Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

Re: Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro-imag00961-jpg

So I couldn't help myself, unpacked some of my gear from the move a couple months ago, and try this thing out. Just rode another 8 miles and have a better opinion of the bike.
    Its a torque monster for sure, I was able to crawl up some hills to test it out..it effortlessly lugs at very low rpm. There is no need to gear it down, unlike my bikes of the past.
    Its not a fast bike, the power is much tamer than I was expecting. Although from what Dave was saying, it is very easy to wake them up. That being said, its still more power than I need.
    One thing that stood out, was how stable it is over rocks/roots/inclines. I'm guessing the soft suspension has a lot to do with it, but it still feels much more stable than I recall my XCW200 being.

Fit/finish seems on par with other Euro brands, nothing really sticks out. One thing I really liked about my last KTM (450sx) was the graphics molded into the plastics..wish this bike had that.

If I had a complaint, the exhaust gasket where the front pipe meets the silencer is already spewing black goop. Guessing some safty wire to act as a clamp will help that.

Pretty excited about this bike and it sure felt nice to be on 2 wheels again.

One more complaint, my gear doesn't match! I know I'm not going to be fast, so I at least have to look good trying! Time to go gear shopping..haha

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 06-15-16 at 06:54 PM.
    Yamaha

Mis-matched?!!! unacceptable!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I have actually noticed you always match really well so get on that. Oh and congrats on the bike!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Lifer

Would the black RTV around the exhaust help with the spooge?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sweet! glad you dig it so far Dave was on his way to deliver another one. hotcakes.

on waking it up, think i saw a thread on TT or BetaRider about making tweaks for more power, i'm sure you'll run into it. swapping the pipe for an RR, removing the PV spacer and adjusting the PV were the quickies... i think. high comp head was another.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Would the black RTV around the exhaust help with the spooge?
    Maybe, but I'm not the type to band aid something. The rubber gasket is there, it just needs clamps.

Yamaha

I've had good luck with zip ties on that rubber thingie. Congrats on the new baby Mark!

Lifer

Growing dealer support?!
    There's a bit on the MVTR group on FB about Naults in Manchester NH becoming a Beta dealer.

So I spent a day riding trails yesterday with some friends, the bike now has 32 miles on it.I have an initial impression of it, mostly positive.

Pros..

The motor is a torque monster, very predictable and easy to ride. Perfect for New England type woods.

Its the first bike I have ridden that doesn't skip/bounce/hope/spit you off when climbing a rooty, rocky incline. The bike stays settled and goes in a straight line, almost like magic.

Transmission is super slick, nice smooth shifting.

Little, to no clutch feel/pull. This could be a pro and con, but it feels less fatiguing to ride it in the woods, so i'm going with pro.

Overall size/ergo fits me and my riding style.

Uses so little injection oil per tank of gas, it's almost scary

Love the engine braking, something I'm not used to with a 2-stroke

Push button seat removal/no tools needed

It's pretty to look at

Cons..

Not much of a hit when on the pipe (not that I was expecting much) and kinda boring when the pace picks up in open areas

25 miles from a tank of fuel before needing to switch to reserve doesn't get me excited and will limit me to still taking the quad when I go on trips where fuel range is needed, like north to Maine, or down to Hatfield.

While pretty to look at, it feels cheaply built. Mostly in the control/switch/electrical areas, but not limited to those. I was semi excited about a chain guard figuring my anal self, that it would help keep chain lube from flinging up onto the bike, but it's so cheaply built, it flops around and is already getting chewed up by the rear tire.
    No clamps on the exhaust gasket was a bit cheesy, locking steering doesn't work, and a few other odds and ends.

The seat clearly was not something intended to sit on.

All that being said and even with quite a few cons, I'm still very happy with the bike so far

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Little, to no clutch feel/pull.
    Uses so little injection oil per tank of gas, it's almost scary
    Cons..
    Not much of a hit when on the pipe (not that I was expecting much) and kinda boring when the pace picks up in open areas
    25 miles from a tank of fuel before needing to switch to reserve doesn't get me excited and will limit me to still taking the quad when I go on trips where fuel range is needed, like north to Maine, or down to Hatfield.
    While pretty to look at, it feels cheaply built. Mostly in the control/switch/electrical areas, but not limited to those. I was semi excited about a chain guard figuring my anal self, that it would help keep chain lube from flinging up onto the bike, but it's so cheaply built, it flops around and is already getting chewed up by the rear tire.
    No clamps on the exhaust gasket was a bit cheesy, locking steering doesn't work, and a few other odds and ends.
    The seat clearly was not something intended to sit on.
    All that being said and even with quite a few cons, I'm still very happy with the bike so far
    I'll take it off your hands when you can't stand it any more.
    And congrats on the new bike!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Mark, I'm concerned about your fuel range. I haven't logged mine carefully, but it *seemed* to do a bit better on fuel than that....

I presume you ran the first tank w/ pre-mix? (How Dave set mine up) How many tanks have you run?

