Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

armor

armor

So I am considering one of these:
    http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=31019017F.jpg

Anyone have/try/use one before? reviews?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Re: armor

Haven't tried it, but I find all those pressure suit type things terribly flimsy. Tony bought one and felt the same way. A good chest protector and a neck brace are what I'd recommend. Good boots and knee guards as well. I put my vanson hip pads in my MX pants because they are much more substantial than the crap that come with most pants. MX gear is cheaply made for the most part. Try before you buy.

I don't wear elbow pads because they cause armpump (unless they are so loose they just flop around). For me it's safer to have control of my hands than pads on my elbows.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

I don't wear elbow pads because they cause armpump (unless they are so loose they just flop around). For me it's safer to have control of my hands than pads on my elbows.
    hhmmm good point. i was actually considering this over a standard chest protector simply because of the elbow pads. always good to get a second perspective.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I never really found a great benefit to a chest protector, blocks flying debris thrown buy other bikes, keeps the occasional branch or stick out of the ribs, but over all i do not think there worth the discomfort of wearing them. Good gear is priceless but just never liked chest protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    I never really found a great benefit to a chest protector, blocks flying debris thrown buy other bikes, keeps the occasional branch or stick out of the ribs, but over all i do not think there worth the discomfort of wearing them. Good gear is priceless but just never liked chest protectors.
    I can say with confidence that having the chest protection has save me from injury .

I used to have elbow pads and a chest protector now I have the EVS shirt type
    http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...7E3F6F743BBE8B

both set ups have saved me from injury when coming in contact with branches, or when I fall down on the rocks and go for a 5mph tumble.
    I would say that if you do mostly groomed track type stuff, and want roost protection only thats one thing but if you are going to ride single track in new england and plan to come in contact with rocks, roots, trees etc these body armor type shirts will serve you well to prevent impact type bruising when you land on a stick, rock, root etc.
    but eveyone has their own style and their own thoughts on what level of protection they want to ride with .

But definately go for the good boots and good knee gaurds , ones that offer side protection.

I would rather be a bit uncomfortable on the bike on the weekend than be uncomfortable all week at work with bruises that may have been avoided.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

I bought one of these last year...
    http://mx1west.com/index.asp?PageAct...ROD&ProdID=118

and love it. Fits me well, doesn't flop around, doesn't restrict my movement, and has some good armor.

so you definitely haven't had a 450 throw a rock at you I assume! aha, it sucks

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Sounds to me you have the wrong size. The only time I notice my chest protector is when Im putting it on and taking it off. When Im on the bike I dont even know its there.

Ive also tried the one piece suit things. They dont work for me. I could never get it to fit right and the one hard crash I had with one it let me down. I had a black arm for a week.

James

I have an EVS suit like TOSean and a EVS neck brace. I also have a conventional chest protector.
    I like the suit much better. The waist belt holds everything in place nicely, same with elbow and forearm pads.
    Enjoy,
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,
    You will get farther before it is over!

Except when you consider getting hit while you are down. My friend went over the bars at Southwick and his bike hit him in the back. Shattered his spine. Now he's in a wheelchair.

I've also landed on rocky hills before where I was glad to be wearing one. To each their own. I prefer to be safe with a ridgid plastic front and back.

Last edited by rbrais; 04-01-09 at 10:06 AM.

Thats why I like the suit so much. The back protection in substantial and goes down to my tailbone and then the belt keeps it in place.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,
    You will get farther before it is over!

thanks for the write-ups, I will have to try some of these out.

bump

if the shoe fits, is this a good deal on gear?

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1316075678.html

FOX MX GEAR - $100 (charlton)

Fox Riding Shirt and Kidney belt, Thor chest protector and shin/knee guards, and a Large Fox Racing Bag to put it all in... Looking for about $100 for the set... make an offer if you just want a peice...
    add some boots (there are some in classifieds for $50 right now) and I should be good to go for a whopping $150...yay?

04 Honda CBR 1000RR* current *
    95 3000GT VR4 * toy *
    96 Chevy Cavalier * Beater *

TSgt USAF

I have some size 10 sixsixone boots I'll sell for 75 bucks. they are not very used at all

LRRS #399
    MX #505