Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Got small-bore smoker? CHECK!

Re: Got small-bore smoker? CHECK!

so the title nor the frame have anything that says 'for off-road use only'... hmmm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    so the title nor the frame have anything that says 'for off-road use only'... hmmm
    duuude

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    duuude
    that's what i'm sayin'

Beta 200RR

They don't need to now, most states are setup to flag non-street vehicles via VIN alone...

Only if it has the shorter "for offroad use only" VIN... KTM and huskys have the correct number of digits and can be plated.

Paul_E_D

If I had a 125 or 250 plated I would have to go to the doctor for a boner that would not go down.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    If I had a 125 or 250 plated I would have to go to the doctor for a boner that would not go down.
    They just tell you there's nothing they can do...wait, I heard someone say they were told nothing can be done...Ok, I give up

Nice bike Clinton, it looks small and light Now try and get the plate for it

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    They don't need to now, most states are setup to flag non-street vehicles via VIN alone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Only if it has the shorter "for offroad use only" VIN... KTM and huskys have the correct number of digits and can be plated.
    17 digit VIN we'll see.. .

Beta 200RR

Lifer

My current KDX200 is street plated and inspected in MA. I have had street plated CR's (125/250/500), KTM's, Husky's, and XR's. It can be done.

gregp, since you're in MA too... what's the 'hardest' part of the reg process? i'm not in any rush, i've got tons of work to do on the bike and will still renew my yellow plate first since that's all easy and cheap.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

In all honesty, the hardest part is the inspection process. In terms of the registration process, the key is having a firm starting point paperwork wise - whether that is a clean title from another state, or a current registration from another title-less state - it is the key to a smooth transition to MA. I suspect that with your Husky, you will have no problems whatsoever, until you get to the inspection process.
    I have found insurance agents that are really good at getting my off-road bikes established. Some agents will not even bother trying, and some will go the extra mile for you. In general, they are good people, and I reward them when they do something good for me. They remember that!

Lifer

The "official" DMV way to get an untitled MC registered is to complete all of the modifications required, and then bring it to the registry or a Police Station and have an officer sign off a form (title application?) from the registry. This process is designed and used for "home-built" and custom motorcycles and cars. I have never had to do this, but I know that this process exists here in MA.

Lifer

My 2004 KDX200 is a *great* trail bike, that suites my purposes wonderfully. As a Dual-Sport machine, it has its limitations. It does not like pavement very much as the motor is revving fairly high at modest street speeds. My work commute is a whopping 3 miles long, so it is great for squeezing in a little recreation before and after work. I have come to work with mud up to my knees before. That makes for an uncomfortable day - especially if the Executive Conference Room smells like swamp when I leave...

great info, thanks... the title is clean, paper is even crisp/new and straight from a dealer in another state (IL). PO worked for the dealership and had a small lien left to pay before i bought it so it never left the dealers files. the title looks just like any other road bike i've bought. no mentioned of off-road anything, just that it's a 125cc machine.

inspection has me wondering, my SXV raised some eyebrows for stupid stuff but they passed me anyway. this from a dealership who isn't out to put the screws to you and i've used them many times before. hmmm. might be tough.

insurance agent wise, my contact is really cool. wonder how she would deal with this situation though. shes fun to talk to but knows too much about my past, gives me shit about speeding all the time

well, i guess the initial hurdle is cake, the rest... we'll see.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Unfortunately, I can offer no advice in terms of short cutting the inspection process. I have rigged up 2- 9v batteries wired in series, to power all non-essential items long enough to get through the process. I have also soldered up 10 AA rechargable batteries to do the same thing. It doesn't really matter what you do after the sticker is on your plate, as long as you keep your intended use in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    My 2004 KDX200 is a *great* trail bike, that suites my purposes wonderfully. As a Dual-Sport machine, it has its limitations. It does not like pavement very much as the motor is revving fairly high at modest street speeds. My work commute is a whopping 3 miles long, so it is great for squeezing in a little recreation before and after work. I have come to work with mud up to my knees before. That makes for an uncomfortable day - especially if the Executive Conference Room smells like swamp when I leave...

hahaa, nice i wouldnt want to hit any pavement with this bike except to patch trails or enjoy spots that require a full reg. otherwise, it's strictly dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Unfortunately, I can offer no advice in terms of short cutting the inspection process. I have rigged up 2- 9v batteries wired in series, to power all non-essential items long enough to get through the process. I have also soldered up 10 AA rechargable batteries to do the same thing. It doesn't really matter what you do after the sticker is on your plate, as long as you keep your intended use in mind.
    no problem. i think i have a few options with this bike by swapping parts from other models but need to look into it more. i'm just thinking of a full reg as a 'real nice to have'... definitely won't bum me out any if i cant get through the whole process. sure would be sweet though

Beta 200RR

I would serously stick my cock in it!!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

my silencer does not need a repack... yet

Beta 200RR

But it does need a plug...

Paul_E_D

it does.

man, just finished ordering a sweet laundry-list-of-Fabulous for the little tyke goes a little something like this...

rest of 144 kit (piston, ring, gasket, bearing, pin, o-rings), Motosportz disk guards F+R, Motosportz front axle nut (the stock huge allen is lame, TC has it too), red anodized oil plug (cheap bling!), P3 carbon pipe guard, IMS 2.8gal tank, Moose brake snake... and Ron at RBD is awaiting my 3 solder tests for squish + head, and the carb for mods. phew!

last items i need are steering and linkage bearings for the TC...

Beta 200RR

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Sounds like you'll go through the RMV no issue, your concern is inspection. I've never had an inspection issue a 50 couldn't fix, food for thought. Actually there was one, but it was a legit safety concern (snapped tie rod on a truck) and the dude didn't want me driving it like that for safety issues. I get that. Aside from that, some greenbacks aka simoleans in the palm and a handshake fixed most issues.

no problem. i think i have a few options with this bike by swapping parts from other models but need to look into it more. i'm just thinking of a full reg as a 'real nice to have'... definitely won't bum me out any if i cant get through the whole process. sure would be sweet though
    I might have some parts...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-15-11 at 10:38 PM.

wow, really appreciate that breakdirt! i have a box of stuff that came with the bike that i haven't had time to dig into yet. needed to leave town immediately after it arrived...

i know i have a tail light kit and the headlight is already wired up and working. the stock headlight has provisions for signals and the enduro computer is hooked up as well.

again, really appreciate the offer as that kit sounds really sweet, but i may have a bunch of stock options i can hobble together. the exhaust and tires are an interesting point. the bike has brand new Michelin Enduro Competition tires on it, these are FIM legal tires... not sure how that works with DOT but i know the knobs are regulated to a certain height, etc. so they might be pretty damn close.

i have so much shit to do to the bike that i want to get through my entire mod list before worrying about the street reg. none of it takes away from the bigger picture but will require some time to strip down then build back up.

i'll keep you guys posted on which way i go when the time comes. really appreciate all the input. once this thing is set up the way i want, it would be so badass to have a real plate on it.

in due time

Last edited by typeone; 02-15-11 at 10:11 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

In my experience, the inspectors will actually look for the DOT symbol on the sidewall if the tires look "offroad" at all. I usually circle it with a soapstone to make finding it easier for them. The Kenda K-760 is a good DOT off road oriented rear tire, and the Pirelli MT-16 front is a good universal knobby that is also DOT. Both will be better than any FIM legal tires.

Buy a set of DOT tires and sppon em on for inspection then get it home and spoon on a real tire.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast