Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BLIZZARDCROSS!!! February 19th Hemonds MX Minot, ME!!!

Re: BLIZZARDCROSS!!! February 19th Hemonds MX Minot, ME!!!

the kids track is nearly as bad as the adult track...but they're killing it!

but man that kid is more fun than he knows he's having. So cool to see a group of kids out there having good ole fashioned sketchy fun on bikes. Memories for life.

Trailer setup is legit too. We gotta make a dirty thread about setups at some point...trailers...trucks...hitch carriers...camp gear storage, etc.

you guys ever try a stab at ice? any lakes or ponds near you?

I tried a little bit of snow riding (on straight knobbies) this week as we had newsworthy snow fall in SoCal in elevation:

and I was reminded how much it sucks. Such little traction up front made it hard to steer, the bike kept sliding into ruts (which were the worse lines), and the tires *need* to stay upright or the bike wants to lay on its side. I know, studs can help, but the issue with trail riding is that you can encounter a variety of terrain in the same ride ranging from frozen ground (where studs are best), to hard pack snow (where longer studs are better), to fresh/deep powder (where a studded paddle tire in the rear will get you the most traction). One single tire setup doesn't cover them all that well.

that's why I'm thinking ice "is the the way". Consistent terrain. Dedicated ice tires. Plenty of traction. Crazy fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-04-23 at 02:56 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Attachment 59020

This is what it literally looks like right now, you tell me.

As for the videos, we are 2-3 year amateurs so do t get too excited, but we finish, we generally dont get hurt, amd we have fun!
    Ohhhhhh there's your problem!

That guy is not seated at all!

If you push the rim lock stud with your hand can you get it to move at all with the nut loose (make sure you let the air out of the tube before you try this)? Sometimes the rim lock will get trapped under the tire and will be pinched between the rim and tire. This will keep the tire from seating on the bead. To get the rim lock to cooperate you might have to take one side of the tire off so you can push the rim lock up into the tire. Then you can put that side of the tire back on it won't be pinched anymore.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I agree with smutty, that isn’t seated at all by looking at the picture. I’m surprised you were even able to get the thing mounted over the rim lock like that. Are there 2 rim locks? I thought the KTM 19” rears had 2 rim locks.

I usually back off the lock nut until there are only 3-4 threads holding it on, then push it inside. I used to always also start at the rim lock with mounting the new tire. The double rim lock sometimes made that a bit tricky, but still worked

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    the kids track is nearly as bad as the adult track...but they're killing it!

but man that kid is more fun than he knows he's having. So cool to see a group of kids out there having good ole fashioned sketchy fun on bikes. Memories for life.

Trailer setup is legit too. We gotta make a dirty thread about setups at some point...trailers...trucks...hitch carriers...camp gear storage, etc.

you guys ever try a stab at ice? any lakes or ponds near you?

I tried a little bit of snow riding (on straight knobbies) this week as we had newsworthy snow fall in SoCal in elevation:

and I was reminded how much it sucks. Such little traction up front made it hard to steer, the bike kept sliding into ruts (which were the worse lines), and the tires *need* to stay upright or the bike wants to lay on its side. I know, studs can help, but the issue with trail riding is that you can encounter a variety of terrain in the same ride ranging from frozen ground (where studs are best), to hard pack snow (where longer studs are better), to fresh/deep powder (where a studded paddle tire in the rear will get you the most traction). One single tire setup doesn't cover them all that well.

that's why I'm thinking ice "is the the way". Consistent terrain. Dedicated ice tires. Plenty of traction. Crazy fun.
    There wasn't really a kids track and an adult track, the kids just stayed on the MX course and the adults had an added woods section.

We have a ton of lakes and ponds around us, I was out on the lake just a few weeks ago.

Thats badass you got out in the snow some!! I agree, rear traction isn't much of an issue, it is the washy front that makes it so hard!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Ohhhhhh there's your problem!

That guy is not seated at all!

If you push the rim lock stud with your hand can you get it to move at all with the nut loose (make sure you let the air out of the tube before you try this)? Sometimes the rim lock will get trapped under the tire and will be pinched between the rim and tire. This will keep the tire from seating on the bead. To get the rim lock to cooperate you might have to take one side of the tire off so you can push the rim lock up into the tire. Then you can put that side of the tire back on it won't be pinched anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I agree with smutty, that isn’t seated at all by looking at the picture. I’m surprised you were even able to get the thing mounted over the rim lock like that. Are there 2 rim locks? I thought the KTM 19” rears had 2 rim locks.