CCS/LRRS #83

There wasn't much fuel in it when I got it, so I filled it that same day after a 5 mile ride around/check the mail, etc. He told me to make sure the oil injection level dropped some while riding, which it did. If it dropped, don't bother to premix, so I added straight gas. I had to switch to reserve at 25 miles, that being said, I didn't measure the amount of fuel I put in the bike, and don't know what is left once on reserve.
    The riding was a mix of single track, fields, and some wider/faster fire roads.

Yamaha

It's hard for me to say w/ the Stimilon MX riding thrown in there, but IIRC Daveo had said a tank was good for closer to 40 miles or so?

You're also assuredly a wee bit higher on the revs than I.... I think "lugging" is what I've become best at...

CCS/LRRS #83

on fuel consumption, make sure you check your float height. many RR's were/are delivered with a high float which, as you know, can lead to poor mileage. a handful of owners also do the float drain loop but not sure the XT has the exact same carb.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    on fuel consumption, make sure you check your float height. many RR's were/are delivered with a high float which, as you know, can lead to poor mileage. a handful of owners also do the float drain loop but not sure the XT has the exact same carb.
    Good to know, something I'll check on mine when I decide it's time to tear into it a bit.

CCS/LRRS #83

Hey guys I just bought a '15 Xtrainer. I love it! I'm 5'7" 155lbs and have never owned a bike that fits me until now. I'm loving it and don't notice any of the cons other guys talk about... prob because I'm on the smaller side.

Any ways I'm looking to replace a worn out rear tire. Any xtrainer owners have a recommendation?
    My bike has a tubliss system on it.
    Motoz Hybrid tire looks interesting but the weight scares me

You're worried about the weight of a rear tire???

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

It's a 300 right?? Should be fine. If I let weight weigh on my dirty bike decisions I would just get rid of it.. Geared up I'm in the 300 pound class and do just fine.

Braaaap. Get a tire that works well on the terrain that you plan to ride. Then ride the shit out of it. Have fun!!

which Motoz Hybrid were you thinking of trying? I just scored an Arena Hybrid to try out, forgot to weigh it before throwing it on but it's supposed to be lighter than other Motoz models. FWIW, I've run lighter and heavier rears on my 250 and never felt a difference. even with UHD tube + heavy tire ... you should be fine with Tubliss. big weight savings over UHD right there.

Beta 200RR

Thanks for the feedback guys. Normally I don't go crazy counting grams on a dirtbike either but the whole point of this xtrainer is that it is light. So a 16lbs rear tire could be a bad choice or it could go un-noticed...

heres a link to the motoz I am looking at: Motoz Mountain Hybrid Tire - Dirt Bike Test

Quote Originally Posted by tech1234 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Normally I don't go crazy counting grams on a dirtbike either but the whole point of this xtrainer is that it is light. So a 16lbs rear tire could be a bad choice or it could go un-noticed...

heres a link to the motoz I am looking at: Motoz Mountain Hybrid Tire - Dirt Bike Test

Not to de rail your point to much, but if the whole point of the xtrainer was weight, you chose the wrong bike. I have a '16 xtrainer and it's not even close to as light as the KTM xcw200 I had was. Stock for stock, the ktm also felt more powerful than the 300xtrainer

Yamaha

Lifer

I have the same ('12) 200 XC-W. Dry weight specs are right in the ballpark. I only got to ride an x-trainer around the lot not really ring it out. But I agree the power felt incredibly similar. The whole bike; ergos, controls, brakes, yadda yadda felt super similar. So similar I decided I already had an x-trainer someone had painted orange and would leave well enough alone.

I think you need to go 125 or something to get much lighter.

I agree worrying about weight in tires is a waste of mental effort.

Fitted a MT16 to my two-hunny recently. I dig it.

i has agree. as much as i love my RR... it ain't light... BUT, i never feel it until i'm in an ultra-nasty situation and tired. you need to get below the 209 mark for (2T) bikes to feel truely 'light'

Beta 200RR

If you're concerned about tire weight, I'll take it off your hands and you can get a 500 EXC or a 500/300 XCW.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Just hopping in here to say I still adore the hell out of mine. Am starting to learn some little wheelie-to-clear-logs routines and getting through the little rock garden sections now full standing w/ no touches. For low speed and balance type stuff, this thing is the balls. The engine braking is also very helpful coming down hill, just engine brake and front brake and you're in control. I got a LOT more comfortable adjusting the levers up front to be canted down more, as I tend to stand much more often than not. I'm also very impressed with the brakes, this thing nearly threw my buddy over the bars after he got off the borrowed KDX.

This winter my to dos include:

- Get the shock reworked for my size / weight, I will probably send out the forks but don't expect much other than new springs.
    - Bar risers, not sure what I need but going to go w/ at least 30mm
    - Get a new rear fender / mudguard / tail light assembly (broke mine whilst practicing dank whoolies)
    - Get a new set of plastics, something a little.... darker.
    - Sort out that exhaust joint, as others have noted it spooges everywhere.
    - Grippier tires for NE woods

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83