Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good bike for off season skills, experienced racer but not a dirt rider

Re: Good bike for off season skills, experienced racer but not a dirt rider

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    Jay has a post about this, they seem keep the nearby areas close to the vest so I doubt you'll get it posted in open forums, but you can arrange to go on a ride with them (us? Prob only counts once I actually own the bike)
    Clearly understandable. If/when the time times I'll be begging and pleading for more info.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have to thank you guys. The KDX220 was AWESOME. Great recommendation, I'm so happy with the bike!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

If it doesn't already have one, an aftermarket pipe will really wake that bike up. FWIW - The FMF "desert" pipe is recommended for the 220 (not the "woods" pipe). Removal of the air box cover is also recommended. After that, a RAD valve, or a V-Force reed cage will give you all of the "snap" you can stand.

It's got a pipe on it, it says "gnarly" but I'm not sure if it's the desert one.

It is actually pretty controllable right now, I'm sure a two sport purist would hate listening to me learn on it because I'm not on the pipe all that much, but when I am it's got some go!

Honestly, it's like relearning how to ride, I wAs so focused I forgot how to shift, was looking at the rocks right in front of my tire, etc. through the ride I already picked up a lot, so I'll get comfy enough to put it in the power band and keep it there soon enough.

Gnarly is the woods pipe. I had one on my 200.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I had the gnarly as well . It's a great pipe for that bike .

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Good bike for off season skills, experienced racer but not a dirt rider

At this point I suck so bad, I am just going to ride the thing. I used the pipe like 4-5 times in 3:30 of riding, I don't need any extra power. I need some more gear though, so I'll definitely be looking for that.

What is the dirt bike forum you guys frequent? "Born" or something? Gonna be on the lookout for used gear

Last edited by MarkMarine; 10-13-13 at 08:30 AM.

At this point I suck so bad, I am just going to ride the thing. I used the pipe like 4-5 times in 3:30 of riding, I don't need any extra power. I need some more gear though, so I'll definitely be looking for that.

What is the dirt bike forum you guys frequent? "Born" or something? Gonna be on the lookout for used gear
    BoRn is the CT based street riding forum. You are looking for NEDB. www.nedirtbikes.com/content

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    BoRn is the CT based street riding forum. You are looking for NEDB. www.nedirtbikes.com/content
    I checked there when I was looking around the internets, but that forum is almost laughably empty. There must be somewhere else.

I checked there when I was looking around the internets, but that forum is almost laughably empty. There must be somewhere else.
    Negative. Not that I know of. Only other place I would think to check is www.thumpertalk.com

Lifer

NEDB is the most current, and active dirt bike site for this area. There are other generic sites (Thumpertalk, ADVrider, Dirtrider.net, etc.) and bike/brand specific sites (KDXrider.net, KTMtalk, etc.).
    ADVrider is huge, but you can find relevant information and conversation there if you stay and participate long enough.

There's a Boston/Cambridge d/s thread in the adv regional forum that's mostly full of dirty basstids.
    Nedb isn't really laughably empty, most content is only viewable by members. So if you aren't registered it might appear so.
    What kind of gear do you need/sizes?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There's a Boston/Cambridge d/s thread in the adv regional forum that's mostly full of dirty basstids.
    Nedb isn't really laughably empty, most content is only viewable by members. So if you aren't registered it might appear so.
    What kind of gear do you need/sizes?
    Maybe it's the membership thing, I'll test out being registered.
    I'm basically a medium in everything. I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs,
    Looking for:
    Elbow pads, knee pads, chest back protector (I think this is different than the roost protectors, but I'm not sure. Some looked like what I'd ride on the track) neck protector/brace.

Lifer

Besides boots, a helmet, goggles, and gloves, the next most important item in my book would be knee pads. A cheap $20 set from a sporting goods store will work just fine. A chest protector really doesn't do much, IMO. Knee pads and a hydration pack - both available for low cost - would be my advice to a newer dirt rider.

I don't have spares of anything you mentioned.

But let me suggest something like this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...llistic-Jersey

I wear something similar. It's pretty good. Sniff around their closeout section, and find one compatible with a brace too.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I have a hydration pack, bringing it next ride, I have the icon street knee pads, but they go lower than my boots and make the top of the boot hard to close, didn't seem comfy so I didn't wear them. I'll trade them if anyone's interested in them

What boots do you have?

What boots do you have?
    Alpinestars tech 3

Lifer

I would put your money into fresh tires, and UHD tubes. The KDX is one of the most competent and reliable machines ever made - as long as you take reasonable care of them. The 220's require a Wiseco piston, as previously mentioned. Stiffer fork springs, to balance the front suspension with the stiffer, stock rear spring would be the most important thing to me.
    You made a wise choice in your purchase of a KDX. Run good, name brand 2-stroke oil, change out your transmission oil once in a while, and ride, ride, ride.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I would put your money into fresh tires, and UHD tubes. The KDX is one of the most competent and reliable machines ever made - as long as you take reasonable care of them. The 220's require a Wiseco piston, as previously mentioned. Stiffer fork springs, to balance the front suspension with the stiffer, stock rear spring would be the most important thing to me.
    You made a wise choice in your purchase of a KDX. Run good, name brand 2-stroke oil, change out your transmission oil once in a while, and ride, ride, ride.
    I'm going to use my silkolene contingency money for the dirt bike oil, what would you guys consider good oil from them?

I'll get a new piston over the winter, re do the top end and replace the reeds, as to the suspension... Can you elaborate? The stock spring is stiffer and could benefit with "matched" front springs? I weigh 170. I wasn't going fast but really, the suspension surprised me as to what it would soak up. Going down some (of what I thought) was gnarly downhills the front was planted and tracked well.

Do you guys run normal bike oil in the tranny? There is no filter on it, correct? Is there a screen or magnet or something to clean out?

I'm going to use my silkolene contingency money for the dirt bike oil, what would you guys consider good oil from them?

I'll get a new piston over the winter, re do the top end and replace the reeds, as to the suspension... Can you elaborate? The stock spring is stiffer and could benefit with "matched" front springs? I weigh 170. I wasn't going fast but really, the suspension surprised me as to what it would soak up. Going down some (of what I thought) was gnarly downhills the front was planted and tracked well.

Do you guys run normal bike oil in the tranny? There is no filter on it, correct? Is there a screen or magnet or something to clean out?
    Use a 75-80wt gear oil in the tranny. There is no filter in there or screen. Just drain and replace. And after you ride someone elses bike or upgrade your front forks you will see how the stock boingers could use a little massaging with springs and valving potentially. Start with springs.

Use a 75-80wt gear oil in the tranny. There is no filter in there or screen. Just drain and replace. And after you ride someone elses bike or upgrade your front forks you will see how the stock boingers could use a little massaging with springs and valving potentially. Start with springs.
    Gear oil is good for a wet plate clutch?

Gear oil is good for a wet plate clutch?
    Yup. And a crap or dirty tranny fluid will shift like crap too and will make it a pita to kick over in gear with the clutch in. I love this stuff. Has never let me down and shifts awesome.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-gear-s...ansmission-oil

Lifer

Any stock "H" series KDX (200 or 220) is very unbalanced. The rear shock spring is good for riders up to about 180 Lbs. The fork springs are very soft - fit only for riders around 110-120 lbs. "Matching" the forks to the rear shock - in spring rates - will "balance" the bike much better. The stock fork springs are .35 kg/mm. You should be looking for at least .40 kg/mm fork springs. .42-.45 is what most riders end up with.
    FWIW - Fork springs from any XR400 will drop right in your KDX fork tubes, with no mods. In 1998, XR400 fork springs were .39kg/mm. In 2000, they went to .40kg/mm, but can hardly feel any difference between them.
    The bike will ride and handle much better once you balance the bike out a bit.
    JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Any stock "H" series KDX (200 or 220) is very unbalanced. The rear shock spring is good for riders up to about 180 Lbs. The fork springs are very soft - fit only for riders around 110-120 lbs. "Matching" the forks to the rear shock - in spring rates - will "balance" the bike much better. The stock fork springs are .35 kg/mm. You should be looking for at least .40 kg/mm fork springs. .42-.45 is what most riders end up with.
    FWIW - Fork springs from any XR400 will drop right in your KDX fork tubes, with no mods. In 1998, XR400 fork springs were .39kg/mm. In 2000, they went to .40kg/mm, but can hardly feel any difference between them.
    The bike will ride and handle much better once you balance the bike out a bit.
    JMO.
    Awesome. Thank you for the advice. I'll find a set of those XR springs to drop in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast