Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

Re: Beta Xtrainer - Entry level 300cc 2T Enduro

FYI the 2016 300 is considered THE bike to have in Europe right now. People buy them for everything off road and love them. Also in most countries they can be plated and street legal.

Friend of mine usually rode on for Greek magazine and had nothing but great things to say about it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I assume you mean the RR300, not the Xtrainer.
    Reading around the internets I am reminded how fortunate to live in a state where I can street reg this thing. Although I think even MA-holes can.

I wonder how one of these things would go in sumo mode.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I wonder how one of these things would go in sumo mode.
    speaking of... i'd love to take one of these little guys for a rip!

RR 50 Motard Track

Beta 200RR

a lot of this is repeat info but some of it i hadn't seen/read yet, like the charts and Freeride comparison...

---------

OZ DRZ, on 10 Feb 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

There was a recent thread about the Xtrainer vs the RR300 but had a lot of questions about these in relation to the KTM Freeride as well. Had a lot of good feedback on some graphs we did up to explain how all three bikes tend to overlap a fair bit, and figured this might help someone trying to decide which way to swing. To our way of thinking, the Xtrainer tends to sit nicely between the two which is why I think it will be popular, given many felt the Freeride was just a bit too 'soft'.

As for a straight comparison on the Beta Xtrainer vs the RR300, we've slapped together a vid, or just read the text below.

BETA XTRAINER vs BETA RR3 COMPARISON - YouTube

The Xtrainer is based on the RR300 but has a detuned engine, a lower seat height, less weight, and suspension more suited to slow technical terrain. The critical part, how do they compare when riding? For the vast majority of us trail hacks, there is a lot of overlap between these bikes, unless you main do fast open riding, or are simply a very experienced aggressive rider.

HOW THE XTRAINER DIFFERS
    Lower compression 11.3:1 rather than 12:1
    Tighter full lock turn
    More torque-friendly expansion chamber that is less exposed
    Same electric start but no kickstart
    Oil injection system
    Seat is an inch lower
    Five kg (11 pounds) lighter
    Lighter Ollé suspension with slightly less travel
    GoldenTyre knobbies (RR has Michelin Comp 3)

Power wise, essentially they've knocked the top end off the RR300 but I seriously wonder for the majority of riders (myself included) if this would be an issue. We all like think we are Jonny Walker, but most of us couldn't use that top end in anything but a straight line. Most us would be flat out even using the top end of the Xtrainer more than 2% on a dirt ride. It's more than that though, the Xtrainer is not as snappy, very predictable, and loves finding traction. The RR300 is good in these respects, but the Xtrainer takes it to a new level.

Handling? That five kg drop in weight and low seat height make the Xtrainer an absolute joy to ride as the tracks get tougher and slower.There is a lot of overlap with the RR300 in this respect for dirt riding in general, but certainly as the speed picks up the Xtrainer won't feel as planted and that springy suspension that works so well in hard terrain starts to bottom out when pushed hard.

Some reviews talk about the forgiving nature, of the Xtrainer... you can push it hard but that low seat height, light weight and tractable engine let you push the envelope more than normal, and the bike doesn't immediately drop you on your arse when you make a mistake.

A lot of guys complain about the suspension but for its purpose we think Beta did a fairly good job on the Xtrainer. If you do weigh more than 80kg then put in stiffer springs, as you would for most dirt bikes. But if you are ridng hard and fast enough to find the Xtrainer suspension too limiting then maybe the RR300 was the bike you should have bought.

Having said that though, there are so many interchangeable parts between the Xtrainer and RR300, and genuine Beta parts are so cheap, that it can be fun to tinker and get different results from the engine and suspension.

WOULD THE XTRAINER BE A GOOD BEGINNER'S BIKE?
    A problem with the word 'trainer' in the title is a raw beginner might buy the Xtrainer as their first dirt bike. The lower seat and light weight would be be great, but you have to remember this has the same low to mid range power as any 300 two stroke and a raw beginner could get into trouble quickly. If someone already had the basic skills down from road riding, or say was a teenager who had outgrown a small bike and had good riding skills I'd say the Xtrainer could be an option. Here's a handy summary..."As a bike between Beta’s novice-friendly Alp series and racing RR machines, the Xtrainer is not a bike for an absolute newcomer. The seat height can still intimidate newer riders, and the motor is fairly potent if you get it up into the higher rev ranges. Its propensity for forgiveness is still dependent upon a rider who knows what he’s doing." - Ultimate Motorcycling

So if you deciding between an Xtrainer or a full blown two stroke enduro 300 we hope this review helps. and of course get a test ride if you can. Here are some other reviews about the Xtrainer that we felt were quite accurate from our impressions of the bike.