I usually back off the lock nut until there are only 3-4 threads holding it on, then push it inside. I used to always also start at the rim lock with mounting the new tire. The double rim lock sometimes made that a bit tricky, but still worked
    You guys are missing the point a bit, this pic is the after, not the before. I have had the tire completely off the rim a few times now and re installed, with the rim lock installed correctly. The picture is what it looks like after I ride for an hour. It has done this three times now. The tire is on the rim and seated, but after I ride, the tire eventually slips by the lip and eventually the tube starts puking out.

it only has one rim lock, and I start installing at the rim lock as well. I pump it up to like 50 psi to seat it, then deflate down to 14psi. It looks good when I do it, but for some reason it shifts and comes off.

Last edited by xrocket21; 03-05-23 at 09:40 AM.

so rad! tons of year round riding for ya

I had to google the bead thing - a TT thread suggested there are metal cords in the tire which are broken (is this true? idk); which means the bead is broken. You might just need another tire

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    so rad! tons of year round riding for ya

I had to google the bead thing - a TT thread suggested there are metal cords in the tire which are broken (is this true? idk); which means the bead is broken. You might just need another tire
    Totally removed, cleaned, new rim lock, new tube, and within 10 min it is coming off again. Last ditch effort im gonna try to put the bad spot at the rim lock, if that doesnt work, shes done.

"the bad spot" ? is the tire/bead shagged ? sounds like i'm being a dick but it's not a 19" tire on an 18" rim, right? (half joke)

but seriously, that is some weird shit. how is the condition of the rim itself on the inside? all smooth and worn or does it have any bite/knurling present for the tire bead to grab onto? if smooth maybe create a bit of friction with some patterning in the metal (?) rim looks pretty new though.

what sort of lube do you use during install? anything that stays greasy or do you use product that tacks up?

on the two rim locks, doesn't seem that would solve it since looks to be very specific in location ... which makes me think rim more than tire, especially if you haven't mounted the tire in the exact same position each time.

Beta 200RR

Totally removed, cleaned, new rim lock, new tube, and within 10 min it is coming off again. Last ditch effort im gonna try to put the bad spot at the rim lock, if that doesnt work, shes done.
    Sorry to hear this thing isn’t working; I’ve never heard of this issue with this tire or any other one. Is it possible the bead has been broken as suggested above? Does it mount easier than it did before? Has it become “too easy” to mount (As if the bead isn’t continuous any more)?

I’m bummed…I rarely sell anything and now I sell a seemingly indestructible item and it’s not working. Did it work properly for a period, and then start coming off?

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    "the bad spot" ? is the tire/bead shagged ? sounds like i'm being a dick but it's not a 19" tire on an 18" rim, right? (half joke)

but seriously, that is some weird shit. how is the condition of the rim itself on the inside? all smooth and worn or does it have any bite/knurling present for the tire bead to grab onto? if smooth maybe create a bit of friction with some patterning in the metal (?) rim looks pretty new though.

what sort of lube do you use during install? anything that stays greasy or do you use product that tacks up?

on the two rim locks, doesn't seem that would solve it since looks to be very specific in location ... which makes me think rim more than tire, especially if you haven't mounted the tire in the exact same position each time.
    No, it isn't a 19" tire on an 18" rim lol. One side always hold fine, which leads me to believe its a tire issue. Ive got a few rides on it, and the winter season is short so it wouldbe nice if I could just make it work somehow. I used to use soapy water, but I bought some official tire lube from amazon. The rim and the knurling look fine. I think the cords in the bead may be broken in that spot.

No, it isn't a 19" tire on an 18" rim lol. One side always hold fine, which leads me to believe its a tire issue. Ive got a few rides on it, and the winter season is short so it wouldbe nice if I could just make it work somehow. I used to use soapy water, but I bought some official tire lube from amazon. The rim and the knurling look fine. I think the cords in the bead may be broken in that spot.
    still curious if you keep mounting in the EXACT way though? seems odd to blow out just left of the rim lock each time ... when looking from the disc/right side.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    still curious if you keep mounting in the EXACT way though? seems odd to blow out just left of the rim lock each time ... when looking from the disc/right side.
    This time it blew out in a new spot, leading me to believe it is the tire. A smart man would have marked the suspected bad spot weeks ago.

This time it blew out in a new spot, leading me to believe it is the tire. A smart man would have marked the suspected bad spot weeks ago.
    WILD.

Beta 200RR

It keeps popping off at the rim lock. Maybe I'm tightening it too much? I don't know. No shade to Imbeek, he's a stand up guy and they are 13 year old tires. I just wanna fix it so it stops doing it.

It does this:

Edit: ill try an aftermarket rim lock
    In that photograph, It looks like the tire has a torn spot on the bead, just above the nine o’clock position if the wheel was a clock face. I know you haven’t asked for this, and I appreciate that, but If you think it was defective when received, I will happily refund.

I don’t recall seeing any damage to the tire like what appears in the photo, when I sent it, and I do think it’s possible to break the bead from using too much leverage while mounting, (especially on an old, stiff tire in the cold of winter) but I don’t know what it was like for you mounting it the first time. If it slipped right on super easily, it was probably already broken and I owe you money and an apology…if you had to use a ton of force, maybe that broke it, or maybe you hit something frozen with the sidewall that damaged it, or the rim lock did it somehow. I don’t know, can normal riding do that to a wicked old tire?

Personally, I’d try putting that spot on the tire right under the rim lock at this point if you are still trying to make it work to get thru this winter, along with less pressure…I never run more than 12 psi on dirt bikes. And no more flat landings off huge triples (LOLj/k)

Anyway, let me know what you wanna do. I feel bad that it hasn’t worked perfectly. I don’t need or want anyone’s money from selling things if they were defective.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    In that photograph, It looks like the tire has a torn spot on the bead, just above the nine o’clock position if the wheel was a clock face. I know you haven’t asked for this, and I appreciate that, but If you think it was defective when received, I will happily refund.

I don’t recall seeing any damage to the tire like what appears in the photo, when I sent it, and I do think it’s possible to break the bead from using too much leverage while mounting, (especially on an old, stiff tire in the cold of winter) but I don’t know what it was like for you mounting it the first time. If it slipped right on super easily, it was probably already broken and I owe you money and an apology…if you had to use a ton of force, maybe that broke it, or maybe you hit something frozen with the sidewall that damaged it, or the rim lock did it somehow. I don’t know, can normal riding do that to a wicked old tire?

Personally, I’d try putting that spot on the tire right under the rim lock at this point if you are still trying to make it work to get thru this winter, along with less pressure…I never run more than 12 psi on dirt bikes. And no more flat landings off huge triples (LOLj/k)

Anyway, let me know what you wanna do. I feel bad that it hasn’t worked perfectly. I don’t need or want anyone’s money from selling things if they were defective.
    110% don't feel bad. I have zero thoughts that you were out to screw me over, and I am not sure if it came this way or was something I did. The tire was old time wise, but looks to have very low usage on it. I don't think I had any issues mounting it the first time, I have all kinds of fancy tools now that make it pretty easy. I in no way am I asking for or expecting a refund. I'm just talking out loud to get opinions on what/if I am doing anything wrong. The is a small cut there ,but it looks superficial to me.

I agree, I am going to try putting that spot under the rim lock next time I have a chance.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Sorry to hear this thing isn’t working; I’ve never heard of this issue with this tire or any other one. Is it possible the bead has been broken as suggested above? Does it mount easier than it did before? Has it become “too easy” to mount (As if the bead isn’t continuous any more)?

I’m bummed…I rarely sell anything and now I sell a seemingly indestructible item and it’s not working. Did it work properly for a period, and then start coming off?
    I missed this post before somehow. It has done it the whole time really. I havent got that many rides on it, but it seems to do it every ride.

But, I mean I pulled off a 30 min moto and a 15 minute moto in pretty rough conditions and it was just letting go at the end.

I have high hopes putting the bad spot at the rim lock will help.

Winter is almost over anyway, Southwick is less than 2 months away!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ok; good luck with the re-orientation of the tire and with the racing at the Wick!

Does the rim have another hole 180 from the rim lock you’re using? If there is (should have a little rubber plug in it), try adding a second rim lock?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Does the rim have another hole 180 from the rim lock you’re using? If there is (should have a little rubber plug in it), try adding a second rim lock?
    Nope, no room for a second rim lock.

Can you just drill a hole? Ive seen wheels with double rim locks before.

Nope, no room for a second rim lock.

Can you just drill a hole? Ive seen wheels with double rim locks before.
    I would think yes, you could drill another hole.
    I just looked at my 450FX rear wheel, it has a little rubber plug opposed side of the rim lock for a second rim lock..It is an 18” wheel tho.

Yamaha

you can drill for another rimlock no problem, just make it opposite side, clean and deburr well.

Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12