Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

May 21 Berkshires dual sport ride

Sounds like a plan ta me Lee. Get some new tires first though

Did some power lines in and around Derry NH today. I'm pooped. Lotta wadda holes ta go through but I managed to survive. Very rocky in spots too. I hadda great time. Lemme know when ya wanna do some dirt on the side.

Wayne-o

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

I must have missed the thread on the ride, Oh well I went street riding with the wife instead, maybe next time..............

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Anyone know this route?

Would a full on dirt bike, that is street legal, be OK?

I have the WR450F and HATE riding it on the street. My seat is basically a seat cover on top of plastic.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Originally posted by Leebo
    Wayne,
    As soon as I get tires. You still plan on riding to Lee this Saturday?

Sean, ??? the ride is May 21st.
    Lee
    Lee...........................I think Sean was takin a jab at me.

Sean, Mark and any one else that would like to attend...........I'm in the planning stages to have a dirt day atPisgah . Cook-out for lunch right at the park. Will organize contibutions etc for food and drinks. I think it would be a fun time. Looking toward early to mid May.

Lemme know what ya think. I'll post up a thread soon.

Wayne-o

Last edited by Wayne-o; 04-18-06 at 06:49 PM.
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Originally posted by 35racer
    Anyone know this route?

Would a full on dirt bike, that is street legal, be OK?

I have the WR450F and HATE riding it on the street. My seat is basically a seat cover on top of plastic.

Yuppers...................I got one of them.

Wayne-o

How much pavement time are we talking? (in miles or minutes)

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I did read the link.

I am street legal.

I don't see anywhere that it says the RATIO of dirt to pavement.

While I am legal for pavement... it SUCKS BIG TIME on my bike, which is a full on dirt bike with a board for a seat.

If the pavement is just minimal (less than 10 or so miles total), then I'd consider going.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Contact the trail boss for specifics:
    LINK to link

If that's too much pavement for you, there's a work party scheduled at Beartown that day as well?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Are there any work parties that don't require shoveling or lifting?

Now if they would get a BobCat out there and let me drive... that would be OK?

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Originally posted by 35racer
    Are there any work parties that don't require shoveling or lifting?

Now if they would get a BobCat out there and let me drive... that would be OK?

Who do you think "they" are? *We* are the people that ride there, and work there. And you're talking to someone who's got mutliple blown discs, and has had surgery for one of them.

Typical "work party" work invovles a half-day of clearing waterbars of debris, draining mud/water holes in the trail, and clearing "face slappers." Not difficult stuff. Sometimes waterbars are installed and mud holes "rocked in." That takes a bit more effort. Almost as much effort as loading a bike into a truck.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

I know "they" is "you".

I always have the best intentions of getting to these... I definitely understand the importance.

<although it didn't seem to help with Savoy?>

I'll publicly put it out there that I will DEFINITELY get to one of these... at least... this year.

After work, I'll supply the percocets... you supply the

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Percs? Deal.

I don't believe Savoy's closing was a matter of trail maintenace. Rather, it seems the poor trail design lent itself to conditions in areas which were exploited by those against motorized recreation. Having MTB'ers gathering video clips off the 'net of qu*ds wallowing back & forth through a particular mud hole didn't help the situation when it was brought to the attention of those that are resposible for managing the area. Weird thing about it closing is the sudden development of lands bordering the forest. There are houses going up all over the place out there now. I guess that's less detrimental than a mud hole?

Anyway, we're planning on doing the dual-sport ride. We're taking a break from the work party, this time around.

What bike you using for the Dual sport ride?

I'd like to bring the WR, but only if it's mostly dirt

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

We're taking the KLR650 & DRZ400S. I'd truck that WR out to there, and not worry about too much pavement.

n00b here

I did this ride last year and there was a bunch of tar and a lot of flat dirt roads, so it's going to be harsh on the WR450. Remember the main route is made for big dual sports (GS, Tiger, 950, V-Strom, KLR).

However the route is supposed to be different this year and they ditched the 4-state gimmick so maybe there will be less road. And there are three levels of optional sections throughout the ride. The most difficult should be perfect for a plated enduro bike.

Anyone riding this event,

New England Classic Charity Trail Ride

Event Date(s): 06/09/2006 - 06/11/2006

Description:

Enjoy two days of riding some of New Hampshire’s most picturesque terrain on one of the top 10 AMA sanctioned dual-sport charity trail rides in the country. Riders of all abilities will be challenged by more than 200 miles of trails that start and finish both days at the New Hampshire International Speedway.

Do you have a Link to that?
    http://www.cff.org/Chapters/newengla...ntentType=1589

I rode one day last year, so I got a flyer in the mail. Not alot of info on the site.

www.mvtr.org has some pics

Response from guy running the show:

"This ride is not for you. It is primarily for big dualsports like the V-Strom, BMW GS1200, KTM950, and any other larger adventure bike or dualsport. Of the 150+ miles, 30% is tar, 50% is dirt road, and 20% trail. On the tar sections, speed varies between 25 and 55 mph. Also, we require the bike to be completely street legal: signal lights, brake lights, horn, head/tail lights, d.o.t. tires, marker plate mounted correctly and not screwed sideways to the rear fended."

... unlike you thread bastardizers... the above info is regarding the ORIGINAL post!.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Lightbulb May 21 Berkshires dual sport ride

Main Route definitely intended for Big Bikes. I am pre-running it on a V-Strom 1000, though I do have TKC-80s on it for mud season. You should be able to make it on Tourances if it stays dry, otherwise you'll be paddling your feet in places as some of those dirt roads do form muddy sections if its been raining. TKCs or Karoos or MT-21s might give a higher comfort level. The various optional sections are rated "Brave", "Heroic" and "Nuts".

Big bikes MIGHT dare the "Brave" sections at their own risk (IF they have a good bash plate just in case). Think 1150GS more than V-Strom. A "Brave" section may have an isolated difficult obstacle and will be a level harder than a dirt road, but will not be unusually "technical". For KLR guys, the "Brave" sections should be fun fun fun, while the "Heroic" sections will be more of a challenge (may have more numerous obstacles and/or prolonged difficult sections).

The "Heroic" sections should be challenging but satisfying for a DRZ. The "Nuts" sections, would be hard work on the DRZ. See you all three?!?

i plan on doing the MA event on the 21st. anyone else going from the Boston area? i can leave on the saturday, the day before. i don't have a trailer out there, but might be into sharing one. or, i might be able to get a pickup and take one more bike than mine. let me know, i need to get out there!!

Do you have a Link to that?
    Lee
    New Link