ULTIMATE MOTORCYCLING REVIEW
    The magic of the Xtrainer is the combination of light weight and low seat height. It allows a rider to aggressively attack a difficult obstacle on the trail, knowing that he can get his boots to the ground if necessary. Plus, the Xtrainer has the exactness of a scalpel, with both wheels going where intended... For a trail bike that is so responsive in its handling when you want it to be, the Xtrainer is also extraordinarily forgiving. Again, the light weight and low center-of- gravity make you into a hero. If something goes wrong, just give the throttle a bit of a twist and point the Beta where you want to go. It bails you out, and you continue on your way, thinking about how lucky you were to not hit the dirt.

ANDREW'S GUMBY RIDER REVIEW
    The first thing to say is that reviews and articles by hard core riders you might get the impression that this is some sort of soft, tame beginner's dirt bike. It's definitely not... the bike has heaps of pep. I felt like I was on a full enduro bike. More power than you need, light, fast. A fantastic feeling. Fast, power to burn, nimble between the trees . No problems. All I can say is that out of the box it felt just great, and definitely exceeded my expectations. I'm so comfortable on the X-trainer that it's kinda freaking me out how fast I want to push it. It's strange because I thought getting a detuned enduro bike, I'd tend to take it easy, but today I fanged it really hard. Judging by the soft feel of the front forks and the light soft back end (just sitting on the bike) you'd think it would bottom out but I didn't pick that at any stage. I was really amazed how hard it went.

ROON'S COMPARISON (excerpts from his comments on dbw.com.au)
    XT needs to be ridden "slower" in very rocky, rutted terrain, you need to pick your lines and let the supple suspension soak up the hits which lets the wheels remain in contact with the ground giving you great traction... Uphills are similar, but a little different because as a 6 footer myself it does feel like "cheating" on the Xtrainer as it gives you so much confidence to tackle really steep and gnarly sections knowing the power delivery is so steady and that the bike is easier to control due to the lighter weight and smaller size. Your feet can get to the ground much "earlier" if it starts to go pear shaped....and when it does go wrong the XT is easy to pick up. For general single track riding there isn't much in it, the Xtrainer is just a bit more flickable than an RR300 (but about the same as an RR250), the brakes are killer, the power delivery and gearing are spot on and the suspension soaks it all up. For open fire trails I'd take the RR anytime, more stable at higher speeds, able to get on the pipe and lay some roost...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    not sure, drop Dave Dussalut a line, he'll set you up ... dbdussault [at ] eba-d.com
    I may or may not have sent an exploratory email to Dave...

CCS/LRRS #83

nice ! i hear there is a flier for the April 9th demo day. have not seen it yet.

Last edited by typeone; 02-13-16 at 02:11 PM. Reason: date correction
    Beta 200RR

nice ! i hear there is a flier for the April 19th demo day. have not seen it yet.
    I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait to get a demo... I might not have that kind of patience. And since a certain Mr. Ripper teased me with his KTM only to steal the candy away from me.. I think I have heard and know enough about this bike to consider it a legitimate first bike for me and one I can keep and tweak and tune to my liking the more experience I get off the asphalt. After my tax return and slaying some bills, I think I'll have some $ to put down.

Now... Mr. typeone, I hope you realize you are about to gain a new best friend. I see all those trick drooley bits you've been going on about in your 250 thread.... and also mentioned to Dave how much of a Beta Pimp you have been on here. You reap what you sew man... just sayin'

CCS/LRRS #83

LOL took Dave about 5 mins before he replied to my inquiry.... haha. He knows that you are quite the whore salesman there Clint.

CCS/LRRS #83

yeeHaw! you won't regret the decision if you go Beta. love, love, love. i'm sure Dave talked your ear off about Beta as well, they all drank the GRAPPA haadcoah. really psyched they're building that shop/dealership up. Knights isn't in it to win it like Motoworx is.

look forward to seeing another Beeta on the trail

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    LOL took Dave about 5 mins before he replied to my inquiry.... haha. He knows that you are quite the whore salesman there Clint.
    told him i'd spread the Good Werd

Beta 200RR

We'll see, gonna try and get out to check em out in person at the Snowrun next Sunday. I doubt I'll be able to contain myself. Just gotta check ze books but methinks I can swing it.

CCS/LRRS #83

We'll see, gonna try and get out to check em out in person at the Snowrun next Sunday. I doubt I'll be able to contain myself. Just gotta check ze books but methinks I can swing it.
    You might get an enduro boner.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm thinking chances are likely.

