Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

2019 Husqvarna FE350

Re: 2019 Husqvarna FE350

that's the plan...I would not necessarily trust the YZ for 150-200 mile rides...in addition to the fact that mixing gas can be a problem thing out there

I was also considering an Everide tour of southwest UT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Is it possible you're so cheap that your body is viscerally rejecting the FE350 like a bad organ transplant?

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I was also considering an Everide tour of southwest UT
    I bet that's a good time. Having been there with the fam in a minivan all I can say is I am anxious to go back with something like a FE350 or 701-Enduro under me. Although unlike riding forest roads here in New England, I would not want to be alone. Some very serious expanse there. I could easily see a simple getoff turning into a no-shit, real emergency.

Doeit. Take video. Tell us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Is it possible you're so cheap that your body is viscerally rejecting the FE350 like a bad organ transplant?
    This, or he is actually a squid in sheeps clothing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I made a similar switch a while back. I had an unmolested, bone stock yz250 that absolutely ripped. It was a blast every time I rode it. I started riding a local practice track and getting an itch for more moto. It took one whiskey throttle over a berm right into a tree to realize this was not the bike to learn MX on. I got that tree so hard I thought I broke my femur, but it was such a perfect, flat hit of my whole body that I spread the force out evenly and miraculously walked away with a fully bruised side and likely a concussion.

I bought Clinton’s TE250. It was beautiful, perfectly modded, and even a 282 I believe? A little more pep than a normal 250, but nothing like my YZ. Was it as much fun “just riding?” No, not even close. However, it opened up lots of doors. I could all of a sudden hit actual jumps and enter whoops without questioning my life choices. MX was ridiculous fun, it made up for it. I always missed my YZ in the woods and when I was just messing around, but it was a trade off.

Honestly, if you plan to ”just ride” all the same stuff you were riding before it’s never going to be as fun as your old bike. You need to take this opportunity to put yourself into a situation that you were not able to do before.
    can you believe that was 6 years ago already ? nuts ... it was a TC250 w/270cc BB kit, perfect bump in power across the range ... that bike had a nice linear curve, tracked so well, great MX bike ... but yeah, ultimately why i sold it, always been a 2T rider (except for an '88 XR250R back in the day) + i wasn't hitting the track much anymore.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I bet that's a good time. Having been there with the fam in a minivan all I can say is I am anxious to go back with something like a FE350 or 701-Enduro under me. Although unlike riding forest roads here in New England, I would not want to be alone. Some very serious expanse there. I could easily see a simple getoff turning into a no-shit, real emergency.

Doeit. Take video. Tell us about it.
    it may just be good marketing and cinematography, but after driving through it as well I got the itch to experience it off-road

you wanna come??

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    can you believe that was 6 years ago already ? nuts ... it was a TC250 w/270cc BB kit, perfect bump in power across the range ... that bike had a nice linear curve, tracked so well, great MX bike ... but yeah, ultimately why i sold it, always been a 2T rider (except for an '88 XR250R back in the day) + i wasn't hitting the track much anymore.
    but that bike was

but yes, reading posts like that make me wonder if some people are just more used to being on a 2 stroke...but that means that saddle time can make one more comfortable on either steed. I'm sticking the plan - more saddle time.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post

low key, it still bugs me...it's less than it was before, and I do look forward to riding it, but the thoughts still linger

mellow, 1 hour off road headlight test this Saturday

Lifer

Modern 350.... boring? Am I the only one who thinks maybe you aren't riding it fast enough?

nedirtriders.com

nope.

light that thing up and get after it.
    2019 Husqvarna FE350-img_7123-jpg

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 10-11-19 at 12:35 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

took it for another short mellow ride yesterday...saddle time is making it feel better. It was much more gentle on sudden, jarring, hardpack fire road terrain than the YZ. The gear box was quite fun on twisty roads. While 1st gear was short, and 6th gear just for long sections, 2nd-5th felt relatively close together, so you could really work that gear box to have fun when you wanted to ride it aggressively.

Still can't seem to find the shift lever with the MX boots. I started training myself to twist the boot inward and really tuck it against the bike when up shifting and had a better time. Downshifting was no problem.

