Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

500 EXC

Re: 500 EXC

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Snap ring pliers are great for getting the oil filters out, on my 03 and 09 atleast..
    This is what KTM suggests

http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro...Fe1_QgodUWAA3A

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I diagnosed the chain slap while I was checking my chain tension. As I mentioned, the manual indicates that, with the bike on a stand, you should be able to pull the upper run of the chain up to just tough the leading edge of the chain guard. If I did this quickly, I could hear a loud "knock" coming from the hard plastic chain guide.
    I went for a quick spin around the block without a helmet so I could hear better and I quickly zeroed in on the ticking noise I described earlier coming from the chain guard. Without a helmet on, it definitely sounds more like a knock. I'm glad it's not the clutch or engine but now I have to adjust it out.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Get rid of the lower chain guide for an aftermarket as soon as you can afford to do so.
    You look at the oem one wrong and it rubs the sprocket...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Get rid of the lower chain guide for an aftermarket as soon as you can afford to do so.
    You look at the oem one wrong and it rubs the sprocket...
    Any suggestion as to which one? I thought people were upgrading due to impact durability?

Yes, impact durability, or lack thereof, with the ktm one. I think I ended up with a tmd. I can't remember offhand.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

BRP make some nice guides as well, i've got one on the Husky, solid unit.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Just be careful that you do not attempt to "adjust the noise away". These bikes *need* lots of chain slack. There have been reports of counter shafts snapped in half on the 450's due to over tightening of the chain. It can also cause rapid wear of wheel or counter shaft bearings, and cracked motor cases.
    As for aftermarket chain guides, there are TM Designs, BRP, and others. Bullet Proof makes a billet reinforcement piece that prevents the 2 small aluminum mounting tabs from snapping off of the swing arm (which has been reported a couple of times now). You could spend another $1-2k on aftermarket protection parts alone, for these bikes, so choose wisely.

Any updates? I'm at home with a twisted knee...

Lifer

Updates? Well, my 350 still makes a "ticking" sound at low RPM, which is said to be the cam chain tensioner. There are a couple of mechanical ones available, but they do not recommend installing one until you have 20 hours on the motor (I don't).
    The chain slap is supposedly remedied by installing a thin piece of urethane under the long flat part of the chain guide (just behind the counter shaft sprocket, on the top of the swing arm).
    My 350 is really nice. I had the chance to ride it back to back with an '06 400 EXC over the 4th of July weekend. The 400 is mellow and smooth by comparison. My 350 is violent and abrupt. It definitely takes some getting used to. The 400 is also heavier and wider, at least it feels that way...

20hrs is crap, just put in the new tensioner now.

I've gone to 14/48 and that's not enough. Next up is 13/50 when I need a new chain (soon). Also need to figure out new tires for down here in Maryland. And suspension for my fat ass.

I'm at around 930 miles and a few hours shy of 40. Overall I've been thoroughly impressed with the bike. I also did the 14/48 swap and have been mostly happy with it but I will probably experiment with 14/50 or 14/52 when it's time for a new chain. What's impressive is the 500 has way more than enough bottom end power to pull the stock 15/45 gearing in the woods, but I didn't like how much I had to ride the clutch to keep my speed down in technical areas.

I found out that my trials tire expanded enough at speed with the shorter wheelbase from the 14/48 gearing that it ate a hole through the center of the mud guard. My temporary electrical tape patch has held up remarkably well so I haven't replaced it yet and I've since had to adjust the chain for normal stretch and the tire doesn't rub anymore.

Over this past weekend, I noticed that my cooling fan wasn't kicking in even in some tough single track which resulted in it boiling after I fell over and likely bumped the radiator cap. Fortunately I didn't vent too much coolant and was able to get out of the woods without overheating. I'm not sure exactly what part is controlling the fan but I don't expect it to be very difficult to fix once I dig around under the cowling.

Here it is after riding this past Sunday before I had a chance to wash it:

Dirty contacts act the sensor/switch in the bottom of the right hand radiator most likely. Mine gets a good muddying frequently and had that same issue last time out. Once fixed ditch the rubber boot as all it does is hold water in. I also had the splice under the seat for the license plate power wire pull itself out of the plug. Other than that mine has been pretty good so far.

I pulled the wires off the switch this morning before I went to work and shorted them together and the fan powered up which confirms there is a problem with switch. I'll probably get a replacement one that kicks in at a lower temp.

Lifer

Is there any competition in the market for this 500? What else is there in this segment?

Beta

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Beta vs. Husqvarna vs. KTM Dual-Sport 500cc Motorcycles COMPARISON TEST: Beta 500 RS vs. Husqvarna FE 501 S vs. KTM 500 EXC.

So the Beta 500 RS, Husq FE-501 and KTM 500 EXC are the baddest dual-sports in the land?

Oooh, the Beta is carb'ed!

I need a 500.

