Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

basic bike spring prep for the XR250r

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

basic bike spring prep for the XR250r

Starting to prep the XR250r for this years riding... I rode it 7x last year after buying it and did no work on her at all( other than some brake pads) So I'd like to get a leg up on it if possible. No mice in the airbox so its been a good winter in the shed!

The list below is set up in importance as time to work on it is scarce with a 15 month old in the house that I love to spend time with, most work gets done 8pm-930pm weekdays if that. after house work

Any insight on what I forgot or could do to make things better would be appreciated, and forgive the rookie questions

My list

Replace chain and sprockets ( already have them bolted on and o- ring chain is ready, The bolts on the rear sprocket were "loose" as the sprocket had some play horizontally on the screws but the nuts were on tight. Odd.
    Replace half broken clutch lever and slight frayed clutch cable
    Lube cables
    Change oil
    Change filter ( currently a K +N on there may swap a regular oil filter as I have one hanging around)
    Change spark plug ( no idea how old it is)
    New gas
    Clean carb ( not my priority unless its a pain to turn over which it has not been)

Grease swing arm and front and rear axle ( what greae to use? have some generic white lithium grease)

as for the swing arm other than some bolts anything real voodoo to this job?

Dial in suspension as best I can. Never set it but might as well know where it sits in case I want to tinker

Already gave her a good wash down to get an grime etc

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: basic bike spring prep for the XR250r

figure out why that sprocket has free play, clutch lever, cable, and run it

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Yes, make sure that rear wheel assembly is tight, then grip it an rip it. An xr 250 should need almost no love. I think you could ride one through the apocalypse without needing maintenance

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yes, make sure that rear wheel assembly is tight, then grip it an rip it. An xr 250 should need almost no love. I think you could ride one through the apocalypse without needing maintenance
    Right. Is the rear axle nut on tight when the sprocket moves? If so you've got something else going on that needs to be fixed.

I think a valve clearance check is a good idea. Easy to access on those, no shims needed.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

valve check on the list now.....
    yeah that rear sprocket was taken on andnew one bolted on snug and tight no longer any play in the sprocket to hub. that was wierd though.

I'm just being overtly high on maintenance as I have no idea of the history of the bike really. figure If i spend a few hours on it I'll feel more comfortable about it. Also figured i might as well lube the steering stem bearings as well. Everything seems fine but a clean and regrease is always good right?

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    valve check on the list now.....
    yeah that rear sprocket was taken on andnew one bolted on snug and tight no longer any play in the sprocket to hub. that was wierd though.

I'm just being overtly high on maintenance as I have no idea of the history of the bike really. figure If i spend a few hours on it I'll feel more comfortable about it. Also figured i might as well lube the steering stem bearings as well. Everything seems fine but a clean and regrease is always good right?
    Absolutely. And it never hurts to get to know your machine better by doing maintenance/repairs. Clean oil, air filter and proper valve clearance should keep that thing going forever.

Well took off the swingarm, shock , linkage and collar
    cleaned everything per the manual except for one thing
    the dust seals. They wont come off i've tried prying off with small flat head but they wont budge out of the linkage nor the shock collar

any idea? just leave them and regrease( my first guess)

My curiosity though is wondering why they wont come out ( per the service manual they should just come out and per any and all googling / youtube they should

hmmmm......

Well took off the swingarm, shock , linkage and collar
    cleaned everything per the manual except for one thing
    the dust seals. They wont come off i've tried prying off with small flat head but they wont budge out of the linkage nor the shock collar

any idea? just leave them and regrease( my first guess)

My curiosity though is wondering why they wont come out ( per the service manual they should just come out and per any and all googling / youtube they should
    Corrosion? They should come right off. Needle bearings? I usually take all the 'needles' out and clean everything spotless, then regrease and assemble. I don't think adding new grease to the dirty stuff and grit really helps unless maybe they are dried out?

basic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpgbasic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpgbasic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpg

Doesn't look corroded. Grease is in there. Rubber is soft and supple. Not sure if there is a trick

hmmmm......

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

In my experience the dust seals that I have removed after being in the bike for a while haven't come out too easily. That being said when I did get them out they were damaged due to the force needed to remove them. Unless you have new replacements handy I wouldn't try too hard to get them out. If you have new replacements, a bigger flat head screw driver and prying, using something on the opposite side to protect the surface prying against and provide more leverage, has always worked for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

the seal most likely has a metal edge that's pressed in. if it's been there a while, not so easy to just pick out.

i would do as gixxer says and just remove the needles, blast everything clean, reinstall needles with fresh grease. if the needles are caged, little harder to clean everything up well but from your pics, everything looks pretty clean for a dirt bike.

i just went through this maintenance as well... found some needles missing so i removed one bearing and seal and replaced with new.

Beta 200RR

basic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpgbasic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpgbasic bike spring prep for the XR250r-image-jpg

Doesn't look corroded. Grease is in there. Rubber is soft and supple. Not sure if there is a trick
    The seals don't look trashed, leave them alone if you're not putting new bearings in. You can pop those needles out carefully with that awl, once you get the first one it's cake. Then soak them all while you clean all the old gunk out of the race (q tips work good for getting it really clean. Smear some grease in the clean race and set the clean needles back in, done.

bearings and seals look pretty good. Spray some cleaner, blow it out with air, lube, and reassemble

Paul_E_D

ditto , ditto . surprisingly clean as is

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    bearings and seals look pretty good. Spray some cleaner, blow it out with air, lube, and reassemble
    I agree with this 100%, especially since it's April (time to ride!!!!)

I usually go through the bearing repacking process in January when it's too cold to do anything else. Beer is also a critical item for the task.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I agree with this 100%, especially since it's April (time to ride!!!!)

I usually go through the bearing repacking process in January when it's too cold to do anything else. Beer is also a critical item for the task.
    yup... i'll spray, blow it out and then lube...I have enough projects. Thanks for the input. I'll do a more comprehensive job next winter

hmmmm......

Spray, blow, lube... hmmm seems backwards.

Paul_E_D