Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

Re: Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I guess I just want a lowered dirt bike, that still offers great motor performance. Like I said, my 350 has too much for me to use, but a good running 175-200cc 2-stroke has always been my favorite for NETRA events. A 300cc 2-stroke, with no power valve, a small pipe, and a heavy flywheel is great for the rock gardens, but maybe not so great for when things open up even a little bit.
    You should have tried my 200 at Sean's..it's magic, you would have never bought the 350 4-stroke...lol It was by far the easiest/yet most fun bike I have ever owned/ridden. The wide range in performance from the motor is impressive...from off idle, to on the pipe. Just IMHO, I think it's silly to think a detuned 300 2 stroke will be easier to ride than the 200 was. It's not just about motor, it's also about weight..stock my 200 was just 208lbs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Yeah, but lowering the bike will more than make up for the extra 10 pounds.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I've been happier than a pig in poop with my 200. It is exactly the woods play bike I set out to buy.
    I demo'ed the 350 XCF-W and a smattering of 250 and 300cc orange 2-strokes. But I was unable to try a 200 before I bought. I bought it on reputation alone. While I am still a pretty green rider, I think it lives up to the hype.

My biggest beefs are mixing fuel, the low-slung pipe, and it just doesn't quite have enough nut down-low to loft the front wheel over obstacles with a larger rider like me aboard. I know some of this is technique, and I'm working on it. But I believe it should be easier. A slight slip of the clutch and the front wheel should start to lift, I think. The engine will haul ass once wound up. But I argue the power down low is somewhat lacking. Although only somewhat.

Seems to me that Paul is dead on. This 300 Beta looks to resolve a lot of that. Tuned for torque over all-out power. Up-swept pipe that looks a lot easier for newer riders to not destroy. And oil injection. All that while keeping the advertised dry weight right on par with the KTM 200 XC-W. Seems like a sweet combo to me.

The biggest problem is the price tag and the fact that used XC-W 200's exist.

Tank capacity is within 1/2 gal of the 200 XC-W as well.

Almost sounds like you are in too high of a gear to get the front to loft.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Yes, I should have *bought* your 200. I have a Terra-X lowering kit coming (if it ever gets here - ordered a month ago, literally), and I hope that makes my 350 closer to perfect for me.

The 350 is fast, hell my xc-f 250 feels brutally fast and no longer in the beginner/vet category. I never thought whiskey throttle could be possible on a 250 single, but this thing hit hard.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

That is for sure - 4-stroke singles are sure not what they used to be! I grew up with Honda XL's, transitioned into XR's, DR's, and KLX's. My current 350EXC is considered "softly tuned" by current race standards, but it still has more power than I will ever use. In fact, riding a 500EXC back to back with my 350 had me feeling like they both had the same amount of power, just different delivery.
    But none of them feel like a 2-stroke. I still like the idea of the Beta X-Trainer, and I would love to try one out.

Stopped by motoworx today. They have no bikes yet. But they are cleaning up their garage. lol. He said early Feb likely on the bikes. It is really a garage, not a retail shop. He said they are going to start selling tires and tubes and a few accessories along with the Betas. Not really a dealership. More of an outlet.

He's mounting up my ice tires. Pray for ICE. lol

Paul_E_D

hah! thanks for the update. working with them on sourcing that PV spacer, looks like shipping is a better option than driving out.

(although i could hit Fishtails with a certain someone )

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You should have tried my 200 at Sean's..it's magic, you would have never bought the 350 4-stroke...lol It was by far the easiest/yet most fun bike I have ever owned/ridden. The wide range in performance from the motor is impressive...from off idle, to on the pipe. Just IMHO, I think it's silly to think a detuned 300 2 stroke will be easier to ride than the 200 was. It's not just about motor, it's also about weight..stock my 200 was just 208lbs
    Mark, your 200 lofted the front wheel TOO easily when I rode it. mine was a bit lazier when I got it. A little jetting work goes a long way with those 200s. I'd love to ride one with some porting and head work.