Although i also *found the buyer of my lc4. I'd buy that back first for a quarter of the price.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I know you're working on me, but I don't speak orange yet.
    LC4 => 690, 640, all those?

The "first gens" were the 620, the 640, and rarest of all, the 400.
    The 690 is also considered a lc4, but it's been modernized a bit. The lc4 is a longer running, milder motor. Think xr vs crf.

I had a 400. It was a sweetheart of a 50-50. I want it back. (Even though the 990 will be a sweetheart of a 50-50 once I get the boingers lengthened, sprung, and valved).

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    So the Beta 500 RS, Husq FE-501 and KTM 500 EXC are the baddest dual-sports in the land?
    You can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, if you want a Beta you have to drive to Southbridge MA or Auburn ME whereas KTM owns New England and you can find excellent dealerships all over. Considering the Husqvarna has the same engine as the KTM, I'm surprised they didn't include the kick starter. I'm sure you can add it back on but I wouldn't want to be deep in the woods without one.

The stalling issue the article mentions with the EFI bikes seems to be a result of the 50 state compliant fuel map it comes with. This has been mentioned as a minor annoyance since this generation of KTM engine was introduced in 2012. The good news is the dealer can load the off road XC-W map which supposedly helps immensely. Mine has only ever had the XC-W map so I can't compare it to the stock one. Since the Husqvarna engine is identical, I would imagine the same could be done to it as well.

The suspension on the bike far outclasses my abilities so I don't have too much to say about it other than it amazes me what it's capable of absorbing without any fanfare. I did have mine resprung since the stock setup is for an Austrian guy almost half my size. I do know that the KTM wants to go fast. At slow speeds, the suspension can be punishing and can wear you out quickly. It comes into its own when you start picking up the pace and becomes much more pleasant to ride.

I would love to have the Beta's dash computer!

Lifer

And if I want a used Beta I have to .. well, I've never seen a used Beta. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Beta!

Seems like the 500's market somewhat overlaps with the LC4 (now 690) market. And the only Asian competition there is the old faithful KLR/DR/XR band of relics. So, by whetting my finger and blurring the fresh ink, one could say that the KLR/DR/XR are the Asian competition for the 500 EXC. Which sounds extra funny now that I've typed it out. I guess my DRZ400 gets to get thrown in there and then massively stomped upon. Poor thing.

Bummer.

Google auto-complete suggests people cross shop the 500 against the WR250R. WTF?!?
    Although that is maybe just an ADVRider thing.

I'm not so sure "dual sport" is the correct term for the modern 500s listed above. They are off-road racing machines with just enough extra bits added on to make them street legal.

The 690 does overlap with the 500s but is much more of a dual sport in my book. It will tear up the roughest class VI roads without batting an eye and it will be far more pleasant on the street. Single track and general woods riding won't stop it either but this is where the 500s have a big advantage due to less weight and more ground clearance. The 690 can also carry a passenger.

The 500s are off-road machines with street manners being an afterthought.

The 690 was designed with street manners at the expense of its off-road capabilities. That said, it's in a different league than the Asian dual sports for off-road use.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    And if I want a used Beta I have to .. well, I've never seen a used Beta. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Beta!

Seems like the 500's market somewhat overlaps with the LC4 (now 690) market. And the only Asian competition there is the old faithful KLR/DR/XR band of relics. So, by whetting my finger and blurring the fresh ink, one could say that the KLR/DR/XR are the Asian competition for the 500 EXC. Which sounds extra funny now that I've typed it out. I guess my DRZ400 gets to get thrown in there and then massively stomped upon. Poor thing.

Bummer.

Google auto-complete suggests people cross shop the 500 against the WR250R. WTF?!?
    Although that is maybe just an ADVRider thing.
    It's definitely an Advrider thing. But you're crazy if you think they cross to the drz end of the dual sport spectrum. These are plated race bikes. Not even the crf450x crosses. There's no down tuning or milder cams in these (aside from the emissions junk), it's a full on weapon with a light kit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

So Colin,

Other than the fact the 500s are completely awesome, why the sudden interest in them and how long until you own one?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    ..sudden interest..
    You don't read any of my posts, do you?

I'm going to say publicly that this is pure curiosity on my part. I got talking dual-sports with a friend recently. I waxed poetic about my beloved DRZ. They commented "moar". I confess, somedays I see it. Our conclusion was that if you wanted a truely bad-ass dual sport you really had no choice but to go visit an orange crack dealer. I'm here wasting time until a race weekend checking that math.

Seems like the best runner up is maybe a WR450 with a light kit. That flies where I live, but in MA and CA and places like that notsomuch. Seems odd that the Japanese have spent DECADES without updating the DR/XR/KLR set. Bah.

I confess, I stared longingly at the 640 "booob" had. I've had off-and-on lust for the 500, the 690 ADV.. and just about everything else on this planet with 2 wheels. Were my garage big enough, all would be welcome. Make no mistake.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12