Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

450L

Re: 450L

Really cool they're doing this, unfortunately if I were to part with $10k for a dirt bike with a plate, it's still going to be a 500 exc-f.

Re: the KTM service interval, they're really looking at it for worst case scenario. Pinned WFO for the majority of the hours under race conditions. Granted if you spend a lot of time on the highway you're going to be doing similar things, but who is honestly going to take their dual sport on a multi-hour slab ride?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Not me. Even with the seat concepts kit, half hour is pretty much all you want to do just sitting there motoring around.
    However, I don’t really know if this is going to fall fully into a 50-50 dual sport, or lean more towards the “plated dirty” end of things.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well there you have it, 25 horsepower debunked.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HondaPro Kevin View Post
    Unreliable? Please don't assume. All of the information I post and have posted for years is directly from Honda. I try to be helpful and give information to those that want every little detail, so nobody is possibly going into a purchase blind when it comes to certain info as a lot of information isn't publicly shared by manufacturers etc. Sorry if the facts aren't what some want to hear.
    Lol.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well there you have it, 25 horsepower debunked.
    Along with reasonable service intervals for a street machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Along with reasonable service intervals for a street machine.
    It is not a street machine. It is a dirt bike, with blinkers, a horn, and a plate.

What is reasonable to you? Also, the intervals are based on your going out and doing 600 miles of continuous slab at 9/10 throttle the entire time. I'd argue if you did that on this bike, not only did you buy the wrong bike, you're also an idiot. Ride this motorcycle as it's intended, I'll wager dollars to donuts you can stretch those intervals out considerably. I thought you of all people would understand that.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I think he was just pointing out the obvious.
    Seems clear this is a KTM 450 EXC-F copy from team red. And that's fine.
    Some get carried away and seem to suggest these things are miracles of modern engineering and defy physics n' shit like that. Nice to see we aren't getting carried away here.

I still think there's room for a 300-350 lbs dual-sport with an under stressed mil that makes more power than the 250's. Something that goes ~15k per valve check (never mind adjustment) and ~5k per oil drain. But yeah, this ain't that.

It used to be that the CRFN50X was the barely street legal dirt bike, the CRFN50L was the street friendly variant. With all the talk of revised for street internals I was expecting longer service intervals for the 'L' badge. It'll be interesting to see how it does on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I still think there's room for a 300-350 lbs dual-sport with an under stressed mil that makes more power than the 250's. Something that goes ~15k per valve check (never mind adjustment) and ~5k per oil drain. But yeah, this ain't that.
    Don't bikes like the KTM 690 Enduro and even older stuff like the DRZ-400 and XR650L fit that description? Of course, the problem with those is that they are still too heavy for tighter trails. Even the WR250R is a bit of a handful. I think what people are realistically looking for is basically a 250-300 pound bike with 40+ hp and decent intervals. The Betas and KTMs are awesome on weight and power, but the maintenance intervals are rough and they aren't good on extended pavement trips. The WR250R is great on maintenance and the highway, but heavy and under powered. Is there a middle ground to be had?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Don't bikes like the KTM 690 Enduro and even older stuff like the DRZ-400 and XR650L fit that description?
    Kinda.

XR650L is supposedly pretty exciting. But geez, with the old tech. Air cooled. Carb'ed. I actually thought they'd discontinued it ~10+ years ago. Just googled it and they haven't. So yea, I guess.
    DRZ400 is the same problem. Needs a refresh. 6-speed trans and fuel injection please.

The Japanese brands have refreshed the 250's, giving them the modern. They need to do that with the 650's too. If they used 450 MX mils as the basis for that, I'd be fine with that too. First read of this model and that's what I thought they did. But they didn't. They pushed their CRF450X into full street legal mode. Which is cool.

I haven't ridden the KTM 690 or Husky 701. But I feel lust. I'm sure these are exactly what I'm talking about. I actually avoid offers to ride these as I'm sure I'd become obsessed. (I do that.)
    I've also recently become aware that BMW was quietly making a G650GS for years and I was completely unaware.

But yeah. Kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    It used to be that the CRFN50X was the barely street legal dirt bike, the CRFN50L was the street friendly variant. With all the talk of revised for street internals I was expecting longer service intervals for the 'L' badge. It'll be interesting to see how it does on the market.
    the x was never street legal out of the box. It was registrable in places other than the likes of ma readily, but it was the "offroad/woods" variant, not a dualsport.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Kinda.

XR650L is supposedly pretty exciting.
    It's not. Or maybe it is if you've never ridden a 450MX bike, or a Husky SMR, etc. The 650 is more of a tractor.

Lifer

Right. It's a spectrum. My point was the XR650 is supposedly further down the "exciting" path than the DR650 or DRZ400. But yeah, that's not saying much.

FWIW : I've got a WR450F in my garage right now. I've ridden the KTM 500 XC-W, 450 EXC-F (carb'ed and newer EFI).. and I swear I've been out for a whirl on a CRF450x, although now that I think hard maybe not. I even had the luxury of trying a YZ450 SM out on track moments after climbing off my DRZ400SM. If there was ever a moment to pound home what you're saying, that was it.

Right. It's a spectrum. My point was the XR650 is supposedly further down the "exciting" path than the DR650 or DRZ400. But yeah, that's not saying much.

FWIW : I've got a WR450F in my garage right now. I've ridden the KTM 500 XC-W, 450 EXC-F (carb'ed and newer EFI).. and I swear I've been out for a whirl on a CRF450x, although now that I think hard maybe not. I even had the luxury of trying a YZ450 SM out on track moments after climbing off my DRZ400SM. If there was ever a moment to pound home what you're saying, that was it.
    Spot on, and smart not to ride stuff you know you will want. I have fallen into that trap many times...

I haven't ridden the KTM 690 or Husky 701. But I feel lust. I'm sure these are exactly what I'm talking about. I actually avoid offers to ride these as I'm sure I'd become obsessed. (I do that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Spot on, and smart not to ride stuff you know you will want. I have fallen into that trap many times...
    That's where I'm at right now. A friend of mine just got a 690 enduro and I've told him I need to take it for a ride. Although I'm concerned about what will happen to my finances if I do.

So yea, I guess.
    DRZ400 is the same problem. Needs a refresh. 6-speed trans and fuel injection please.
    Absolutely! With fuel injection and some lightening up and engine upgrades with modern tech, I think these would be hot sellers. I don't even mind the air cooling, as it's one less thing to worry about and lowers weight. I really like the KTM 690, but as much of a handful the WRR is off-road(for me anyway), I don't think it would fill what I'm looking for. I'd like a modernized DR650 or even a KLR for some 2-up adventures with my wife, but the new KTM and Yamaha light adventure bikes might just be ideal for that, and I really like the idea of the Kawasaki Versys-X for something like that.

Meh, you want an actual motorcycle for 2up riding of any type, let alone semi off-road and two up.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Meh, you want an actual motorcycle for 2up riding of any type, let alone semi off-road and two up.
    We used to ride around 2-up on my KLR 650 and later on the Ninja 250 and never had much in the way of complaints. Having kids with no family anywhere near kind of put a stop to that. We still go on the occasional short trip on the WR250R, though that's pushing it a bit. The more I ride lighter bikes, the less I care for the heavier ones. Some day I'd like to get something big for long highway trips, but I don't see myself taking those any time soon between work and kids.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Owning a 701 SM I can say that a 701 Enduro would be something I probably wouldn't want to hustle around in the woods on. It would more than likely do it but as has been mentioned there is a significant difference in weight between a 701 and something like a 500EXC. Dual sport use I could see but any dedicated woods riding up here in New England I wouldn't think it was the correct tool for the job.

Yesssss....guaranteed to see it a LAB2V this year!!

25hp my butt

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

well, one of my riding buddies got one...it's the one for him

he's been riding for 30 years, the 350exc did not have any "chill" rpm, was too much maintenance, and he finally got what he's been looking for

although what I can see on youtube reviews, the 6th gear does not make it a 90-100mph dual sport...it's more of a dedicated trail/in-town/desert bike that can do short distances of freeway...but plenty of power, and rides well.

one dude in the thread has an AT and 450L -> that's it. that will do it all

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-10-18 at 12:34 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123