Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

2019 Husqvarna FE350

Lifer

Re: 2019 Husqvarna FE350

I have that wolfman bag as well on my 200. Mine has metal cam buckles. I like the bag so much that I bought a 2nd one for my WR.
    Mine stays pretty clean inside.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

seriously guys, if you want to come and see the desert, come to a rally

Pahrump NV - home of the Chicken Ranch, Sherri's, - NV's brothels lol

bike ran great, blah blah blah...but we didn't hit anything *too* technical.

150 miles before the gas light came on at day 1 (50mpg!)...day 2 was only 60ish miles

super dusty...I need a new air filter and oil change ASAP + 1st valve check

need that Kriega

next stop: LAB2v

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

You're not running prefilters so you can carry a bunch and change them as needed each day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You're not running prefilters so you can carry a bunch and change them as needed each day?
    That is the answer. If you’re not leading your choking, the dust is brutal. But the weather is tits right now!

Going to have to do that...was planning on bringing a 2nd filter for day 2 of LAB2V

[indian]Got my Kriega R15...$130 hydration pack that doesn’t come with a bladder [/indian]

Oof $397 for my first valve check/adjustment, oil change, air filter service, and GPS install

Oh well...if I am this far...

Got my BaoFeng UV-5R on a frequency that my buddy uses. Still need to pack my Kriega (and figure out a bladder), try out the GPS mount, change the screen on the GoPro Session, mount the roll chart, and get an idle air controller swapped on the truck. 2 weeks from now I hope to be checking into the Orleans in Vegas covered in dust

on a bladder, check out USWE. built really well, last forever, can freeze them and zero funk if you forget to empty.

Beta 200RR

They make some quality stuff

Luckily my Camel Bak bladder fits in the Kriega and I like it’s durability, mouthpiece, and short hose length.

Next challenge: low of 15 degrees and high of 28 through Red Rock Canyon near Vegas

Possibly snow through Rocky Gap and original forecast said rain...

So far I threw a ton of money ($700+) at:
    -smartwoolbase layer ($200)
    -Klim Dakar Jacket ($224) over pressure jacket/pads, Troy Lee Radius Pant 2.0 ADV pants ($179)
    -REI rain gear 2 piece ($99) over the Klim jacket
    -thick winter gloves ($20)

Hopefully that’s enough...Will take a night canyon ride on street at 50mpg to simulate the cold

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-29-20 at 09:18 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Next challenge: low of 15 degrees and high of 28 through Red Rock Canyon near Vegas

Possibly snow through Rocky Gap and original forecast said rain...
    Rubber gloves under your regular gloves can help keep your fingers warm. The side effect is they trap all the sweat and if left on for the whole day, it'll cause the skin to peel a bit the day after. But worth it for me. Trashbag is also a super effective windblocker that packs real small if you want a simple back-up option in case the jacket isn't enough at speed.

nedirtriders.com

I tried that before without much luck somehow lol

I have also used the Cyclegear winter gloves (thick - like snowboard gloves) and they did a pretty good job. It takes a little while to get used to fat fingers on the controls but I felt safe, and will switch to lighter gloves by 11am or so

Added a freeze-out cyclegear balaclava and base layer sweat shirt

Still need to do the following:
    -find my light gloves
    -Mount roll chart holder to ram plate
    -Mount ram u-bolt to handlebars
    -add D-ring to truck bed so it’s easier to tie Down 2 bikes with CNG tank at front of the bed
    -get new Dirtbike jersey (wearing same one from 2010ish in MA)
    -replace cracked gopro screen
    -replace dying iPhone 6 battery
    -replace cracked/torn windshield wipers/rain X truck windshield since it will rain the whole drive up

We drive up on Thanksgiving to have dinner with the district 37 AMA crew and volunteer with parking lot duty since, for the first year ever, their host location moved from Palmdale Supercycles to the Embassy Suites Hotel down the street and all 300+ riders and their families are going to be hella confused

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-26-19 at 05:01 PM.

^ bot post deleted, thank you!

productive day!

roll chart holder is on the bars now...checked off pretty much everything on the previous list...garmin tested in the powered mount...the two base layers (smart wool & freeze out) actually fit nice and snug under the armored pressure jacket. Jersey over that. Klim jacket over that. REI XXL rain jacket over that. I don't think I can tolerate any more layers

THE PRECIPITATION FORECAST IS PERFECT! rain in Palmdale Thu, tapering off by night, & clear/damp on Friday #NODUST #TRACTION

I've put two bikes in the back of the F150 before, but they had a little bit of wobble that I wasn't too confident with.

I would really prefer D-rings be able to test out several tie down points until I got the right combination of low and wide, but I needed something quick and dirty for tomorrow.

The CNG tank makes the front stake pocket too far forward (minimal lateral pull)...so adding a tie down point closer to the front axle helped while the bike is tucked all the way to the side.

plenty of room now for the 701 coming along

I'll pull out those and replace with a low profile d-ring eventually

new windshield wipers installed, added rain-X, rotated the tires, got an oil change, and topped off the gas. Truck is ready!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-27-19 at 09:42 PM.

Oh F this

WHY DOES BOSTON WEATHER FOLLOW ME

the Way SoCal is laid out, the desert is at a higher elevation than the beach cities. So 3 days of rain meant snow driving up. It wasn’t Nor-Easter bad, but the open desert has snow on the route. The last part of the ride through red rock is completely snowed in.

2 base layers, armor, jacket, rain shell, and hand warmers...HALP

Omg so EPIC

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

in my opinion, the snow made this a truly unique and epic Day 1 for LAB2V...so I'm going to highlight those areas

be careful of black ice

the initial transition into the trails contained many patches of snow, light mud, and puddles

then eventually into a trail a little wider than a single track, with snow to you left and right

muddy, snowy whoops!

to connect some of the trails, we did end up on some dirt roads (be wary of 2 way traffic)

muddy jumps

heading into some snowy hills

what's LAB2V without a couple rocky hills to climb?

watching the transition from snow trail to open desert was a fun part for me

some of it was just soft, traction filled, wide open fun dirt

freemont ridges were not crowded towards the end of day 1

then the rest was your usual desert trails out near the husky

the bike ran well, minus the speedo/odo cutting out for 30 miles

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-01-19 at 02:05 PM.

Lifer

Now that you've had more time with the bike, I'm really curious if you're still a little 'mehhhh' about the bike?

Never really had the desire to ride the desert, but seeing that dirt stripe down the snow is kinda changing my mind I think I'm warming up to the idea of being able to run wide open from sun up to sun down. Don't really get that kinda opportunity in the woods.

nedirtriders.com

it's a fantastic bike! all newer bikes are...they're not supposed to have explosive power in a narrow power range...if you gas it, there is good power available immediately.

I had it in the mid-rpm range, gassed it up the the hill, and it wanted to wheelie after I already made it up

but yes, I feel like EVERYONE from NESR/east coast that rides dirt should come out and ride the desert. Freaking epic cool ish for miles.

Not going lie, being into it for ~$14,000+ with all the recommended dealer servicing still sits at the back of my mind. When I'm riding it, I forget all about it...but when it's sitting in the storage unit when I'm doing budget stuff, I definitely think about if it's worth it.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-02-19 at 07:06 PM.

Lifer

it's a fantastic bike! all newer bikes are...they're not supposed to have explosive power in a narrow power range...if you gas it, there is good power available immediately.
    I think you might have bought the bike that's going to have the most predictable/smoothest power curve too. I'm not sure I'd agree that this is true of all newer bikes. In the road legal bigger-bore dual sport category? Sure. But an MX-trim bike is going to have more of a hit to it. You could probably do a cam-swap or re-time the cams to get something a little more aggressive.
    Not going lie, being into it for ~$14,000+ with all the recommended dealer servicing still sits at the back of my mind. When I'm riding it, I forget all about it...but when it's sitting in the storage unit when I'm doing budget stuff, I definitely think about if it's worth it.
    The only regret you should have is if it still has the same tires this time next year.

nedirtriders.com

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The only regret you should have is if it still has the same tires this time next MONTH.
    FIFY

How is the suspension? Are you happy with it? Any plan to revalve it?

The riding looks awesome and I'm super jealous.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I think you might have bought the bike that's going to have the most predictable/smoothest power curve too. I'm not sure I'd agree that this is true of all newer bikes. In the road legal bigger-bore dual sport category? Sure. But an MX-trim bike is going to have more of a hit to it. You could probably do a cam-swap or re-time the cams to get something a little more aggressive.
    actually - I agree with this 100% - this is what the YZ was made for - competition MX use...the newer dual sports are not designed for that, but they can be adapted. You don't even need to swap cams...just de-smog it, put on an FMF pipe, and install a Vortex CDI which re-maps the bike. Boom...crazy power boost.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    FIFY
    this is such a different category of bike from the traditional low maintenance Japanese dual sport...you actually don't want to waste it's precious hours on riding so often...especially not on slab. Best to "save" it for the "good" terrain and truck it out there...if you are planning on that, just be prepared to spend the time and $$ on the maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    How is the suspension? Are you happy with it? Any plan to revalve it?

The riding looks awesome and I'm super jealous.
    Actually, the springs are pretty well suited to my weight (most are sprung for 150-160lbs and I'm 138-140), and the clickers have 17ish clicks of adjustment. So we went out to the whoops, I played around 1 or 2 clicks on each direction and was good to go. I could go WOT in 5th on high speed open stuff, nail a drop, it would absorb the bump and I'd be riding straight.

Will you change your signature already?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Hell naw...ain’t putting no title on it

Heard back from the dealer from the 2 tip overs I had - bars ($200+) are bent and brake lever bent - need new for both. Oopsie.

Photos from LAB2V by “Grumpy” (the photographer) are up

OMG I AM DEAD (why we left late at 8:30-9ish instead of 6:30-7am)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-19 at 11:40 PM.

braaapity braap

the pro photos are up

in the mean time, the new (grey) bars are on...$279 for that work (rough total of expenditures over $15k so far)...just waiting for the speedometer (under warranty) to arrive

sooo....I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I talked to the dealer...and...I will update you guys soon

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-09-19 at 08:16 PM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

That wasn't your bike in the pile up with the guy in the black ice video correct?

Cracked me up that the guy that walked over didn't think to get the guy that was stuck under two bikes unstuck.

If your patties are getting cold look into putting some grip heaters on.. I did and it makes winter riding so much more fun.

PS. it looks like you are having way too much fun.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast