Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Atlas Carbon neck brace

Atlas Carbon neck brace

I FINALLY pulled the trigger on a new neck brace. The Atlas has some unique design features that convince me it's the best choice for me. Simple over the head to put on, collar is split in the back to allow flex and reduce collateral damage, simple quick release lever in front for removal.

I was right at the top end of the size small range. I got the small on a close out of 65 percent off retail. Open box return from Amazon. Fit is amazing. So comfy. Very low profile and unobtrusive. It will disappear while riding I'm sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atlas Carbon neck brace-20170321_111250-jpg   Atlas Carbon neck brace-20170321_113043-jpg   Atlas Carbon neck brace-20170321_113121-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: Atlas Carbon neck brace

I mustache you if you've compared to other braces?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I have an EVS currently that is going to Kerry. I have tried on and fondled the Leatts, but haven't ridden with one.

The Atlas falls right in between. Much more rigid that the EVS, but much more flexible than the Leatt. Leatt has become know for causing collarbone and other injuries. This system designs in flex to allow more natural movement and less transfer of energy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I have an EVS currently that is going to Kerry. I have tried on and fondled the Leatts, but haven't ridden with one.

The Atlas falls right in between. Much more rigid that the EVS, but much more flexible than the Leatt. Leatt has become know for causing collarbone and other injuries. This system designs in flex to allow more natural movement and less transfer of energy.
    Interesting about the Leatts causing collarbone injuries. I had not heard that before, and had to google it. None of the reviews say that to be true, however, since reviewers haven't crashed with it. I did find one dude who posted a comment on the review page.

"I’ve been wearing an STX-RR this year as well and am quite pleased with it. I did have one get off at the track, and did walk away with a broken collar bone.

Looking at the worst case scenario, the brace broke my collar bone: The force that was transferred into my shoulder blew it apart. I should post the x-rays, it wasn’t your normal snap in the middle, the end away from the brace split down the middle like someone was trying to split firewood. The amount of force estimated is supported by the heavy instant bruising and GIANT lump I had after the crash. The impact marks on my helmet show it was an angled hit that tried to rotate my helmet and head to my left. There are no signs of the brace itself touching down on the pavement other than abrading the strap on one side while I was sliding on my back at one point. Putting those pieces of data together says sans brace my head would have been forced around well past my comfort zone. I normally can get a stiff neck just by moving wrong, etc, let alone what tumbles do to me. I didn’t have any neck discomfort after the crash, either immediately or down the line. I can’t imagine the state of my neck had the brace not limited the range of motion of my head in that incident. That to me, even assuming it broke my collar bone sells me on the brace.

Now, if it didn’t cause the break, I still walked away with zero neck trauma, the stated goal, so absent any evidence to the contrary again the brace is doing it’s job. I’ll be getting one for my dirty adventures as well ASAP."

Upon closer inspection, this dude goes by the name of Joshua Coombs. Anyone know him?

I found another interesting reply in the same thread:

"I haven’t purchased a brace for the road course yet, but I have MANY crashes in my MX brace. I’m quite sure that my head goes through much less range of motion in a violent tumble with the brace on. I can’t say that I know it prevented injury, but less movement (flexion/extension) = less risk of injury."

So it seems to be a debate between head injury versus collarbone injury. Having flex in the neck brace may make it less effective at preventing head injuries?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 03-21-17 at 11:28 AM.

Lifer

Do you wear some sort of roost deflector / protective vest? I'm curious how it would work. Been going back and forth with myself about buying this one for a little while.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Interesting about the Leatts causing collarbone injuries. I had not heard that before, and had to google it. None of the reviews say that to be true, however, since reviewers haven't crashed with it. I did find one dude who posted a comment on the review page.
    One of the conceptual issues with anything like this is that the force has to go somewhere. Absorbing pads, distribution of force to 'safer' or wider areas, and engineered flex or break-away, can attempt to mitigate it. But the force that was going to tweak your neck is still being applied to your body. The problem with a lot of the collar bone debate might lead some to believe it's prone to breaking your collar bone. It's more like if you had a crash that might have been hard enough to hurt your neck, you may have traded a collar bone instead.

IMO, there's a lot of broscience in this area. Hopefully I'm not perpetuating it.

nedirtriders.com

nice score!

i'm on my second Leatt, def help prevent over-extension even in basic crashes. had a nice test last season

Beta 200RR

I think all the braces reduce range of motion to the head and neck. My EVS has surely made a difference in some really big crashes. I carry a neck injury (herniated disks) and it hurts a lot less to ride with the brace, even without crashing.

I don't doubt that the Leatt does the same, but even just in my hands I can feel that it is rigid. Pretty much zero flex. Logic would dictate that this might stop your head very abruptly, and transfer max energy elsewhere. In leatt's case, that is the collar bones, and the Cspine. Every crash is different, so it's impossible to really prove anything.

