Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

74' MT250 Restore:

74' MT250 Restore:

Bought this about 18 months ago... but didn't really have the drive to get it done.

About 2-3 months ago I started tearing into the project. It was initially going to be a "get it running and beat the crap out of it" bike... but, after thinking about it... how often do I have the chance to take a blank slate and make it my own?

As I got it:

Purple...
    Hooker exhaust (SUPER rare... have not found one anywhere)
    Flat tires...
    Broken case under shift shaft...
    Bend shift shaft...
    Crack in frame...

The plan:
    Fit modern plastics...
    Rebuild/Repaint everything...
    Recover seat...
    Fix frame...
    New cables...
    New grips...
    New tires/tubes...

---------------

So, I started with the motor... completed a full tear down, new seals, new bearings, threw in the new shifter shaft, and new cases that (luckily) came with the bike...

All the internals were in really good shape... no cutting on the flywheel, no goosed gears, all the gears and forks in the transmission were good as new.

While inside, I also removed the gearing and pump for the oil injection. The last thing I need to do is completely remove the "hot start" or decompression valve... kinda pointless.

Slapped it all back together did a quick compression test (146psi) and then took off the aluminum/chrome pieces to paint it...

4 coats of high-heat gloss black she's a shiny black pearl...

--------

Next up was the front shocks...

Stock, they were leaky and grossly beat up... For a trail bike, I needed a LOT more protection than simple wiper boots, so I opted for some (slightly over-sized) gators.

Tore them down... re-filled with 10w oil and added a couple shims. I actually found a way to extend the length of the shock by spacing up the bottom of the mounting brace... however, this is something I'll wait on until I determine if I need it or not.

After some gold on the triple trees and some red on the lower legs... here's what I got... Also, that's a wr250 front fender for a 08' yamaha.

---------------

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Re: 74' MT250 Restore:

lookin' good! love build threads.. .

Beta 200RR

This bike didn't come with the stock side cover, so I found a hacked up one on e-bay for next to nothing...

After some bondo-hair and a little body work... she came out really nice!

I also got new tires, and rear shocks... but nothing to really take pics of just yet.

-------------

This was the point where I had stopped working on the bike for about a month due to the weather... that and I needed a welder to continue on my quest of restoration...

So, with that, I borrowed a little 110v welder from my uncle... it's flux-core wire MIG... which I'm not used to... and it took a while to get the splatter out of it... more heat, slower speed and make sure it's MORE than clean... basically, do a weld.. wire brush, do a weld, wire brush... it sucked.

So, I started by removing the rear loop off of the frame. This is what all the lighting and fender used to mount to.

I then mocked up the replacement fender... 2004 RM250 rear fender... and was able to weld a washer to the seat support and a couple of nuts to the old loop mounts... nice and tidy and looks pretty good!

New vs. Old...

And here's the new rear profile....

I also mocked up the seat w/new cover (not installed) and NOS RedWing shocks!!! MUCH better than those big, mexican made orange things that were on there in the beginning...

I think it looks pretty sick... the seat matches PERFECTLY with the stock notch in the Suzuki fender, should be a great look when everything's all painted and mounted.

Next up is to weld up my seat pan...

I forgot this bike still has a VIN tag on it and is technically a dual-purpose bike... If it's all good when I'm done... I may have to get some lights and a plate. Lol.

---------

Lifer

It is with some cringing that I view this thread. I owned a pristine MT-250 back in 1977, and I proceeded to attempt to climb a sand pit wall that had a 3' hangnail of a turf overhang at the top. I stuffed the front wheel into that overhang at high speed, and flipped completely upside down, landing on my head on the top of the hill, with the bike still between my legs. A severely separated clavicle landed me in the hospital for a week as my entire right/upper torso filled with blood. Riding home with that injury was not fun (left hand on the throttle, right arm draped across my lap). I was 16. Today, my shoulder is still not right, and I have limited weight bearing capability on that side.
    I loved the MT, though, but I could never get it to perform like a CR. Too bad my memories of that bike will always be clouded by the injury that still haunts me today.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    It is with some cringing that I view this thread. I owned a pristine MT-250 back in 1977, and I proceeded to attempt to climb a sand pit wall that had a 3' hangnail of a turf overhang at the top. I stuffed the front wheel into that overhang at high speed, and flipped completely upside down, landing on my head on the top of the hill, with the bike still between my legs. A severely separated clavicle landed me in the hospital for a week as my entire right/upper torso filled with blood. Riding home with that injury was not fun (left hand on the throttle, right arm draped across my lap). I was 16. Today, my shoulder is still not right, and I have limited weight bearing capability on that side.
    I loved the MT, though, but I could never get it to perform like a CR. Too bad my memories of that bike will always be clouded by the injury that still haunts me today.

That's pretty rough! I had a fall off about 2 years ago with my old GS500 that left my rotator cuff in my left-shoulder messed up to this day... I can only imagine how painful that is on dirt doing what you did to your clav... yikes!

I'm not shooting for a crazy enduro bike... I want a torquey, comfortable trail bike... and that's what I'm building... nothing super nasty.

Subscribed.

Just finished welding up the seat pan. Had a few HUGE cracks in it... it was almost completely cracked in half...

They're not pretty... the welder was set to the lowest settings and I cleaned the crap out of the area... but I was burning through like crazy... Just ended up making a splatter-mess of it... but it'll hold. You'll never see it anyway.

that looks sick, and great job with the rear fender!

I will also be watching this thread...keep it coming!

Lifer

IIRC - That pipe does not look stock - It looks like it might be a Bill Wirges pipe. Nice!

I believe the pipe is either a "Hooker" or "AHRMA" I don't know of either brand off the top of my head. Can't find anything online about them either. My guess is it was an aftermarket from 20-30 years ago that survived.

Lucky me!

Updates soon!

Lifer

Hooker Headers were very popular in the '70's. AHRMA is the American Historical Racing Motorcycle Association, I believe.

Just got some other sticky issues out of the way....

Front wheel... laced up with Brandy-New spokes, repainted the drum black and the hub-ring gold... cleaned up the rim and BAM... looks like new!!!

OLD:

NEW:

Then, I spent some time on that purple gas-tank.

I kinda like the urban cammo look... should've left it... lol.

After one light coat of primer it's clear I have a LOT of sanding to do.

And now it's got a nice shiny-red top... I'll buff it down with some 2000 grit to remove some of the very fine scratches still left over and then tape off the racing stripe... Then... Black. Lots of black.

I also got the seat pan fixed up and re-covered with the new cover. I don't have a pic of it, but the foam was pretty harsh... I ended up cutting a good chunk of it out and replacing it with some fresh stuff from the hardware store... Came out slick.

Pan:

Seat:

Just so you know what passed you... .

Lifer

Very nice! Black? On the tank? Lots of Black? Don't you mean Silver?

Lifer

I love the Red Wing "Hammerhead" shocks. Definately not OEM. Much better, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Hooker Headers were very popular in the '70's. AHRMA is the American Historical Racing Motorcycle Association, I believe.
    I was told it was a Hooker when I bought the bike.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

IIRC, the engine cases were a very dark, muddy-brownish color - stock. I recall thinking how strange the color was.
    Every time I see an old MT (a 125 or a 250), I just have to stop what I am doing and go gawk at it.
    I spent a lot of time on MR-175's as well, and I rode my first NETRA event on a first year Green one (1975?). I am drawn to those as well, but I seem to find more intact MT's than MR's for some reason.

I'm not "RESTORING" this bike... wrong choice of words...

IT IS GOING TO BE A CUSTOM/UPDATED version of the MT250...

Modern fenders, modern paint scheme, black, red, gold....

NOT A BONE-STOCK RESTORE...

Stock colors of the bike were brown-metalic motor, black frame, aluminum hubs, silver tank and plastics with orange stripe in tank.

See... much better than stock... lol.

Just need another few sanding sessions with 1000 grit and then clear coat.

Wow....this is looking excellent.

Subscribed.

THE FRAME!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Slight mock-up.

SO glad I changed to the brighter red... looks more vintage 80's Elsinore.

I am aware I have the front wheel at the back.. just for looks for color.

I think it's looking great... little more paint to throw on the frame, then... who knows? Assembly?

Still have to:

Cut holes in side cover to mount
    Paint side cover
    Paint air box
    Clear-coat tank
    Disassemble rear wheel for paint
    Clean carburetor

Then... it's all nuts and bolts.

Wow. That's going to be beautiful!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Bike Junky

That is pretty slick man

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

in

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

awesome.

Wow! Nicely done.

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast