket life in addition to removing concerns over proper chain adjustment to accommodate the full arc of travel. The downside of this arrangement is that you have to remove the swingarm to change sprockets. This was addressed with an economical design that facilitates swingarm removal, reducing the procedure – once mastered – to a 15-minute job, according to BMW techs).
    to add any more info i would have to read up on more G450X reviews, testing and race results. last year the clutch didnt work out so well for David Knight...

Good speed but bad luck for Knighter at '09 Tough One.

Making his international debut aboard a BMW Motorrad Motorsport G 450 X reigning US GNCC champion David Knight started the ’09 running of The Tough One hoping to claim a fifth consecutive victory at the UK’s premier extreme hare scramble event. Never before beaten at the demanding two-hour event, Knight looked set to do exactly as he planned and make it five wins from five starts after opening up a commanding lead just three laps into the race. Frustratingly, shortly after opening up 45-second advantage over his nearest rival David ran into a simple mechanical problem, which forced him out of the event.

Changed so as to start with a Le Mans style get away Knight and the rest of the Pro and Expert class riders were faced with a tiring uphill run to their bikes before heading off on their first lap. Reaching the end of the run second David dropped to fifth after he tangled with eventual race winner Taddy Blazusiak. Quickly up to second David followed Wayne Braybrook for much of the first lap. Passing the Gas Gas rider shortly after the start of lap two Knight then attacked the course to pull himself clear of all other riders. With the hard work done, and looking like he was headed towards Tough One win number five, Knight was then forced to ride back to the pits having experienced a clutch problem.

David Knight: “As disappointed as I am, and I am really disappointed, I’m not too frustrated with what happened because I know that my speed was good – good enough to win the race easily. I’m more disappointed for BMW than myself because I really wanted to win for them. Everyone in the team is working so hard getting everything ready for the new season. The Tough One is the only extreme event I’ll do before the start of the world championship, which is why I really wanted to compete and win.

“I made a pretty good start and followed Wayne Braybrook for most of the first lap. Once I got past I pushed hard and opened up a 45 second lead in one-lap. I was really enjoying the course, I felt good, and my bike was going great, but on the third lap I had a problem with the clutch and that was that. We don’t know what the problem is yet, but it’s something simple. We’ve tested different clutch components the whole week before the race and everything was fine. I guess that’s the way things can go some times. But like I said I’m not too disappointed because I felt really good, and my speed was good.”

Beta 200RR