Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

2019 Husqvarna FE350

Re: 2019 Husqvarna FE350

Get past the break in, and rev it when you need it. It’ll wake right up and surprise you once you get it spinning.
    It’s no hit, but it’s got plenty of power.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    but even for those 30 min slab rides to the trails, I am pretty sure it shouldn't vibrate this much. I have a GT216AA on the front of the YZ...I had it balanced and I can run up to 75-80mph (topped out) just fine without a shake. It seems simple to me - I've had this issue before on the YZ - balance it. Shop said no.
    Well, okay then. If you got the YZ with the same rubber to do it for you then yeah, I guess you should be able to get the 350 to as well.

I normally do not balance anything. Although I am remembering now that I did balance the front on my DRZ when I put 606's on it. That probably helped.

If you want a REAL hit you need to try some CRACK. Go all in. Easy too, you live in Long Beach. Around here you can't find good crack anymore, it's all heroin and pain killers. CRACK, MAN.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

where is Smutty with the proper 'duh, it's a 4-Joke' commentary give it time man, i agree with the others, the tool is now better suited, but i appreciate the honest feedback. never fun when a big purchase feels like a mistake ... let it break in, tune it a bit, hit your event(s), then decide.

Beta 200RR

agreed, sticking to the plan
    -break in
    -map + exhaust
    -LAB2V, 4ish desert rides
    -decide in the spring

called the shop, they said I don't need a full system, just a $399-$499 slip on + JD jetting for $230

Vortex CDI box is $567 and a full system is $800...so I should budget $700-$1,500 for a map depending on slip on or full exhaust

at the crack

got a couple rough shifts at work, then Vegas this weekend, then next rides include:
    -Thursday 10/10: local/forest/fire road
    -Saturday 10/19: desert
    -Saturday 11/2: desert
    -Saturday 11/16: final shakedown run
    -Fri/Sat 11/29-11/30: LAB2V

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-01-19 at 12:50 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    where is Smutty with the proper 'duh, it's a 4-Joke' commentary give it time man, i agree with the others, the tool is now better suited, but i appreciate the honest feedback. never fun when a big purchase feels like a mistake ... let it break in, tune it a bit, hit your event(s), then decide.
    Don't think I haven't typed it and erased it...

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

okay, I'm drawing the line on the reading/speculation side...we are now fully transitioning to saddle time only

why? because now I'm looking for the wrong answers

Quote Originally Posted by ridexpeditions.com
    But for all the Husqvarna’s good points, we couldn’t quite say we all-out loved the FE350. It’s agile, well-suspended, and effortless to ride thanks to its stupidly low weight – a full 3.2 kilos lighter than the 2016 version. From experienced rider to enthusiastic novice, this bike ticks almost every box. You can adjust the maps, adjust the preload, compression and rebound damping from the top of the forks – just about everything you’d need to out on the trail. The bike is put together immaculately with quality components, and thanks to the clever design has refreshingly long service intervals – all good. WE LIKE THE FE, BUT WE DON'T LOVE IT. But as to that secret ingredient – that X factor that converts a good bike into a must -have machine, we were not really feeling it. The Husqvarna is quite so accomplished that it almost feels like they may have engineered away the personality of the bike. And that may be it’s only downfall.
    nailed it

the problem I have is for over $14,000 (with mods, maps, pipe, warranty, taxes), can't you get a bike you love?

for a brand new bike, this is top dollar for me My Ninja 500R was $850ish. YZ250 $1,600. F150 worth maybe $2,000.

that's why I'm wondering if I just picked the wrong bike

I had a checklist, and this bike meets all those requirements...so maybe my list was not comprehensive...didn't think I had to add "fun"
    -------------------------------------
    seriously I'm done reading

riding only

will update the post in 6 months

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-01-19 at 01:56 PM.

test ride a Beta 390 when the Demo Tour comes your way next year.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Have you been able to tap the rev limiter as you run out the gears yet, or still in a 'break-in' phase?

Nervous front end at high speed can be attributed to excessive preload / stiff rear end relative to the front, or too fast rebound. Makes the bike feel like it's constantly riding on marbles.

nedirtriders.com

Just get a set of 17s, sticky tires and a big brake kit for that Husky.....keep the YZ for dirt fun.

Man I way overreacted...it’s the Indian side of my complaining about the cost.

It will pass...I just need to catch my own thought, ignore it, and give it time.

