Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any thoughts on this ?

Any thoughts on this ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: Any thoughts on this ?

Meh. I've done it before, but using a regular razor knife. Works decent. I don't buy their claim about extending the life of the tire by 3-5 times. The knobs get thinner every time, so they tend to flex and tear easier. You can usually do it once, maybe twice before knobs start to disappear. And as for saving time, do you realize how many knobs are on a MX tire?

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Meh. I've done it before, but using a regular razor knife. Works decent. I don't buy their claim about extending the life of the tire by 3-5 times. The knobs get thinner every time, so they tend to flex and tear easier. You can usually do it once, maybe twice before knobs start to disappear. And as for saving time, do you realize how many knobs are on a MX tire?

Yeh . I am skeptical, as not only would you be losing width of tread but as they wear , you also lose the length , or height of the tread. I was wondering if anyone had sucess with such a tool ?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

It may have it's advantages for the type of riding (dualsport) we do sometimes? But still think you'd only need/be able to sharpen the knobs once, maybe twice per tire. I'd almost rather spend the time taking the wheel off and flipping the tire around on the rim, probably faster and you wouldn't have to spend the coin on the tool

Yamaha

well being that it is a hot knife I bet it would do a good job on butter too.

I guess it would come in handy to get in those last couple of rides before you change the tire.
    But for me I leave a small amount of usable tread on the tires, hang them up at the end of the driveway and there is some local kid that takes them , he must mount them up backwards.
    I have not had to pay disposo fee for dirt tires yet.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650