CCS/LRRS #83

I wasn't planning on going. I'll be keeping an eye on conditions and temps.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

We'll see, gonna try and get out to check em out in person at the Snowrun next Sunday.
    there is nothing to 'check out' except your cart with a bike in it. (oooh, the pressure. so hot)

Beta 200RR

Rode the ZRX out to Southwick to check things out. Only toddled around the muddy parking lot on the XT, but enough to see how supple and easy to ride she is. Now just trying to justify my first dirty bike being more than any other bike in my stable...

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Yup. That's the one glaring problem I see with this thing vs the KTM 2-300cc enduros; there are a butload of used KTMs floating around.

I have no problem spending more on a dirtbike. Think about how much tougher a job it has than you street bikes. Quality matters, even though you are going to destroy it much more quickly... plus, most used dirtbikes need a lot of TLC to get them up to snuff (in my experience)

Paul_E_D

Lifer

My experience : 2-3 year old used KTM 2-stroke. ~100 hours. Your choice of 5-10 on CL scattered across New England. Needs nothing, runs now. All must have mods. (Bash plate, hand guards, etc.) Some "cosmetic" flaws. (Plastics are forked, seat is torn.) ~Half new MSRP. Less if you want to bust nuts and haggle lots.

Used 2-stroke KTMs are compelling value. Especially for the new rider who is most certainly going to drop it a lot and barely knows what they really want anyway.

All the more so if you are an experienced wrench. You may have gotten lucky with yours, but trust me when I say that many are basket cases. If you can buy smart, used is the best way for sure.

Paul_E_D

This is one of the reasons I'm considering the Beta. I have enough high-maintenance stuff going on right now, and really just want something to hop on and go and dabble a bit this year and next.

Dave said his son's 250 that was raced all year had zero maintenance other than air filters and tranny oil. No hydraulic / bleeding issues, nada. Plus they come standard w/ a Rekluse, skid plate, etc. and the e-start + oil injection make owning a 2-stroke easy (at least to start off w/). All that and arguably easier to ride than a 200...

Everything I've heard / seen about these things indicates they are well built and robust and built more like an enduro than a true "race" bike. But then again, whadda I know...?

Last edited by scottieducati; 02-22-16 at 10:29 AM.

CCS/LRRS #83

i don't understand the debate, who doesn't love a brandy new dirt bike?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yup. That's the one glaring problem I see with this thing vs the KTM 2-300cc enduros; there are a butload of used KTMs floating around.
    yeah, but they're KTMs

half MSRP for a used Pumpkin? that's still a good ~4 - 5K for a clean bike (10-14 year old bikes for 2K excluded). add a couple hundred for maintenance items or some personalization (fresh plastic, seat cover, a dry bearing the PO didnt want to deal with, whatever) and you're pretty damn close to the cost of a new XTrainer.

it's great KTMs hold their value, but i wouldn't call used ones cheap by any means. still a decent chunk of change for a bike with an unknown history. to echo Paul, they take a beating from day 1. very few riders actually maintain their bikes well. it's expensive and time consuming.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I guess it depends on your threshold. My 200 has been pretty darn good to me. It had a few gotchas hiding in the shadows. The botched helicoil drain bolt repair irked me. I didn't happen to notice quite how borked the electrics were. The wheel bearings are shot. And the clutch master had to be rebuilt shortly after I bought it. But on the flip side it came with a mountain of spares; spare bars, spare air cleaners, spare rear wheel, 2 brand new rear tires, 2 extra expansion pipes, new grips, new plastics, new seat, full jet/needle kit and assortment of springs to play with. All in all my experience buying used was very good. Even if the engine had ate itself 2 months in and I had to rebuild the top end, I'd still be happy with the value.

If you truly want a pay and play setup it is probably the only way to be sure. Just be ready to pay. Don't forget all the extras you need with that shiny new $9000 dirt bike: Air cleaners, bash plate and hand guards. Shit adds up fast.

And I can only imagine the heartbreak the first time you drop it in a rock garden!

I dunno. Maybe I did get lucky. Happens to me all the time.

I maintain: The biggest problem with these new betas is a used ktm.

Oh very good points. Just FYI the XT is $7500 w/ freight.

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

half MSRP for a used Pumpkin? that's still a good ~4 - 5K for a clean bike (10-14 year old bikes for 2K excluded). add a couple hundred for maintenance items or some personalization (fresh plastic, seat cover, a dry bearing the PO didnt want to deal with, whatever) and you're pretty damn close to the cost of a new XTrainer.
    I really want you to show your work on this one. Either the xtrainer is way cheaper than I thought (google says $6999), or you are taking some liberty expanding "a couple hundred" into $2-3k!

Personally, I'm okay riding with unfresh plastics and a torn seat cover. KTM wheel bearings cost $34 from amazon for both ends.

There is no doubt used is a better deal, but new is new.

Paul_E_D