Had a friend call me too and give the same explanation as TL - coming from a 2 stroke he knows exactly how I feel. He has now long owned a 450L (dialed in) and couldn’t be happier. This an excellent bike for single track/rocky sections/whoops. Sure the YZ can do it, but it's pretty tiring and you can throw money at the YZ and it will never be as good as this bike in the nasty stuff. Sure the 450/501 have more power, but in the tighter technical stuff it can be a disadvantage. My check boxes were not a wide open bike/pavement legs, I wanted the lightest bike (to pickup if I fall) that makes riding difficult/tighter stuff easier and safer.

Got some more info on the tune as well - JD tune + slip on will help, but it only does a little bit as it only affects fueling. Go with Vortex CDI tuner, which has dyno tuned maps made for this bike, and it will be a huge improvement. Pretty penny to pay, but worth it. Pick up some shifts, don’t blow $$ in Vegas and make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Have you been able to tap the rev limiter as you run out the gears yet, or still in a 'break-in' phase?

Nervous front end at high speed can be attributed to excessive preload / stiff rear end relative to the front, or too fast rebound. Makes the bike feel like it's constantly riding on marbles.
    yep, topped out each gear, it just gets buzzy, it stops revving, and the power just flat lines and drops. I will admit I have not fussed with the suspension, but the shop said ride it a bit, then come back and they will set up the sag, then my friend said we'll go find some whoops and adjust the clickers

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Just get a set of 17s, sticky tires and a big brake kit for that Husky.....keep the YZ for dirt fun.
    lol no...wrong tool for the job. This is a lousy street/slab bike, and a mellow supermoto at best...my road duty is a Ninja 500R

Edit: I emailed Tokyo Mods (Vortex dealer in SoCal) and they said the CDI can be used with the stock exhaust. Weird...don’t thy bench test that with a full system?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-03-19 at 03:44 PM.

Hahaa, boring bikes are the ones that you can actually ride fast on. They won't be as exciting when hamfisting the throttle for whoolies and roosting your friends, but try to actually RIDE it FAST and it won't try to kill you.

Solution: Ride faster.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

you mean a plated $3500 CRF250X

JK JK

agreed

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-02-19 at 11:22 AM.

If the head shake is still a problem, you could consider lengthening the wheelbase?

When I re-geared the 450 I had the familiar choice between adding/removing a chain link. I chose to remove and shortened the wheelbase a bit in the process. Head shake got a LOT worse. I went back and added a link, lengthened the wheelbase and the shake got a lot better.

you mean a plated $3500 CRF250X

JK JK

agreed
    Why yes, that 250X would have been a great choice.

Paul_E_D

oh no Paul, noooooooo

the whole point of this was to get away from super old "dirt bikes converted for street use" and getting on a modern, plated-from-the-factory, dual-sport. I don't want a questionable hour top/bottom end. I don't want headlights, license plates, and turn signals falling off every other ride and secured with zip ties. I don't want to the wrong tool for the job, then just "make it work". All of those things are the YZ250 at a savings of over $11,000

anyways, bike @ shop - wheels balanced, & Cyclops LED headlight installed

Contacted a US dealer on the Vortex CDI unit - it' $699 - but from what I've read, the options are:
    1.) euro map (if you can find someone willing to do it) - better than stock
    2.) JD tune - shop will do for ~$330 - definitely better
    3.) Vortex - $699 - "wow that was awesome, why didn't I do this sooner" - dyno tuned, mapped extremely well.

I'd add the $399 FMF slip on for either option

At this point, I would hate, hate, hate myself if I spent $330 and found it to be "better, but not great", then spent the $700 anyways on the Vortex afterwards. I'm into the bike for over $13,500. May as well "do it once, do it right" and spend the other $370 for a Vortex.

After that suspension for ~$1,000 (?)...then it should be done at the $16,000 mark until 1st rec'd top/bottom end rebuild @ 135 hours

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-04-19 at 02:17 PM.

oh no Paul, noooooooo

the whole point of this was to get away from super old "dirt bikes converted for street use" and getting on a modern, plated-from-the-factory, dual-sport. I don't want a questionable hour top/bottom end. I don't want headlights, license plates, and turn signals falling off every other ride and secured with zip ties. I don't want to the wrong tool for the job, then just make it work. All of those things are the YZ250 at a savings of over $11,000

Contacted a US dealer on the Vortex - it' $699 - but from what I've read, the options are:
    3.) Vortex - $699 - "wow that was awesome, why didn't I do this sooner" - dyno tuned, mapped extremely well.

At this point, I would hate, hate, hate myself if I spent $330 and found it to be "better, but not great", then spent the $700 anyways on the Vortex afterwards. I'm into the bike for over $13,500. May as well "do it once, do it right" and spend the other $370 for a Vortex.

After that suspension for ~$1,000 (?)...then it should be done at the $16,000 mark until the first recommended top/bottom motor rebuild at 135 hours
    Grip it and rip it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I still don't believe it.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

oh no Paul, noooooooo

the whole point of this was to get away from super old "dirt bikes converted for street use" and getting on a modern, plated-from-the-factory, dual-sport. I don't want a questionable hour top/bottom end. I don't want headlights, license plates, and turn signals falling off every other ride and secured with zip ties. I don't want to the wrong tool for the job, then just "make it work". All of those things are the YZ250 at a savings of over $11,000

Contacted a US dealer on the Vortex CDI unit - it' $699 - but from what I've read, the options are:

After that suspension for ~$1,000 (?)...then it should be done at the $16,000 mark until 1st rec'd top/bottom end rebuild @ 135 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I still don't believe it.
    I'm with JettaJayGLS.........who are you and what have you done with Bhavesh?

picked up the bike today, I told him the bike was boring, he was confident that an FMF pipe + euro map (NOT the JD kit or Vortex) will be more than enough for 90% of people - they charge $100 to re-map the bike.

Kind of torn here...my friend said it's just a dealer trying to upsell what they sell...they are not Vortex dealers.

sticking to the plan - ride it stock for a few hours first.

Thursday - zip up the local mountain, this weekend again after work to test the headlight

Throw a couple pieces of black gorilla tape over those weights, so they don’t go on walkabout. They don’t look too secure.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I have a modern lighted/plated KTM xc-F250 and I'm all in for 7500. I find it anything but boring. It's my swiss army bike. MX, trails, ice, and paved connectors. It's similar to what you have. I think the 250 might be a little more exciting motor because all the power is up high. It doesn't have the grunt of the 350, but it revs to the moon.

Paul_E_D

that's what I figured...but after 120ish miles & 4 hours, for some reason it still doesn't feel that way

the '99 426F, the '03 450F, the '00 YZ250 all felt like they were more 'fun' to ride because they had more aggressive power delivery. But as we established earlier, all were the wrong tool for the job at hand (lightest, easiest to ride, best suspended trail bike)

did the local run today...but by California standards it's boring. Fire road. Rocky in some areas, smoother in others.

But it's close, it's dirt, and well, the views are generally pretty good

stopped by the most "technical" spot in the area, and did a 'skills day' practice in 1st gear.

Tried to figure out the balance point, where the center of gravity was, how much throttle I could give, how much braking, etc. It's going to be a whole different ball game for downhill with the engine braking.

The shake on the wheels still there, but much more tolerable. Now just a slight shudder after 70ish

also saw this at the end

cap was tight, so I washed it, re-seated the cap, and will check again this weekend

new bikes should not leak

tapped out 2nd/3rd WOT and it was just okay - definitely leaning towards Vortex again for more power. You have to pop the clutch or get in a low traction situation for it to slide...but again, it’s not supposed to slide; it’s supposed to stick.

also need to start tweaking the bike for me - could not up shift for my life with the MX boots, but it was easy with the dainese RR boots. Raising that up.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-10-19 at 08:37 PM.

Just found this thread and was going to congratulate you on the new bike - hope it gets more interesting for you...
    No real experience with Huskys other than a couple of 510SMR’s I got to put a few hours on years ago. They were absolute animals!

I made a similar switch a while back. I had an unmolested, bone stock yz250 that absolutely ripped. It was a blast every time I rode it. I started riding a local practice track and getting an itch for more moto. It took one whiskey throttle over a berm right into a tree to realize this was not the bike to learn MX on. I got that tree so hard I thought I broke my femur, but it was such a perfect, flat hit of my whole body that I spread the force out evenly and miraculously walked away with a fully bruised side and likely a concussion.

I bought Clinton’s TE250. It was beautiful, perfectly modded, and even a 282 I believe? A little more pep than a normal 250, but nothing like my YZ. Was it as much fun “just riding?” No, not even close. However, it opened up lots of doors. I could all of a sudden hit actual jumps and enter whoops without questioning my life choices. MX was ridiculous fun, it made up for it. I always missed my YZ in the woods and when I was just messing around, but it was a trade off.

Honestly, if you plan to ”just ride” all the same stuff you were riding before it’s never going to be as fun as your old bike. You need to take this opportunity to put yourself into a situation that you were not able to do before.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast