Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 250f advice

Wirelessly posted

Seriously considering picking up a new dirtbike. My 01 yz250f isn't cutting it for me anymore, need some better suspension and handling ability.

To make this clear I am not asking advice on any older bikes or looking for finacial advice, I want to know from people who have ridden these bikes or know about them there opinions of them!

Was thinking kx250f but I'm seeing some reliability issues and really good reviews about the crf and the rmz which were not even an option to me until I did some research, also considering waiting for the 14 yz250f which is finally fuel injected. Any advice???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by hondarider102; 07-01-13 at 02:04 PM.
    Corey

Re: 2013 250f advice

what are you planning on riding, predominantly?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

And buy a New used bike......hold out for that guy who bought a Bnew one and can't dump it...

Wirelessly posted

Pig I was thinking the same thing but I don't have 4-5k to dump so ill be financing.

Chip I'm mainly riding track, hoping to start racing soon enough, places like wareham, mx101, up at Kitts house etc...

Corey

my only hangup is dropping that kind of coin for something you cannot register.
    actually, that kid that pitted next to you at atwoods has one, he loves it. and his is pretty much stock too,

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper
    my only hangup is dropping that kind of coin for something you cannot register.
    actually, that kid that pitted next to you at atwoods has one, he loves it. and his is pretty much stock too,
    Alot of people have them, im just surprised at some of the reviews on thumper talk about changing the piston right away because they blow up and crank bearings blowing within 15 hours.

I don't plan on registering it for the street no matter what,

Corey

Wirelessly posted

The Honda just had really solid reviews, like I said i wasn't even considering it as an option but the reviews it has are making me thing twice, they say suspension and handling is Honda, motor is Kawi... But they blow up often

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Pig I was thinking the same thing but I don't have 4-5k to dump so ill be financing.
    So finance a used bike. Banks and credit unions love giving out loans for this type of stuff. If financing is your thing then borrow a few thousand through them instead of spending 7 thousand on a brand new crf soley because you can't afford to buy one cash.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    So finance a used bike. Banks and credit unions love giving out loans for this type of stuff. If financing is your thing then borrow a few thousand through them instead of spending 7 thousand on a brand new crf soley because you can't afford to buy one cash.
    Also comes down to the newer bikes having the technologies I want, I'm not spending any money in a carbed bike. The oldest I will go is the 2012 Kawi and finding a used one that wasn't beat isn't easy to do

Corey

250 two stroke

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by a13x
    250 two stroke
    No!

Corey

300 2stroke.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper
    300 2stroke.
    No!

Corey

Fine! In that case, bikes I've ridden:

2012-2013 YZ250F: Great bike. Has a carb which feels like a throttle delay when compared to FI. When ridden back to back to the other 250F's the motor feels soft. Once you've ridden it a few laps thought you get moving on it. Handles well. Suspension is really good. Especially the forks. As I recall it's one of the lighter 250's because the FI adds some weigh. No FI = less weight.

2012 RMZ250: Awesome motor. FI gives it instant connection to throttle. Handles okay. Suspension okay. Nice bike.

2014 YZ250F is supposed to be pretty snazzy..... haven't ridden it yet though. Honestly all the 2013's are so damn similar... tough to go wrong with any of them. Good time to capitalize on inventory blowout as dealers look to get 2014's in.

Read this: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/150...-Shootout.aspx Pretty spot on. Nathon & Adam are two of my homies out here and two of the test riders and their feedback is dialed. Seth and I actually were at Perris riding that day (closed track = awesome). The #50 bike below is the one from the test

2013 250f advice-xd_05343-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 250f advice-xd_05343-jpg  

Last edited by a13x; 07-01-13 at 05:28 PM.

KTM 350 sxf. Rides similar to a 250f but more power and lower in the rpms, but not the big power of the 450. And if you're thinking of racing, you don't want a 250f. You'll be riding against mostly kids (high energy, kamikaze riding style) in the 250 classes, or you'll be seriously outgunned in the vet classes.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313
    KTM 350 sxf. Rides similar to a 250f but more power and lower in the rpms, but not the big power of the 450. And if you're thinking of racing, you don't want a 250f. You'll be riding against mostly kids (high energy, kamikaze riding style) in the 250 classes, or you'll be seriously outgunned in the vet classes.
    Hmm see how here is a valid response! I have thought of the KTM's but I haven't thought of a 350 because I didn't want to have to run 450 class when I decide to race, I feel that the 250 power is where I am at as a rider, is the 250 class really that bad when it comes to novice level racing? Am I really better off starting in the 450 class??

Corey

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by a13x
    Fine! In that case, bikes I've ridden:

2012-2013 YZ250F: Great bike. Has a carb which feels like a throttle delay when compared to FI. When ridden back to back to the other 250F's the motor feels soft. Once you've ridden it a few laps thought you get moving on it. Handles well. Suspension is really good. Especially the forks. As I recall it's one of the lighter 250's because the FI adds some weigh. No FI = less weight.

2012 RMZ250: Awesome motor. FI gives it instant connection to throttle. Handles okay. Suspension okay. Nice bike.

2014 YZ250F is supposed to be pretty snazzy..... haven't ridden it yet though. Honestly all the 2013's are so damn similar... tough to go wrong with any of them. Good time to capitalize on inventory blowout as dealers look to get 2014's in.

Read this: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/150...-Shootout.aspx Pretty spot on. Nathon & Adam are two of my homies out here and two of the test riders and their feedback is pretty spot. Seth and I actually were at Perris riding that day (closed track = awesome). The #50 bike below is the one from the test

2013 250f advice-xd_05343-jpg
    Thanks! I agree it really is a toss up, the Honda handles a little better the Kawi has the motor, it's really a toss up between the 2 I think, but Honda and Yamaha have a brand new design for 2014 that's making me think about waiting! Decisions decisions

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Hmm see how here is a valid response! I have thought of the KTM's but I haven't thought of a 350 because I didn't want to have to run 450 class when I decide to race, I feel that the 250 power is where I am at as a rider, is the 250 class really that bad when it comes to novice level racing? Am I really better off starting in the 450 class??
    Vet 30+ Novice is okay in 250 class. Regular 250 Novice (with the young guys) is a pain in the ass. Little bastards are goons.

And electric start is really nice.......

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I have an 09 Kaw, I'd go for the Honda....

Paul_E_D

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D
    I have an 09 Kaw, I'd go for the Honda....
    Interesting... Any reason or reasons why?

Corey

Yes, they just work. I can't really tell the difference in motor, but the honda is easier to set up. A few clicks here and there and I could find a really nice, balanced set up. My Kawi has triples, and worked suspension, and still doesn't get around the track as easily.

Paul_E_D

Wirelessly posted

Yes, they just work. I can't really tell the difference in motor, but the honda is easier to set up. A few clicks here and there and I could find a really nice, balanced set up. My Kawi has triples, and worked suspension, and still doesn't get around the track as easily.
    Looks like ill be waiting till September then, Honda had a much improved bike coming out!

Corey

I'm not convinced you'd ever know the difference. The current 250 class are full racebikes right out of the showroom. They are all above my level. If you want to ride, just get something IMO.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Wirelessly posted

I'm not convinced you'd ever know the difference. The current 250 class are full racebikes right out of the showroom. They are all above my level. If you want to ride, just get something IMO.
    I have a bike for now, the suspension is just toast and it's not worth the Money it cost to rebuild. Maybe I'll get a 2013 leftover, I'm gonna go tomorrow or Wednesday to the dealership

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast