Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Good bike for off season skills, experienced racer but not a dirt rider

So, I'm looking for a dirt bike to keep up my road racing skills, and learn some new ones. I've never ridden dirt before, I'm not especially tall, and I'd somewhat prefer a 4 stroke just from a maintenance stand point. I have no intention to race this bike, I just want something to keep the rust off and use to learn some new skills that I don't have to augment my road racing. I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want a shitbox either, it would just bother me and then I'd want to spend money on it, money I've already earmarked to road racing.
    recommendations for dirt bikes: go!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MarkMarine; 09-24-13 at 09:57 PM.

Re: Good bike for off season skills, experienced racer but not a dirt rider

Personally I like 2 strokes for many reasons. 2 strokes do not have a lot of bottom end power and make most of their power higher up in the rpms. This means that you have to use the clutch more and also have to learn good throttle control. 2 strokes are also inherently simple by nature and therefore cost less to rebuild the motor. Modern 2 strokes actually require less maintenance than 4 strokes in my opinion.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

feel free to suggest what kinda bikes you'd recommend, I'll take all the suggestions from people with more experience (since I have next to none)

What i mean is models or model ranges, years, stuff like that. What should I be scouring craigslist for?

Last edited by MarkMarine; 09-24-13 at 10:24 PM.

I know smutty doesn't look like it, but he knows what he's talking about... Most of the time... Sometimes... Ok Barely ever, but when he's right, he is RIGHT!

I started on an '07 KX250F about three years ago and it has treated me very well. No major repairs or issues and I've done my best to beat the tar out of it riding both trails and mx. It was easy enough to learn on and I don't feel like I've outgrown it yet.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

For skills development, playbikes are better IMO. You can actually push them passed their limit, which is where the learning happens. An actually MX bike, well, yeah, you're not gonna pass it's limits in this lifetime.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Much of the recommendation depends on the area(s) that you have available to you to ride. For the most part, I like to suggest 1995 and newer KDX200's. They are reliable as any dirt bike made, simple to work on, inexpensive to purchase and own, and competitive at all but maybe the top levels.
    Other than the KDX's, I like mid-90's Honda CR's (125/250/500). They are very well made, and they hold up well.
    If you really must get a 4 stroke, I suggest a DR350. Yamaha TTR's, and Honda XR's are not bad either.

Some of the more modern twostrokes have more low and midrange than the 4 strokes and they are cheaper and easier to maintain and run. For example a ktm 300 with a Gnarly pipe will pull your arms off. There are basically 2 style of dirt bike, trails and MX. If you see yourself going to an MX track then go with a jap cr/YZ/rm/kx. If you plan to ride trails exclusively then KTM has the market on lock. The 200exc or xc/w have a more mild but punchy motor with all the big boy suspension bits. I wish I bought one when I started. Some other you can find plated too. What's your budget?

It's addictive!

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

My buddy picked up a Honda crf 250x this spring, nice little reliable bike.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. I had a YZ125. It was a great bike but you had to stay on top of it or you were sad. You had to ride it. If you can ride one of those quickly through the woods then youre riding something.

Ive moved on to a CRF250. Its a lazy mans bike compared to the 125. So much easier to ride. Its a ton of fun and I dont typically feel beat up like I did with the 125. I have it for sale if youre interested.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-2007-CRF-250R

James

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...a-TC250-Extras (4 stroke very well maintained sexy ass dirtbike)

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-sale-or-trade (2 stroke very well maintained sexy ass dirtbike)

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...20R-Woods-Bike (Go to the end of this thread as this bike is back up for sale, 2 stroke very reliable woods bike, a little older but still extremely capable )

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's mostly already been said, but if like to make one smidge of a correction to smutty's post. Modern 2 strokes often require less maintenance than most modern MX type 4t motors.
    However a play bike 4t will require almost zero maintenance, and still teach you plenty.
    As a road racer, I think you've got enough throttle control and brake prowess to get around the track safely...I'm guessing you want to feel a little more comfy with the bike sliding and squirming around under you so you can push harder (while doing so safer) on the track.
    If that's the case: any bike Joel posted would work, just different flavors.

Establish a budget.
    Get an idea of what kind of riding you'll be doing.
    Enjoy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Gino is selling a Kawasaki KDX220 No better woods weapon in my mind. Light, fast and nimble. Wish I never sold mine.
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ods-Bike/page2

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

As a road racer, I think you've got enough throttle control and brake prowess to get around the track safely...I'm guessing you want to feel a little more comfy with the bike sliding and squirming around under you so you can push harder (while doing so safer) on the track.
    If that's the case: any bike Joel posted would work, just different flavors.

Establish a budget.
    Get an idea of what kind of riding you'll be doing.
    Enjoy.
    That is the idea, I want to be comfortable with the bike sliding and get more used to controlling it at the limit. More the front, I never slide the front unless I'm crashing, I came from the R1 racebike to my SS SV, I don't get much rear slide anymore and what I do get I can handle easily.
    I also want to be in better shape, so to some degree I don't want something SUPER easy to ride. If I'm muscling and using body English to ride it, I'll be in better physical shape come race season, I think. Sound right? So medium to ride, goldilocks difficulty.

My budget, under 2K, the further under the better.

Type of riding, I have no idea. I live in Brighton, I'll have to drive to ride no matter what. Suggestions? I don't really want to smash myself up on MX jumps, I have broken enough bones road racing to last a lifetime.