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    Mark, your 200 lofted the front wheel TOO easily when I rode it. mine was a bit lazier when I got it. A little jetting work goes a long way with those 200s. I'd love to ride one with some porting and head work.
    This is what confuses me when I read what some are saying here..unless my 200 ran that much better than all the others. Everyone that's ridden mine was surprised at how easily the front end was to lift, and how tractor like the low end was...and how much it ripped up top. For what it's worth, I never touched the jetting..unless the dealer changed it before I picked it up new

Yamaha

nothing to be confused about... +100cc allows you to be even more lazy when the going gets tough. twist and it's there, without fanning at all. 10lbs could be significant but swap the battery and you're very close, especially if you don't run a full tank. then compare the seat heights.

i'm only 5' 10" but my RR is a little low sometimes, i smack frame a lot. the XTrainer is a bit lower i think. good for confidence, not good for obstacles (without proper protection or approach).

having said all that... my 165 felt like a mountain bike compared to the RR. i assume the 200 Pumpkin has the same light feel. def consideration. always hard to tell with enduro bikes that are loaded down with all the bullshit. (rider included)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

another small bump for the Beta... they are very good about jetting out of the box. super crisp with an easy chart for seasons. air screw only style chit.

/really not trying to cheerlead. just very impressed.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hah! thanks for the update. working with them on sourcing that PV spacer, looks like shipping is a better option than driving out.

(although i could hit Fishtails with a certain someone )
    Let me know if you come out. A little ice before fishtails maybe?

Paul_E_D

will do. they can't order from Beta until the 4th so will prob be in a few weeks... let that iceeee prime

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Almost sounds like you are in too high of a gear to get the front to loft.
    Or maybe I am just too damned heavy? Or maybe just really terrible at wheelies? Or..

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    For what it's worth, I never touched the jetting..unless the dealer changed it before I picked it up new
    ..I have. I have a very comprehensive jet and needle kit that came to me with the bike. I have been jetting it per the book for the season. That is to say I aim for a mid-way point for summer riding and then change again in the fall for ice riding. Although I'm still running summer jetting with the warm temps we've been having.

Previous owner (who raced the bike with NETRA) tried to explain how he picked the jets. I didn't quite follow and he finally just said "just follow the book, it'll be good enough for you". Honestly I haven't played with it enough. Maybe the bike is capable of more power if I were to fool with the jetting.

Maybe the engine is tired? Remember folks, I'm brand new to 2-strokes and have no experience here. Could be the 200 is gods gift to 2-wheels, but I'm simply doing it wrong. I have been saying I wouldn't open the engine until I had to.

It also occurred to me that the bike has a 2nd map you access by closing a circuit with a connector under the tank. I remember thinking I'd screw with that some other day, but wasn't ready for it. Maybe I am now.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-01-16 at 05:13 PM.

You need to rev it up I'm betting.

I had no issue ever with lifting the front wheel of my bone stock CR125. Down low on the rev range? No way. But it you try to use the power where it makes the most of it, it'll do it.

Compression test would be a good indicator of engine health....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Ride more = lose weight & learn to loft that front wheel!

You mean low speeds/1st gear? Or graham jarvis style? (Man his slo mo recent IG vids are ridic)

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    You mean low speeds/1st gear? Or graham jarvis style?
    These are the same thing. Well, low speed 2nd gear. On my 200 1st is only useful for starting on steep hills or rock gardens. Pop to 2nd as soon as you are rolling and fan that left lever.

I think you're doing it wrong.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Yeah, but I'm looking good doing it.

No doubt.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

It's the stitch.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

had a nice long chat with Dave at Motoworx this morning, they've got 6 new bikes on order and a few well-prepped bikes available for demos, including the X-Trainer.

they're in the process of revamping the shop to bump it from the 'hole in the wall' Paul mentioned seeing. Dave also talked about setting up an open house / demo day around April. tour the shop, shoot the shit about the Beta's then go ride them at a certain, special little sand track nearby.

i mentioned that they should try to get up to Clough for a demo day too, would be a great spot. hard with their race schedule but i'll keep you guys posted about the local day. i'd love to sample a 300 Race.

his son is ripping shit up in NETRA Hare Scrambles and Enduro series on the Beta, bumping to AA this year.

Beta 200RR

Dussault??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet