Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

2019 Husqvarna FE350

2019 Husqvarna FE350

okay, so check boxes include:
    -reliable
    -e-start
    -modern technology/suspension
    -desert tank for longer dual sport rides
    -LAB2V ready in November
    -lightest, dirt biased dual sport bike (plate required, no DRZ400/XR650L/DR650/WR250R/KLR650/KLX300)
    -No 450's/500exc/501/etc.- I'm a 135-140lb beginner rider in my 30's. Those bikes will send me to an early death. No 250's (somewhat under powered for desert?)

low and behold the 2019 Husqvarna FE350

$11,113 out the door + $2,000 in add ons (see below)

I did best to fight my natural Indian instincts...it's going to take a little while, but it'll pass.

Some of my all time favorites include:
    -"you already have a bike, why do you need that?"
    -"you'll break your leg on that. did you hear what happened to your cousin XYZ? his life is ruined."
    -"what if you lose your job?"

ADD ONS
    so I left the bike at the dealer:
    -Goldentyre Fatty front
    -Dunlop D606 Rear
    -ultra heavy duty front/rear tubes
    -Cycra Probend full wrap around handlebars
    -rear disc guard
    -OEM tail mount removed, small undertail, flush mount signals, smaller brake/tail light
    -small bag on rear fender to store spare tube & tool kit. OEM kit doesn't have irons...and I must add a trail stand/pump.

they did not recommend changing any gearing...or suspension. Set the sag, try it out, go from there. Same with the bars.

He highly recommended a steering damper, FMF pipe + tune (~$1,000). 1 hour of labor and the bike will "run right". Also add a steering damper (~$1,000). He does that to all his bikes. I may ask them to wire the bike for my Garmin, & swap out the headlight for a Cyclops LED. They talked about swapping out mirrors.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-19 at 08:40 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Re: 2019 Husqvarna FE350

I don't believe it.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    -lightest, dirt biased dual sport bike (plate required, no DRZ400/XR650L/DR650/WR250R/KLR650/KLX300)
    I mean... KTM 300XC-W, 10lbs plus lighter, rolls with a plate.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I don't believe it.
    whyyyyyyyy

talked to the dealer - I will swing by Monday, ride it 1 hour under 7,000rpm, oil change. May try ASAP so I can take it home the same day. Otherwise I pickup Friday. First ride Thursday the 10th up the local mountain; 70% engine performance for 3 hours.

from the manual:
    -15 hours: oil change/air filter
    -30 hours: check valves
    -45 hours: service fork/shock
    -135 hours: spark plug, piston, change valves, connecting rod, rod bearings/crank pin, oil pressure regulator valve, suction pump, change all engine bearings, change the flywheel
    -annually - change brake/clutch fluids, clean spark arrester, fuel filter, steering head bearing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-19 at 08:05 PM.

I’m shocked.
    Welcome to the modern era.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

haha, ty...come and go ride this, I can still take the YZ out!

just ordered the Cyclops LED bulb for the headlight ($90)

will try it at a few local night woods rides to determine if I need it for LAB2V mornings

gotta read the 42 month warranty - if the FMF pipe/tune/fun voids my warranty, I may not get the tune.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-19 at 08:34 PM.

congrats, man! can't wait for the ride reports.

hah, 'Void Warranty' ... that's my middle name shouldn't the dealer be able to anwer that for you? they're the ones recommending it, right?

Beta 200RR

It doesn't void the warranty, but they'll give you shit if something happens. They have to prove the mods caused the failure to deny the claim.

"beginner rider"?

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    "beginner rider"?
    LOL, He rides dirt more than me that's for sure.

Paul_E_D

yeah...I maybe should have said "novice skills" level rider

did not grow up riding, never watched the rest of the instructional videos, no classes, tons of bad habits, and I've slowed down and don't hit nearly as bad stuff hill climbs as I used to

braap

Lifer

Congrats. Sweet motorbike.

My head gets scratched about the pipe & tune "to get it to run right". That's silly, IMO. ... Although probably true.
    I've ridden a couple EXCs that the owners had "XC-W maps" loaded on. Although I feel like I've ridden a couple EXCs (Emily B's 450 EXC-F maybe?) that were stock and ran "right" to my feel.

Motion-pro makes a lightweight iron set that I can't recommend enough. Couple different kits depending on the axle nut size on your machine. I think all the modern austrian units fit the 27mm set. That plus the little mini bead buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I mean... KTM 300XC-W, 10lbs plus lighter, rolls with a plate.
    I don't think that is true in Cali.

Congrats. You'll have to stay on top of the oil changes due to the quantity in the case, but that's something you already know.

Access to valves is a breeze. So much so that I measured my 450 after each of its first three days. There was no movement, so I'm extending that interval. So far I love the 450.

Have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Congrats. Sweet motorbike.

I don't think that is true in Cali.
    Then again, what IS true in Cali?

Paul_E_D

Yes, 1 quart every 15 hours...I will ask them to add an hour meter

And for California that is another reason - why try to plate a 16+ year old bike when after 2012 (350exc) are excellent performance bike? That’s another reason I went 19 FE350

To “run right” was poorly explained - it’s a Portuguese guy and he said that although CA vehicle code said you can’t change anything on the exhaust, an FMF pipe plus a tune would bring out more power for people that generally ride off road

Edit: reading through some ADV threads, it looks like the de smog also “allows the bike to run as intended”, so it also runs more efficiently, not as lean (won’t need such a high idle), and much cooler. I am reading reports of the bike stalling easier and running the fan more because of the smog equipment.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-28-19 at 10:38 AM.

I like to think that NESR is collectively responsible for this thread being possible. I’m really stoked for you dude, going to be such a great bike.

Agreed! Huge thanks to NESR for the advice and push...helped me get past my fears

Doing my first hour ride before the first oil change

It has a 55-70mph head shake - I am going to ask for the wheels go get balanced.

Initial impressions: “That’s it?”

Still in the break in period, so keeping the throttle under half and RPM’s low. After the first oil change I still have to ride it gently until 8-10 hours, then one more oil change and valve check and I can go ride in the desert. First one scheduled 10/19.

I am finding some power, but unlike the YZ, it is mostly mid range torque. Keep the RPM’s there and she will be happy. I haven’t tested the upper RPMs, but it started to flatten out a bit past it’s sweet spot. Looking forward to seeing how that feels in the dirt, as I actually rode the YZ in mid-RPMs most of the time

Move your butt back at speed and see if that alters the head shake.

Talked to service and my buddy with a 350EXC - the 55mph shake is normal. They did not recommend any balancing

could also try a fender with rear vents (or snip it) ... some fenders can become a sail at speed and mess with handling/feel.

Beta 200RR

got my $88 dealer oil change, and now two hours on the clock...still getting used to it

going to wait for break-in and see how it performs on longer desert rides

pretty sure I'm leaning towards FMF and tune

-----------------------------------------------------------

but

I'm

going

to

hell

....in 3...2...1

because: it kinda sucks

don't get me wrong, it's tight, it's light, nimble, it has adequate power that was damn near immediate, has good brakes, doesn't bottom out, and is relatively easy to control...The bike's sweet spot is the broad, linear, mid range torque - keep it there, and it will have some sort of acceleration. It makes power (and more of it!), but in a different way than a YZ. It is possibly lighter, safer, more reliable, and it IS a better bike!

But it did all those things, in a pretty basic way...it was NOT very exciting.

I fear coming from YZ set the bar for excitement ridiculously high...I walked away thinking "nice little bike...it was kinda fun sometimes" Then I put it away and forgot about it. Had I came from a DRZ/DR650/XR650L the FE350 would be an absolute delight. But coming from the YZ was like dating a stripper first. The YZ is raw, powerful, dangerous, scares you when it's drifting the back end out sideways as you unleash the 43 hp on the pipe. You have to work a tremendous amount to harness that power, and although you're probably not turning faster lap times, there's a certain level of satisfaction from handling it.

The FE350 however, felt like a slightly lighter, smoother, better suspended version of a DRZ400 E model...broad, linear, mid-range power. Easy to ride slow. You can sit and leave it in 3rd all day. No surprise power "hit.

Now I thought this through pretty thoroughly - ADV guys have even said comments like "this is a perfect transition from a YZ"..."it's a nice bike, you're really going to enjoy it". "if you had to have one bike (instead of a light 2 stroke for trails, & a 4 stroke for dual sport), this could do it all." Everyone has been telling me the YZ is a POS and I need to join this century and anything newer will get me there. I don't want a 500exc/450exc/501 - I don't want to kill myself. I was told the 350exc is a hyper bike - it hurt my friends, the previous owners, and future owners. Don't get the KTM. Everide called the FE350 a legit dirt biased dual sport. I thought it all clicked for me. But now I'm wondering if I was wrong...should I have gotten a 450 or 500?

Also - something has to be done about that shake.

Trying to pass a car at 65mph was terrifying...it shook so violently that I felted tempted to just let off the gas...lucky I was riding vertically because any amount of lean would have sent me on a date with the pavement real quick.

The front brake line also hangs right over the key slot. you need two hands (either bend the key slot or pull the brake line) to put in the key. WTF. Riding in 58 degree weather under 20mph threw hot air at your thighs...this thing runs hot. The 3.0 gallon Acerbis tank just gets too wide to get up on the tank. New bike, new tank, same old problems.

I'm already mentally writing this off - was thinking just do LAB2V, do a few desert rides, pay it off, get the title, and trade it in or just craigslist it (are there even any buyers on this model?)

Anyways, it's hard to say for sure...I've put on a whopping 1 hour on dirt, and 1 hour on pavement during the break in.

