Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New Bikes for the kids KTM 65 SX and GASGAS MC85 Big wheel

New Bikes for the kids KTM 65 SX and GASGAS MC85 Big wheel

Kids are growing up fast and have outgrown the TC50 and Honda 110

Kind of a pain so far, ran 50:1 in the TC51, the GASGAS wants 30:1 for the first 10 hours, then 40:1, and the KTM wants 60:1.

Also surprised the gasgas doesnt come with an hour meter? Had to spend $50 on one.

Both gorgeous, smooth running bikes. A little worried about the 85 as it is a monster. It does have a dongle you can unplug for a softer ignition curve, so I want to try that.

Daughter needs to learn a clutch on the DS80 before she swings a leg over that 85!!!!!

@typeone as the resident mini expert, and sage advice??!?!?!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Bikes for the kids KTM 65 SX and GASGAS MC85 Big wheel

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Kids are growing up fast and have outgrown the TC50 and Honda 110

Kind of a pain so far, ran 50:1 in the TC51, the GASGAS wants 30:1 for the first 10 hours, then 40:1, and the KTM wants 60:1.

Also surprised the gasgas doesnt come with an hour meter? Had to spend $50 on one.

Both gorgeous, smooth running bikes. A little worried about the 85 as it is a monster. It does have a dongle you can unplug for a softer ignition curve, so I want to try that.

Daughter needs to learn a clutch on the DS80 before she swings a leg over that 85!!!!!

@typeone as the resident mini expert, and sage advice??!?!?!
    sweeet! congrats, kids awesome score! ... i'm not a mini expert but here's some coins:

prob not a popular choice, but i never run break-in ratios in new bikes, although i do like to do a proper break-in procedure if possible. harder with kids for sure, but mostly just to get a few heat cycles in to make sure everything is working correctly. i also switch to Engine Ice coolant in everything after a proper flush.

what oil do you run? i'm assuming they won't be on the pipe/in the upper range a lot with the bigger motors so maybe try Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1 for both (?) see how the jetting/running works out.

i've never had a bike come with an hour meter stock, didn't know that was a thing, i've always had to buy separately.

the 85 will def be a monster. shit, the 65 hauls my ass very quick! you purchased two thoroughbred race machines so there def will be a learning curve if they don't know clutch whatsoever. my oldest knows how to use the clutch but he gets so fixated on it that it was making his skills go backwards, that's why i got the Rekluse for it. total magic. he can continue to learn/perfect clutch use but also just fucking ride and not sweat it. more of a thing in the woods than on track. trying to remember but we also put a flywheel weight on the 65 and tweaked jetting. think Nihilo has a jet kit, i'd have to look back.

good you have the DS80 still around to learn clutch on as i find the clutch pull pretty hard on the 65 for a small bike. don't think i've ever felt the clutch pull on a newer 85.

if we don't go electric, we'll prob add the GG 85 next season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

My son already has over 2 hours on it, he is fine on the 65, he took right to it. Daughter just got braces so she is preoccupied with things other than dirtbiking right now. Hmm, my KTM 500 and his TC50 both had hour meters, as well as his new 65, maybe its a KTM thing.

That would be sweet if we could just run 50:1 93 in everything! Make my life easier. He will be definitely up on the pipe, her not so much. I really wanted to get her on a honda 150r but she was very not into it, so no sense getting a kid a bike they wont like.

I could see maybe a rekluse on her 85, but he will be fine. He has pretty much mastered the clutch. We got sucked into a hard enduro single track ride and he killed it, slipping the clutch up steep hills and shit. Honestly the new Dirtbike video game he has had a whole thing in the tutorial about clutching in to gain power up hill and he learned a lot from it.

Also, we run Motorex oil.

Im hyped to have real sealed chains on both bikes.

I gotta clean the TC50 up good and get ready to sell it next season, they will both have to finish racing this season on their old bikes.

Were keeping the 110 though, that thing is sweet!!!

Last edited by xrocket21; 06-03-24 at 03:52 PM.

that's awesome to hear he's got the clutch down! big step forward once that is muscle memory.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    that's awesome to hear he's got the clutch down! big step forward once that is muscle memory.
    Kid is going to be whooping my ass in the WAY too near future....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Kid is going to be whooping my ass in the WAY too near future....
    hahaa, that's me and snowboarding with my dudes. fuckers rip.

Beta 200RR

hells yeah ! size looks perfect for him

Beta 200RR