Cyclops: very good headlight bulb!!

unlike the $15 LED light bars, this one had excellent distance/spot...when riding off road, that is pretty important when you're holding some speed...totally worth the $90...not sure I really need an LED headlamp anymore

stock light bulb was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Modern 350.... boring? Am I the only one who thinks maybe you aren't riding it fast enough?
    I have it pinned to redline in 2nd and 3rd off road...it hooks up great, gets going, and easier to ride, but it doesn't scare you and slide on the way. literally a lighter, smoother, better suspended DRZ400E or WR250R. The 500EXC may likely be a better fit for me if I were to buy another modern dual sport...but we will see with more saddle time, Vortex CDI, & FMF exhaust. Sticking to the 6 month plan.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-13-19 at 12:19 PM.

hmm...I'm getting a lot of pressure to camp in a baseball field, and go ride long desert fire roads for two days at the beginning of November

hmm...I'm getting a lot of pressure to camp in a baseball field, and go ride long desert fire roads for two days at the beginning of November
    curious, is that a friend of yours with the Beta in that vid? think you mentioned a guy previously that had a 4T in your group ... have you tried the 390? why Husky over Beta, isn't the B-bike a bit cheaper?

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I have it pinned to redline in 2nd and 3rd off road...it hooks up great, gets going, and easier to ride, but it doesn't scare you and slide on the way. literally a lighter, smoother, better suspended DRZ400E or WR250R. The 500EXC may likely be a better fit for me if I were to buy another modern dual sport...but we will see with more saddle time, Vortex CDI, & FMF exhaust. Sticking to the 6 month plan.
    2nd and 3rd gear? You riding single track? I thought you were in the desert. Try 5th?

I think I get it though. You got used to the YZ's rear end dancing all over the place and found excitement in that. Seek more technical terrain on the Husky. That's where it'll shine.

nedirtriders.com

contrary to what people think...California is not all desert riding

the area I go mid-week, after work is just a fire road with rutted out/rocky/bumpy sections...it's just a "something is better than nothing" situation 30 mins from home.

it zigs and zags its way up the mountain, so you can only top out 3rd for 10-20 seconds before shifting or slowing to turn...

otherwise, 98% of the good "desert" riding is a minimum 2 hour drive from where most of us live.

and since I work every other weekend, I'm lucky to get out there 2-3 times in a month

this weekend will be my first time out there with the FE350 for LA-B2V practice. Time to put this bike in its element, and see what she can do

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-16-19 at 08:03 PM.

contrary to what people think...California is not all desert riding

the area I go mid-week, after work is just a fire road with rutted out/rocky/bumpy sections...it's just a "something is better than nothing" situation 30 mins from home.

it zigs and zags its way up the mountain, so you can only top out 3rd for 10-20 seconds before shifting or slowing to turn...

otherwise, 98% of the good "desert" riding is a minimum 2 hour drive from where most of us live.

and since I work every other weekend, I'm lucky to get out there 2-3 times in a month

this weekend will be my first time out there with the FE350 for LA-B2V practice. Time to put this bike in its element, and see what she can do
    Pin it to win it!

That situaton kinda stink. Don't think I'd dirt ride much in that scenario. So apparently the Northeast ain't all that bad! I have good riding out my back door. (Have to rub your Socal nose in something!)

Paul_E_D

I randomly pulled over and van camped on my way to LA a few weeks ago. Woke up in an ATV park. Ended up being Edison campground, paid my $10 on the way out.

Looked pretty cool, but no dirtbikes? Or was everyone there just lame?

The riding just Southwest of Death Valley looked killer too. Deserty, but still trails. All sorts of wheelers out there.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That situaton kinda stink. Don't think I'd dirt ride much in that scenario. So apparently the Northeast ain't all that bad! I have good riding out my back door. (Have to rub your Socal nose in something!)
    Riding out here is very different for sure, and I get the misery that must come from trying to get out of Orange County or LA to find some decent riding. Here in PHX we can ride basically right out of our back door also - the terrain is widely varied and much of it super challenging. My wife has gotten out of a side-by-side on a number of occasions to walk around or over an obstacle (I don't think she trusts me). Some of the advanced Jeep trails are downright gnarly, and the landscape/views are constantly changing. One of the biggest differences is line of sight - very little vegetation/trees to block your vision. I miss ripping through the woods on an MX bike in Maine, but the riding here is just as fun albeit different. Side by sides are the choice offroader here, and they are street legal as well.

Oh trust me Paul, I get it...I used to ride in my parent’s backyard in MA . I didn’t even like it when I had to start hauling the RM125. Even then, most of those trails through the woods behind the shopping centers are closed off or housing developments now where I grew up.

So Yup...out here, be prepared to drive

If ya wanna ride out of your backyard, you can, but you end up living far away from jobs, or away from civilization (I think Jen and Alex are out in the countryside ish). Or don’t live in California...plenty of cities in the desert Southwest with jobs/big houses and stone’s throw away from riding (and plate anything)

You can live in some areas of suburbia closer to canyon trails, but the dream job I have keeps me away from that area.

I’ve thought this through a million times...rather live close to civilization/job (that I commute to 3-5 days/week) rather than live close to riding (that I do once a week). I like the ocean, culture, food, entertainment, etc.

On the plus side, if you are willing to drive, there is an unlimited amount of riding to do in your lifetime from here. Plus for how inconvenient it is to ride, I still think I ride a lot

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-16-19 at 03:18 PM.

The big question answer: yes, it’s worth every penny. Excellent all day desert bike. YZ is now a 3rd bike for novelty

Dual sport riding through the desert is awesome. Just do it

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

had an insane weekend...but anyways

Saturday was an LA-B2V practice day...estimated 160ish miles

unlike the last ride I lead, the goal was pacing. Pick smoother lines, don't blow fire through the whoops sections, rest while you can, get the bum used to being on the saddle all day...it's not a sprint. For lunch just eat light items that won't slow you down.

from the start, the bike was way easier...it does not need to be ridden on. You can casually cruise with it all day. Suspension with it is fantastic, I accidentally hit bumps at 60mph, the bike would absorb it, and I would keep going. The YZ would be bumped once (with the tail of the bike perpendicular from the rest), bounce a second time (now unable to grab any of the controls), then praying a 3rd time that you could land it.

Balance: the YZ was designed to achieve balance as a racebike should: only WOT...its center of gravity was high and to the front, so while you're WOT the bike won't wheelie. The Husky is more balanced in the middle and low...so if you're standing or sitting on the middle of the bike, it's planted...I would not need to be WOT to get up hills, get through sand sections, whoops, or rocky

rode out to the husky monument where the ashes of the person that started it, were being concreted in

yikes

rode from there to Barstow...perfect weather, and excellent conditions...then rode back past Fort Irwin through some flowy zip zagging trails with some uphill sections

I think a monster lives in there

tossed it into a pile of rocks to make it a real dirt bike

and a classic desert sunset behind the mountains to end the day

both of the mirrors wiggled loose, pulled them both off and going to add a different kind that won't fall off. Kinesiology tape helped on the knees.

need the powered mount for the GPS...need a better backpack (the oem toolkit ripped off)...need a better set of pants...need new Leatt knee guards...and I should be good to go

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-21-19 at 10:24 AM.

I gots a set of Leatt's that got worn once. I'd estimate we're the same size. Let me know if you want them for 2/3 the cost of new.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Irony. I just ordered a set.

Paul_E_D

I am going to check my size @iglu...I am back down to abs/135-138lbs w' all the meal delivery/smoothies

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also FYI, do independent research, not dealer suggestion, on a tool pack

it ripped off on Friday on a mellow fire road ride

tore the strap off where it stitches to the pack

and with the oem toolkit, the motion pro tire irons, lezyne hand pump, and spare tube, it tore at the corner

moved everything to a cheap coleman hydration pack again, and kinda bummed that even with a newer bike with sufficient sub frame support to handle a tail pack, I still have to carry everything in a backpack

but in my limited experience, any tail strapped kit gets launched...except the giant loop mojavi

Klim Nac Pac: too heavy on my shoulders eventually

friends & posts all point to a Kriega R15 - because you forget it's there...headed to CG today for a pack and mirrors

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-24-19 at 03:55 PM.

Birch gets paid by Kriega now...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

moved everything to a cheap coleman hydration pack again, and kinda bummed that even with a newer bike with sufficient sub frame support to handle a tail pack, I still have to carry everything in a backpack
    A little while back I went the same route trying to get stuff off my useless spine. I have a Wolfman Enduro rear fender bag right now that is holding up - in a way. The straps that tighten the bag down to prevent everything from flopping around require extra effort to make sure they don't loosen up. This also makes it annoying to use the bag with any frequency. They redesigned it with cam buckles instead of standard plastic ones so maybe that's no longer an issue. But the extra weight off the rear fender seems to wear out the mount points quicker.

I can deal with that, but I think what's really got me considering removing it is that no matter what, it gets a substantial amount more dirt in side it. Between dirt, getting wet, and stuff flopping all around, means life is a lot harder on the objects inside than in my backpack.

I was also the 'kitchen sink' rider and I've been slowly shedding stuff as time goes on and I realize I haven't needed X, Y, or Z.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Birch gets paid by Kriega now...
    Pretty sure that Husky-branded tail bag above is actually one of Kriega's.

nedirtriders.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast