Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What bike?

What bike?

I may have a buyer for the husky. My motivation for selling is to get something street legal. Not for long road treks, but to connect trails as well, and the option to pop into town quickly.

I have about 4-5k budget. Would like a 4 stroke that can handle the trails well. Was thinking a KTM 350 excf, but I can’t seem to find any in my price range. Is the 250 enough power?

Any other good choices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: What bike?

Both are enough power.
    Over the winter there were a few 350’s around 5k. Keep an eye on Adv flea market.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Both are enough power.
    Over the winter there were a few 350’s around 5k. Keep an eye on Adv flea market.
    Any other brands / bikes worth looking at? The rest street legal seem too heavy

Lifer

Isn't the last of the Husabergs, the FE250/FE350 essentially the same thing with different plastics?

Beta? Probably be on the upper end of your budget but I believe they've got a few models that come ready for a plate.

Are you willing to do some work to a bike to plate it, and does it need to be indisputably compliant? E.g. do you care if it doesn't have a horn. I believe the Husqvarna 300 2T is almost ready for the road from the factory minus a few minor things that maybe no one will miss.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Isn't the last of the Husabergs, the FE250/FE350 essentially the same thing with different plastics?

Beta? Probably be on the upper end of your budget but I believe they've got a few models that come ready for a plate.

Are you willing to do some work to a bike to plate it, and does it need to be indisputably compliant? E.g. do you care if it doesn't have a horn. I believe the Husqvarna 300 2T is almost ready for the road from the factory minus a few minor things that maybe no one will miss.
    I was looking for a 4t because I am looking at a few jobs in CA, so if I move I need it to be legal, otherwise, there is a decent deal on an xtrainer!

I have a house in escrow out west right now, having an internal debate on what to replace my gsxr with since riding season is really all year...

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I have a house in escrow out west right now, having an internal debate on what to replace my gsxr with since riding season is really all year...
    Where? Everywhere I look out west screams husky 701 enduro to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Where? Everywhere I look out west screams husky 701 enduro to me.
    Northwest Phoenix. Getting my wife her dream home and a way early retirement. Already sold all my atvs and dirt bikes. Probably going to grab a utv to explore off road to start. Taking my gsxr primarily for track days (lots of tracks out there I want to try), but will need a street bike too...no rush but I am already thinking about it. Road King, Streetglide, Diavel, something used and cruisery I think?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

On the recommendation of loudbeard, I am picking up a 2011 Husaberg FE390 this weekend.

Looking forward to it. Haven’t seen it in person but looks like it is in proper shape.

Anyone have any recommendations for a DOT approved dirt tire? Maybe checking ac-10? Dunlop d606?

Don’t worry about DOT rubber. Just ride it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

What's on it now? Run those till they wear out.

Goldentyre's GT216AA (front tire) happens to be DOT and is the trendy tire of the year. The Pirelli MT16's front tire is DOT but the rear is not. Note that when most people talk about the MT16, they're talking about the rear tire. And if you come across anyone in the woods, there's like a 35% chance that's what they've got on. I can't think of many popular off-road rears that come as DOT. There's nothing DOT about where you should be riding it anyway

nedirtriders.com

congrats on the 'Berg! where is the little Husky going? rode with one a few weekends ago, i got all nostalgic looking it over.

on DOT rubber, check out the Motoz Tractionator Enduro line.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    congrats on the 'Berg! where is the little Husky going? rode with one a few weekends ago, i got all nostalgic looking it over.

on DOT rubber, check out the Motoz Tractionator Enduro line.
    Husky is going to RI tonight. The berg should be perfect. EFI, platable, hydro clutch!

We should get together and ride again soon. I lost 30lbs, so hopefully I won’t die as soon again!

Oh, you’ll come unraveled just as soon.
    Seat time. There’s no substitute.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Husky is going to RI tonight. The berg should be perfect. EFI, platable, hydro clutch!

We should get together and ride again soon. I lost 30lbs, so hopefully I won’t die as soon again!
    nice work! 15lbs so far for me, ~10 more to go.

sounds great on a ride

Beta 200RR

What bike?

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    nice work! 15lbs so far for me, ~10 more to go.

sounds great on a ride
    Picked up the berg. Electrical is kind of a nightmare. Headlight and twilight work, brake actuator does not. How necessary is it to have turn signals in mass? I have a title so I can get a plate, just wondering if I really need a sticker?

Won’t be riding it on the street too much, and not at night, but want to be able to do TMT or hamster and do some local dirt road exploring

Last edited by Jewcati; 05-19-18 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Picked up the berg. Electrical is kind of a nightmare. Headlight and twilight work, brake actuator does not. How necessary is it to have turn signals in mass? I have a title so I can get a plate, just wondering if I really need a sticker?

Won’t be riding it on the street too much, and not at night, but want to be able to do TMT or hamster and do some local dirt road exploring

I don't think anyone bothers inspecting their bikes once registered. To do that you'd need DOT knobbies, turn signals, a horn, a mirror, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

Which brake light actuator works?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I don't think anyone bothers inspecting their bikes once registered. To do that you'd need DOT knobbies, turn signals, a horn, a mirror, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

There is only a rear, but the connector needs to be soldered

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

So if I get a mirror and the brake light works I should be ok? Not t so much worries about inspecting, more that a cop might stop me

Lifer

I’m in the same boat, anyone know what the ticket fee is in NH and MA for being stopped with no sticker?

Lifer

I have turn signals... they are just droopy and held on with electrical tape

Forgot to mention the turn signals are not factory equipment for the US model