I'm a thinking person though, and my thoughts are that some designed in flex is a great thing. It seems to be born out by my experience with the very flexible, cushion based EVS product. It did the job advertised with little to no transfer of energy to other areas.

Why change then? Kerry needs a brace, and I think that for me, a fall from way up in the air could require a somewhat stiffer brace to stop my head. I just want a little chance of keeping my collarbones pristine.

Paul_E_D

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

yup the leatt can and has caused a broken collarbone. I rode with a Pediatric neurosurgeon and he rides with the leatt. wont ride without it. Stated he took a tumble ( not sure of the severity of it) caused a broken collar bone. Talking with him over beers.... he convinced me to get a leatt.

hmmmm......

How do these fit under leathers???

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They fit over the leathers. Pauly D posted this is the dirty bastards section, so im not sure if his specific brace is intended to be used street/track as well.

There was a pretty big discussion about the Leatts street/track versions on BORN about 2 years ago. I bought one on clearance, but was having a difficult time fitting it to my suit Leatt STX Road Neck Brace - $240 - Band Of Riders

Correct, I wasn't thinking of using this brace at the track. Roadrace braces are super low profile and designed to fit better with leathers. Compatibility with other gear is a big issue. I just tried this with my Leatt body armor and had to make some tweaks, but got it to work. It will not work with my leathers as I have a speed hump and the back supports would foul on it.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 03-22-17 at 06:03 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

I have an atlas brace for dirty use as well. I have a Leatt STX for track and race. In my view they are different bits for different genres of riding. Just like I wouldn't wear my leather gauntlets in the woods nor my dirty gloves on the track.

I've worn the Atlas very, very little. My biggest problem with it is that I cannot make it work with my hydration pack. Although recent injuries and life events have me thinking of giving the brace a harder try this year. I should be able to get this gear to work together, as Paul says, with some adjustments.

The Atlas was a nice price/performance ratio for me. Far less expensive thatn the Leatt dirty braces and well regarded.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My biggest problem with it is that I cannot make it work with my hydration pack.
    What interferes? Back straps have to run too wide to get around it over the shoulders?

nedirtriders.com

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

thread was useless until i noticed the mustache. for the WIN!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I contacted atlas and asked if their braces are for street as well,. They claim

"Yes our braces work for all MC racing."

But didn't specify specific models for street so they are possibly giving me a blanket answer??
    I originally thought you were referring to street..
    Now I'm interested in getting one

Last edited by caloots; 03-22-17 at 07:44 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    I contacted atlas and asked if their braces are for street as well,. They claim

"Yes our braces work for all MC racing."

But didn't specify specific models for street so they are possibly giving me a blanket answer??
    I originally thought you were referring to street..
    Now I'm interested in getting one

They really only have one model of brace (Atlas Air), which also comes in a Carbon version. The others are childrens/womens variants.

Revzilla shows it under their Street braces, along side the Leatt STX, but they only show the AlpineStars under the Off-Road listings. Funny enough, the Alpinestar brace's page says '
    Please Note: All MOTO ', which I'm not sure how to interpret.

nedirtriders.com

Fitting it on over your leathers is the only obstacle. You'd have to try it out. Otherwise, I tried my RR helmet and there's good mobility and protection. But that's not with my leathers on.

Paul_E_D

After a few good days slammin whoops with the Atlas brace, I can review it a bit more. It's light and comfy and essentially disappears when riding, except when my helmet occasionally bumps it. It mostly stays put with the chest strap in place, but it can definitely move a little more than my EVS, which was attached to my chest protector. I'm also definitely aware that it is much more rigid than my EVS and I feel like in a big crash I could actually whack my chin on the brace pretty friggin hard. That said, I'm confident that it would not allow hyperextension/flexion of my neck at all.

I had no problem wearing a camelbak with the brace whatsoever. It has very easily just become part of my kit. I think in the end, that is what's important. If you don't wear it, it is useless.

So is it better than what I had with the EVS hybrid system? Not convinced it's better in all situations, but I'm happy enough to wear it every ride.

Gear up people. Even in the woods a small crash can have big consequences.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 04-16-17 at 06:00 AM.
    Paul_E_D

More creepstache pics.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    More creepstache pics.
    Those are reserved for my special friends...

Paul_E_D

can you fab a little elastic type situation to fasten it to your chest protector like Leatt does? works really well... but i guess the tabs on the brace are pretty specific.

looking at your creepstache pics again, even when tucked under your CP it still moves differently? that's how i used to wear my first Leatt with a modified Fox.

Beta 200RR

Well, I swapped over to a Leatt 3d body armor shirt. so no attachment. it doesn't move much when I'm riding, but the fact that it CAN move a bit in a crash is a wildcard for me.

Paul_E_D