Last edited by MarkMarine; 09-25-13 at 08:37 AM.

Yes! Potential new riding friend.

I have trails for days just north of the city. Get a bike and we'll get after it.

I may have a potential read on a MINT kdx220 and maybe an xr400. I just need to see if my friends are selling.

As for my input. A KDX is an amazing woods bike. I rode my YZ250 in the woods. It was hard, but when you get it right its unreal and the amount of power on tap is insane.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 09-25-13 at 08:42 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Then Gino's kdx would be my pick of readily available cheap bikes, providing its sprung for a normal sized human, and not a 90# girl like stock.

Edit: yes, Gino's kdx. It'll run forever, is well set up, and cheap. Plus, blue smoke smells so fucking good.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-25-13 at 08:41 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    For skills development, playbikes are better IMO. You can actually push them passed their limit, which is where the learning happens. An actually MX bike, well, yeah, you're not gonna pass it's limits in this lifetime.
    Maybe a mx 85 then?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

hmm, how about an '09 Husky WR165? light, awesome grunt, simple to maintain.

EDIT: oops, didn't see the under 2K requirement. ignore my post but... these are crazy fun little bikes.

Last edited by typeone; 09-25-13 at 09:24 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

The KDX's rear spring is usually fine for most people under, say, 220 lbs or so. The fork springs are a very soft .35 kg.mm. XR400 springs drop right in and are either .39's or .40's depending on the year. They can usually be found for free, and will balance the bike much more. .44's would be better, but they will cost you $120. The 200 responds well to the FMF "Woods" pipe, or the Pro Circuit pipe. The 220 requires the FMF "Desert" pipe to run its best. The 220 also has the grenading stock piston, so make sure that it has been replaced with a Wiseco.
    Older "E" series KDX's have better low end power, but the sub-valves snap off with some regularity if the power valve system is not kept very clean. They are also a bit wider, and have super soft seats.
    All of the KDX's are fine trail machines. They are very nimble and light in the tight trails, with enough low end power to pull you out of the snotty stuff, and enough top end power to keep things from getting dull when the trail opens up.
    I like KDX200's, and I am not a tall guy (5' 7" - 30" inseam). Removing the tail bag makes slinging your leg over the seat much easier. My current KTM 350 is a much sharper edged machine, but not nearly as user friendly as the KDX's.
    KDX 200's are still very popular at NETRA events. That alone says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Gino is selling a Kawasaki KDX220 No better woods weapon in my mind. Light, fast and nimble. Wish I never sold mine.
    It looks like that bike is sold, is that the one you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hmm, how about an '09 Husky WR165? light, awesome grunt, simple to maintain.

EDIT: oops, didn't see the under 2K requirement. ignore my post but... these are crazy fun little bikes.
    You're selling the 165 too?!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yes! Potential new riding friend.

I have trails for days just north of the city. Get a bike and we'll get after it.

I may have a potential read on a MINT kdx220 and maybe an xr400. I just need to see if my friends are selling.

As for my input. A KDX is an amazing woods bike. I rode my YZ250 in the woods. It was hard, but when you get it right its unreal and the amount of power on tap is insane.
    Thanks Jay, let me know, and I'd love to go ride with you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You're selling the 165 too?!
    and you, stop hijacking my thread. This was actually on-topic and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    The KDX's rear spring is usually fine for most people under, say, 220 lbs or so. The fork springs are a very soft .35 kg.mm. XR400 springs drop right in and are either .39's or .40's depending on the year. They can usually be found for free, and will balance the bike much more. .44's would be better, but they will cost you $120. The 200 responds well to the FMF "Woods" pipe, or the Pro Circuit pipe. The 220 requires the FMF "Desert" pipe to run its best. The 220 also has the grenading stock piston, so make sure that it has been replaced with a Wiseco.
    Older "E" series KDX's have better low end power, but the sub-valves snap off with some regularity if the power valve system is not kept very clean. They are also a bit wider, and have super soft seats.
    All of the KDX's are fine trail machines. They are very nimble and light in the tight trails, with enough low end power to pull you out of the snotty stuff, and enough top end power to keep things from getting dull when the trail opens up.
    I like KDX200's, and I am not a tall guy (5' 7" - 30" inseam). Removing the tail bag makes slinging your leg over the seat much easier. My current KTM 350 is a much sharper edged machine, but not nearly as user friendly as the KDX's.
    KDX 200's are still very popular at NETRA events. That alone says a lot.
    What are the year ranges for "E" series and such? How do I tell these bikes apart?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    It looks like that bike is sold, is that the one you're talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...a-TC250-Extras (4 stroke very well maintained sexy ass dirtbike)

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-sale-or-trade (2 stroke very well maintained sexy ass dirtbike)

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...20R-Woods-Bike (Go to the end of this thread as this bike is back up for sale, 2 stroke very reliable woods bike, a little older but still extremely capable )
    The bike Sheppo mentioned is the same as the last of the three I mentioned and it is up for sale again if you go to the end of the thread, see post #41 in that thread. Unless of course the cryptic messages after that mean it is sold but I don't think so. Wouldn't hurt to ask Gino and find out for sure. nt650hawk is his screen name.

Joel

Last edited by tls25rs; 09-25-13 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Maybe a mx 85 then?
    That's too much bike. Those things are lightswitches!

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast