Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

new bike - mini MX!

Re: new bike - mini MX!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You have no idea... and it has nothing to do with it being a Honda/Kawi/Suzi/BBI/Vinco/etc, you can pour money into all of them. Want me to get started on JUST money you can spend on that motor of yours? : )
    i just started reading PM, i see your name on there... you're in deep, dude

you may be getting some messages from me with questions in the near future, if you dont mind.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Hi, my name is Kurlon, and I have an addiction...

I've got no problems helping spread the illness, ask away!

Hi, my name is Kurlon, and I have an addiction...

I've got no problems helping spread the illness, ask away!
    nice

first question then... are the motard wheel kits from Pitster any good? i can get member pricing of $175, PO of the bike has the same set so I can make him an offer, seems dirt cheap.

i know i can go nuts on higher end, but will the ~$200 kits (also looked at MiniMobs tard kit) last me a while?

EDIT: here's the kit he has. asked if he would include in the deal but wants to eBay a bunch of spare stuff.

Last edited by typeone; 10-26-09 at 10:24 AM.
    Beta 200RR

As long as you keep the spokes and rotor/sprocket bolts tight, the cast hub Pitster units work fine.

Does your bike have cast or 'billet' hubs at the moment? X4Rs with billet hubs had slightly different spacers, so you'll want to make sure to get a set to match these wheels when you order. (Call the order in and let them know what you have now.)

Is the MiniMob kit the Italian cast wheels? If so those puppies are gorgeous, I could have saved a small fortune if those existed when I built my mini...

Also, if you're going to race on pavement, get the dual piston front caliper that shipped on later X4s from Pitster. You can put proper sintered pads in, HUGE increase in stopping power and fade resistance compared to the single piston unit you have now. At the very least pop your pads out and get some 'red' EBC pads for it if you don't want to swap calipers.

As long as you keep the spokes and rotor/sprocket bolts tight, the cast hub Pitster units work fine.

Does your bike have cast or 'billet' hubs at the moment? X4Rs with billet hubs had slightly different spacers, so you'll want to make sure to get a set to match these wheels when you order. (Call the order in and let them know what you have now.)

Is the MiniMob kit the Italian cast wheels? If so those puppies are gorgeous, I could have saved a small fortune if those existed when I built my mini...

Also, if you're going to race on pavement, get the dual piston front caliper that shipped on later X4s from Pitster. You can put proper sintered pads in, HUGE increase in stopping power and fade resistance compared to the single piston unit you have now. At the very least pop your pads out and get some 'red' EBC pads for it if you don't want to swap calipers.
    great info, thanks! i have the stock X4 hubs/wheels right now.

the MiniMob billet kit is only $270 and yeah, sweetness

thanks for the brake tip, my rear sucks ass and hits the footpeg. the bike has been sitting so i'm going to do all fluids and inspect the pads but good to hear i can upgrade. overall the bike works mint, just some fine tuning (yeah, right. $$$ pit! hahaa)

Beta 200RR

my rear doesn't do much, need to bleed mine as well.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Eh, I prefer the cast hubs to those actually, too many things to potentially loosen up/go wrong with those bolt together hubs.

I was referring to these: http://www.ahpminis.com/store/produc...roducts_id=919

On the rear brakes, a ton of the chinese rear brake masters have horrid seals. If it keeps sucking air over time, plan on putting an NSR50 rear brake master rebuild kit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    my rear doesn't do much, need to bleed mine as well.
    after i do fluid, bleed and pad check i may grind a little off the pedal. its the cheapo stocker so no sweat if i fuck it up.

uh, Kurlon, i may rethink talking to you about this mini stuff... those wheels got me happy in the pants. fuck, my wallet is in danger, marriage already is due to two-wheeled addiction. hahaaa!

Beta 200RR

On the rear brakes, a ton of the chinese rear brake masters have horrid seals. If it keeps sucking air over time, plan on putting an NSR50 rear brake master rebuild kit to it.
    can I/we find a whole different rear brake setup to bolt on that is better?

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I know Honda NSR50 brake masters use the same mount spacing and accept import push rods, as that's what I use on one of my bikes. I'm sure 11-billionty other Hondas/brands use the same mounting as well, I just haven't tried them personally. If someone's got a trashy dirt donk you can rip parts off of, see the rear master will bolt up, if so, it's cake to swap push rods.

Where are you planning on grinding on your brake pedal typeone? You should be able to adjust the brake rod so the pedal smacks up against the peg bar, and has a lil freeplay before engaging when you push it down? (No freeplay is bad, your brake will pump up and drag, when it gets warm, the rear will lock up.)