Going to see how the "fun" factor changes once it's broken in. Going to see if the shake reduces or goes away after I get some time on the new knobbies.

----------------------------------

back in reality...

"fun first ride, still waiting for break in to finish"

"may try an FMF pipe and tune in the future"

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-01-19 at 12:35 AM.

There’s no hit.
    But it will breath fire if you spin up the motor.
    Just balance the front. I assume you’re going to put some more agro tires on anyways, right?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

+1

I think you are asking a lot for interslab speeds out of a 50/50 machine, especially with that tire choice. Either stay off the freeway or go looking for more tame rubber.

I'm running Shinko 700's on both ends of my WR now and find them acceptable. I was thinking that a D606 front paired with this 700 rear would be a pretty sweet 50/50 setup. Although I also recognize that balancing a D606 front is a thing.
    And even with that combo I'm content with constraining the bike to local use and <60 MPH state highways.

You put a GT216 on the front, right? FWIW that's what I have on the front of my 200cc 2t woods/play bike. I hate asking that thing to go faster than 40.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

FWIW you are not the first person that has gone from a 2-stroke dirtbike to a 4-stroke dirtbike and found it "boring". 4-strokes make power in a significantly different manner then 2-strokes and because of this don't have the "hit" that 2-strokes get when they come on to the pipe. That being said the broad power curve of the 4-stroke and the newer chassis/brakes/etc. of the new bike should provide you with a good riding experience in many different types of riding where your older YZ gave you the hit and the adrenaline surge when it almost spit you off. The fact that you were looking for another bike in the first place shows that the YZ was not the ideal weapon for the many different tasks you were asking it to do. Give the new bike some time and you may grow to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There’s no hit.
    But it will breath fire if you spin up the motor.
    Just balance the front. I assume you’re going to put some more agro tires on anyways, right?
    I had a GT216AA front an D606 rear put on before I even brought the bike home...I asked them to balance it and the dealer said to leave it alone. I may just have a different dealer or indy do it.

and I did try to wind it up, the midrange pull was smooth as glass, but then it just fizzled out. my limited experience was do NOT rev it out...you end up losing power.

but then again, the facebook groups say this is pretty much a racebike with a lights - one dude has been riding MX/dual sport bikes since 1965 and the FE350 is one of the best bikes he's ridden...so maybe I'm missing something. he also spent the extra on the exhaust and tune...so maybe that's what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    +1

I think you are asking a lot for interslab speeds out of a 50/50 machine, especially with that tire choice. Either stay off the freeway or go looking for more tame rubber.

I'm running Shinko 700's on both ends of my WR now and find them acceptable. I was thinking that a D606 front paired with this 700 rear would be a pretty sweet 50/50 setup. Although I also recognize that balancing a D606 front is a thing.
    And even with that combo I'm content with constraining the bike to local use and <60 MPH state highways.

You put a GT216 on the front, right? FWIW that's what I have on the front of my 200cc 2t woods/play bike. I hate asking that thing to go faster than 40.
    I'm not planning on doing much more than 55 to cruise and 75 to pass. this is not going to be a road bike, it's a dirt bike that can do a little bit of road...it replaces the YZ duty

but even for those 30 min slab rides to the trails, I am pretty sure it shouldn't vibrate this much. I have a GT216AA on the front of the YZ...I had it balanced and I can run up to 75-80mph (topped out) just fine without a shake. It seems simple to me - I've had this issue before on the YZ - balance it. Shop said no.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    FWIW you are not the first person that has gone from a 2-stroke dirtbike to a 4-stroke dirtbike and found it "boring". 4-strokes make power in a significantly different manner then 2-strokes and because of this don't have the "hit" that 2-strokes get when they come on to the pipe. That being said the broad power curve of the 4-stroke and the newer chassis/brakes/etc. of the new bike should provide you with a good riding experience in many different types of riding where your older YZ gave you the hit and the adrenaline surge when it almost spit you off. The fact that you were looking for another bike in the first place shows that the YZ was not the ideal weapon for the many different tasks you were asking it to do. Give the new bike some time and you may grow to love it.
    I think you hit some very important points here, which should change what I'm expecting from this bike. You are correct, going from a 2-stroke it does feel boring...but it does have more broad, usuable power for a variety of dirt/trail applications. The YZ was almost definitely not better suited to dual sport/trail riding to a purpose built dual sport. But I guess I was just so wowed by all the older 4 stroke MX bikes (YZ426f, '03 YZ450F) that I thought a "race bike with a headlight" would still harness that level of excitement.

At one point Paul was saying the newer bikes have come a long way, and even a new 250 is better than the 450's of the early 2000's...I thought the 350 would be a kick in the pants. I maybe even thought I got the wrong bike and that I'm actually suited towards a 450.

The facebook groups state that it is a great bike, after the tune...so maybe it's time to pony up the extra $1,000 and go Vortex CDI w' an FMF pipe before judging it.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-01-19 at 10:28 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast