Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

new bike advice...

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

new bike advice...

Ok... so I was thinking and believe the gf will be in on this.

That we both want to get into dirtbiking more trail riding than MX.

We live in Wakefield and Cambridge ( not a lot of trails around there..)

Can you guys point area where we could ride or some associations to check out like pilgrim sand trail riders? that could give us more info? I have zero knowledge of locales to take a dirtbike too even round these parts

Just want to see what resources areas to ride are around here ( around here within 90 minutes of boston) and if it's worth to even picking up a dirtbike ( though we can always head up to the conway area of NH as we have a ski house use year round there.

since this is Mass... would it be beneficial to have a bike street titled like an XR to have more areas to ride?

thanks for the input for how wide open this question is...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

re: new bike advice...

ok looks like these are legal places per MA where I would be able to ride in state park/forest

in SE area.. wrentham and freetown are the only areas and both are intermediate and expert

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/orv.htm

hmmmm......

Actually, the parking lot side of Freetown is pretty tame. And the rugged "advanced side" is okay as long as you go slow. There'll probably be a handful of spots you'll have to walk the bike thru.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Also, find a bike that's already plated. Be it a dirtbike or a light dualsport. It'll open up a whole lot of trail networks for ya.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

oh man....I got a thorough (but relatively newbie, so take w' a grain of salt) answer...let me just get out of class!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Also, find a bike that's already plated. Be it a dirtbike or a light dualsport. It'll open up a whole lot of trail networks for ya.
    I have a plated motard xr650r right now... but something lighter woudl be good fro round here but further up north would be better i assume for fire roads? i just need to know where they are and who to go with

hmmmm......

Re: new bike advice...

I'm copy/pasting this from a previous response:

1.) there are 6 state forests in addition to Hodges (which you posted) that are open for OHV

2.) for motocross and closed tracks, there are Crow Hill (Templeton, MA), Capeway Rovers (Middleborough, MA), Southwick, and the flat track up in Winchendon (which also has endurocross events)

all the sites are listed, and google map'd on thumpertalk's Where2Ride section

3.) not posted on Thumpertalk, or anywhere else are Turkey Runs, Hare Scrambles, and Enduro runs through NETRA. Most of them require a street plate, but a few Turkey Runs per year are all on private lands, so you can run your yellow plated bike. They have a list of local clubs here.

4.) there are a couple of illegal, but tolerated, places to ride that I don't know about along with private land (AND AS ALWAYS, DO NOT POST FOR EVERYONE TO READ)

5.) if putting a track system qualifies it as a snowmobile, it will open up a lot of riding areas so long as there's 4" of snow

6.) and lastly, I don't know if it's legal to ride on lakes and ponds (I called the town recreation department about a local one, and they said no), but the rules for most public ones say "(...in regards to ice) Snowmobiles, motorcycles, iceboats or any other winter recreational vehicles shall exercise reasonable caution and keep a reasonable distance from all persons...". If it were illegal, why would that rule be there?

Driving over Lake Quinsigamond right now, you could definitely see snowmobile tracks going across the lake.

for trails, the state forests that are closest to you are the best legal bet

and yes, since there are limited riding areas, a street plate definitely helps to connect trails and ride gravel roads (see theothersean's threads)

but imho, if you're coming all the way from Boston, wouldn't you just trailer it and just use the $40 ATV plate? I wasn't sure if you wanted to ride an hour home after hitting the trails for a few hours (not to mention possible broken street parts and gas)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-18-10 at 02:52 PM.

Re: new bike advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    3.) not posted on Thumpertalk, or anywhere else are Turkey Runs, Hare Scrambles, and Enduro runs through NETRA. Most of them require a street plate, but a few Turkey Runs per year are all on private lands, so you can run your yellow plated bike. They have a list of local clubs here.
    I just have to correct this...NETRA events are posted on www.nedirtbikes.com. Great group of guys over there too!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!