Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2018 Beta RR Enduros + a new tiddler!

2018 Beta RR Enduros + a new tiddler!

the B bikes are progressing nicely for 2018 ... 10.5lb weight reduction for the 2T and 11.7lb for the 4T. so rad they added a 125 to the lineup wonder when the 150 kits will begin to pop up.

the big stink is over removing the kick-start lever (can be added back). i'm not a racer but i think i've kicked my bike over maybe twice (?) in the four years i've owned it. the starter just works... every time.

FIRST LOOK — BETA ANNOUNCE RR 125 TWO-STROKE ENDURO

FIRST LOOK — BETA’S 2018 RR ENDURO

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Re: 2018 Beta RR Enduros + a new tiddler!

I still kick start my 300, but a proper battery would sort that issue. (Off the charger it won't e-start. Kick it once and ride for a short bit and e-start works for the rest of the day.)

Ktm 2ts don't like to cold start off the button.

Ahhhh, beta, less white, moar neon red please.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

huh, i didn't think any KTM's came with electric start

yeah, surprised on the white... many prefer the new red bikes to the older white. they've changed the shape of the rear plastics for MY'18 but Polisport is now making white, red, black and flo yellow for the Betas. nice to see some options.

Beta 200RR

My XTrainer starter is oddly hit or miss. While the bike always starts, it does zing a few times before catching and starting. Cluster has also started acting wanky, some times it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Typical Italian.. haha

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    some times it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Typical Italian.. haha
    Or it's the ghost.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My XTrainer starter is oddly hit or miss. While the bike always starts, it does zing a few times before catching and starting. Cluster has also started acting wanky, some times it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Typical Italian.. haha
    now my KTM joke sucks, nice one

but seriously, that's a bummer. my starter has been flawless. even the orig 2013 battery lasted way longer than i thought it would. i just replaced it for the hell of it + weight reduction. (EarthX)

cluster i removed as soon as the bike was home so i'm not sure if that would have been flaky. one thing i do read, which is kinda true for all bikes, is to thoroughly seal or grease all connectors on the Betas. but even my horn has always worked flawlessly wet and rusted. i haven't done shit with the electrics at all.

forks on the other hand, fuck those things.

Beta 200RR

It's great to see Beta continue to develop their lineup.
    10lb weight loss is huge

Too many toys, not enough time.

No, KTM e start still sucks balls, so your joke is legit... haha

I'm convinced battery life is all in how well you keep it charged in unused months. I just replaced the original battery in my 2006 Yamaha Raptor...can't complain with 11 years from a battery.

I'll go over the electrical connections soon, in the bikes defense, I have slacked on my usual maintenance program.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    now my KTM joke sucks, nice one

but seriously, that's a bummer. my starter has been flawless. even the orig 2013 battery lasted way longer than i thought it would. i just replaced it for the hell of it + weight reduction. (EarthX)

cluster i removed as soon as the bike was home so i'm not sure if that would have been flaky. one thing i do read, which is kinda true for all bikes, is to thoroughly seal or grease all connectors on the Betas. but even my horn has always worked flawlessly wet and rusted. i haven't done shit with the electrics at all.

forks on the other hand, fuck those things.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

I just rode a 2-day dual sport ride with a friend who was on a 2011 KTM 350 XC-F. Half way through day 1, his battery would only hold minimal charge - enough to spin the motor over maybe twice. This proved to be *almost* catastrophic. These newer KTM 4-strokes kick over like they have their crankcases completely full of cold molasses. After he gave up in the heat, I started his bike for him - and instructed him not to shut it off unless absolutely necessary. We made it through the day, and the bike oddly started with the button each time on day 2.
    He later informed us that he had not installed a new battery since he had purchased the bike used, and acknowledged that mistake.
    Modern/recent e-start systems are pretty reliable, *if* they are maintained well. My stock KTM battery lasted 4 years, and was still running strong when I replaced it with a Battery Tender brand lithium battery last year. It felt weird to replace a battery when it is still functioning well, but I knew that the price for failing to do so would be high.
    Aside from that, my '12 KTM350 has impressed me with its incredible reliability and performance. I have had more serious gremlins with my '12 DL-650, than with my KTM. Both were purchased new, and this is completely surprising to me. The times, they are a changing....
    Although I am too heavy, I am totally into the new Beta 125 enduro. Any tiddler with a headlight intrigues me.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    These newer KTM 4-strokes kick over like they have their crankcases completely full of cold molasses.

My stock KTM battery lasted 4 years, and was still running strong when I replaced it with a Battery Tender brand lithium battery last year. It felt weird to replace a battery when it is still functioning well, but I knew that the price for failing to do so would be high.
    The e-start on my 500 EXC works great. It probably has a lot to do with the fuel injection though. It cranks even better since I switched to the battery tender LiFePO4 battery last year after my stock AGM started losing capacity. I have had to kick it a few times and it's not fun in riding boots but it isn't the hardest bike I've had to do.

A couple of years ago I ran into some stranded people on some single track in my area where both had e-start only bikes and they managed to drain both their batteries trying to get the one problematic bike running. My EXE had a larger capacity battery which still fit his battery box so we put my battery in the bad bike and got him fired up. His mostly dead battery was enough to power my EFI which let me get mine started by the kick starter. By the time we got out of the woods, my bike had recovered his battery to a point where his e-start worked normally after we switched batteries back.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-15-17 at 10:09 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

hmmm red/white and 2t. right up my alley

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    hmmm red/white and 2t. right up my alley
    You wouldn't...

Paul_E_D