Where are you planning on grinding on your brake pedal typeone? You should be able to adjust the brake rod so the pedal smacks up against the peg bar, and has a lil freeplay before engaging when you push it down? (No freeplay is bad, your brake will pump up and drag, when it gets warm, the rear will lock up.)
    i need to bleed/adjust before grinding but the stock steel pedal has a real thick arm to it that's hitting the peg mount. i haven't tried adjusting the brake rod yet but def will, just like the position of it right now, i dont like brake pedals up too high above the peg.

Beta 200RR

The rear brake can be adjusted properly without any grinding. I have exactly the same X4 setup and I ride it every other week on my top secret mini-enduro track. They do jump pretty well as long as you don't get silly. There were 3 rear spring rates on the 07 model. At your weight, you can get by with either the 900lb/in. or the 1000lb./in. If you have an 800lb. swap it out before you start jumping it or you risk bending the shaft.

If you race Mini-Motard at Rte.106 put 3" rise bars on and raise the fork oil height to 85mm.

When you guys are ready to ride, let me know.

If you do a parts order from Pitster throw on a 2.75x14 front tire. This is a must for an adult to really go fast on that.

Rt 106 won't be doing any more mini racing unfortunately...

Otherwise, listen to da man, he's been there done that on an X4. : )

That's too bad about RTE.106. I couldn't get my lazy ass out of bed early enough to make Craigs new early Sunday morning races anyways. I do miss dragging my knees through the infield with you Kurlon. We had some good racing until you bought the blueprinted head and 153 kit.

ooo secret mini track? framingham perhaps? lets ride aha

LRRS #399
    MX #505

What days can you ride Seth? We could probably get Bahavesh to bring his XR too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
    What days can you ride Seth? We could probably get Bahavesh to bring his XR too.
    hmm, during the week is tough, I work til 5ish but could get to framingham pretty quick

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I'll start watching the weather and we can pick 1 day this weekend. My friend Joey might be able to make a weekend ride too.

ok sweet

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I'll start watching the weather and we can pick 1 day this weekend. My friend Joey might be able to make a weekend ride too.
    Lil Joey, has he finally grown up? Has he kissed a girl yet? I so need to razzz him...

Little Joey A. has grown about 6 or 8 inches. I'd say his light weight advantage is gone.
    It's Joey Kolbe that I still ride with. You might remember Joey from Rte.106. He drives a really old red Landcruiser with 35" tires. We ride full size bikes in the woods about every other week.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-27-09 at 03:18 PM.

The rear brake can be adjusted properly without any grinding. I have exactly the same X4 setup and I ride it every other week on my top secret mini-enduro track. They do jump pretty well as long as you don't get silly. There were 3 rear spring rates on the 07 model. At your weight, you can get by with either the 900lb/in. or the 1000lb./in. If you have an 800lb. swap it out before you start jumping it or you risk bending the shaft.

If you race Mini-Motard at Rte.106 put 3" rise bars on and raise the fork oil height to 85mm.

When you guys are ready to ride, let me know.

If you do a parts order from Pitster throw on a 2.75x14 front tire. This is a must for an adult to really go fast on that.
    thanks for the info! been busy with work so i haven't adjusted the rear brake yet but i suspect everything will be fine as you mention. also good tip on the seals/construction of the rear MC.

i don't know what rate the rear spring is but the PO upgraded to Marzocchi up front and Elka in the rear. feels really good, he looked to be about the same size as me, i'm around 170 without gear.

already have a 14/12 setup on it now, i mistyped earlier.

what sumo rim/tire setup are you running on the X4 in the pic? i bet i can score the pitster setup off the PO for dirt cheap. just not sure if a little wider is better. i can save for a better setup if they're not really worth it. winter mods

sweet pics!

Beta 200RR

Those are great bikes. I have the LXR160 and it rips! I have mainly been running it sumo, but did put the dirts back on for a little while this fall. Sounds like you have a good set up with it.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

I'm either going to ride the pitbike on my mini track or take the YZ down to Franklin. Seth, If you want to ride minis this afternoon, post here by 11:15. I'll pm you my phone number.

Eddie

wish i could join you! i'm still busted up from a slipped disc so i can't do any hard riding

hey, do any of you guys know if i would benefit from a decomp kit? this motor is tough to kick over on the initial stroke but once it 'frees up' it kicks just fine. i'm afraid to really stomp on it 'cause i've read about broken parts from kickback.

will a GPX 125 thats been bumped to a TB146cc kit require a decomp setup? specs for the motor are in the first post.

i dont want to drop $150 on a decomp kit if its something else thats causing the hard kick. it starts real easy but man is it hard to kick.

also, while i'm typing... what oil do you guys use? i usually go syn with everything but i read standard dino is better for these little motors (?)

Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast