Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Got small-bore smoker? CHECK!

Re: Got small-bore smoker? CHECK!

yeah, i'm wondering about the FIM legal tires now. starting to sound like those need to go. bummer. they're brand new.

haha, nice edit, breakdirt

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Everyone's telling me the Pirelli MT16 and Kenda Trackmaster 2 rears are GREAT in NE woods, and both are DOT legal and supposedly wear like iron. The Trackmaster 2 front is to be avoided like the plague, the MT16 works decent but many prefer the Bridgestone M59 front now but it's not DOT legal and wears faster...

Damnit, I've been reading too many tire threads...

^ hah! i just said to myself, fuck, i dont want to start reading tire threads...

been so happy with the Pirelli MXMS on the TC everywhere i just keep buying them. but this bike will see way more rocks/roots.

i might try some MotoZ tires out. the Husky shop i get stuff from stocks, sells and swears by them. sound like really interesting tires but i need to see if our NE conditions are a good match. pricing is decent.

DOT legal, hmmm. really starting to think road reg + inspection is gonna be a pain... for now. i like R7's post best so far

Beta 200RR

forgot to say... yes, MT18/MT16 combo is possibly on the list too.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Buy a set of DOT tires and sppon em on for inspection then get it home and spoon on a real tire.

KB
    I have long passed spooning tires on and off just for inspection purposes. These days, there are plenty of DOT tires that work just fine in the woods. Unless you are an A or AA rider racing for series points, it really isn't worth doing, IMO.
    My KDX was purchased with Michelin AC-10's mounted on it, but they did not grip well at all. This may have been because they appeared to be old and very hard. I swapped them out for the Kenda/Pirelli combo and never looked back.
    I do try to run Bridgestone Ultra-Heavy-Duty tubes, though. I have not had a flat tire in many years. These tubes are the next best thing to the Tub-liss sytem, or tire balls. Some pro's do not like the UHD tubes because they are heavy. I find that they actually give a better feel in the rocks with lower pressures.

Lifer

Older Husky 125's were not known to be power-houses, compared to their Japanese counterparts, so I am curious to hear from you on how your new one stacks up against a current YZ or KTM power-wise.
    I love 125's! and I have always liked the Husqvarna's, although I have only owned 1 (1998 TE-410).

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Unless you are an A or AA rider racing for series points, it really isn't worth doing, IMO.
    uh, that's a negative

yes, HD tubes will be going in if they're not already there. forgot to ask the PO what tubes he used. think my local shop stocks the Moose HD tubes, i put a set on the TC.

Beta 200RR

Older Husky 125's were not known to be power-houses, compared to their Japanese counterparts, so I am curious to hear from you on how your new one stacks up against a current YZ or KTM power-wise.
    I love 125's! and I have always liked the Husqvarna's, although I have only owned 1 (1998 TE-410).
    i'm finding out, as are many WR125 owners, that the heavy flywheel, small motor and mellow analog ignition of the WR causes a lot of the jetting issues and 'down on power' and 'mid-range boggy' feedback. the hot ticket in dev now is swapping to a CR digital ignition for way more hit and much easier jetting. i'm not going that far right now.

having said that... last months Trail Bike Magazine (UK) had a shootout between the WR150 (144cc), TM144 and KTM 150 XC and gave the win to the WR. they liked the strong engine, great brakes, responsive chassis and cheaper price. dyno showed 4HP more than the KTM.

as long as this thing can track well, i think the lower power output of the 144 will be perfect for my riding style and pace, which i have no clue how to categorize/label. i raced hare scrambles until college and can manage in the woods, but that was a looooong time ago

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Interesting. It sounds like Husky finally has competitive tiddlers now. You are not nearly as old as I am, so I sure you can get along just fine in the woods with that bike. It sure does look pretty!

It is the finest looking 125 I've ever seen. Looks like your back will get dirty with that lifted fender though. Oh well...

Paul_E_D

Thumbs up Re: Got small-bore smoker? CHECK!

I still love the smell of burnt racing fuel in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    forgot to say... yes, MT18/MT16 combo is possibly on the list too.
    That's what I'm running. Love'm.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Interesting. It sounds like Husky finally has competitive tiddlers now. You are not nearly as old as I am, so I sure you can get along just fine in the woods with that bike. It sure does look pretty!
    thanks. yeah, i'm real excited for Husky in 2011. big mgmt shakeup, innovative dirt bikes hitting the scene, lots of BMW cashish flowing. hope they make a comeback like the old days. my '07 TC250 has been rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It is the finest looking 125 I've ever seen. Looks like your back will get dirty with that lifted fender though. Oh well...
    i love the swept up fender, looks real modern to me, but most test riders hate it. read comments about boots getting snagged when swinging a leg over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    That's what I'm running. Love'm.
    nice. it's prob the combo i'll snag. too many good NE reviews to not try a set.

Beta 200RR

goodies are rollin' in just got the IMS oversized tank (looks nice!) and rest of big bore kit. i'll start a new thread with build pics when i get the guards and other stuff.

TIRES: what do you guys think about mildly siping the Michelin Enduro Comps i have on there now? i was thinking some slightly deeper sipes on the middle treads could help with wet rock and root traction without getting too squirmy in corners. there is already some very shallow siping on those tires. i'm trying to avoid another expense cause the tires are NEW. i'll measure the knob height compared to the new MXMS i picked up for the TC. may not even be that different from a true knobby (?)

Beta 200RR

I say shred what you got!

Paul_E_D

AMEN! being cooped up is making me batty...

think the carb divider plate, RM needle mod and custom PV grinding are the only other things i'll do then let'er rip for a season. (this is all dirt cheap stuff)

Husky heads are supposed to be much closer in tolerance than other euro bikes (so says Ron at RB). prob just skip the head work for now. i can get the 0.3mm base gasket (vs stock 0.5mm) to achieve the same squish as the head mod he does... just messes with the port timing a little but i hear the 0.3mm gasket has worked well for some cheap, added performance and still OK to use pump gas. ~$4 sounds good to me! custom PV grind will only cost me $10.

Last edited by typeone; 02-22-11 at 12:27 PM.
    Beta 200RR

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    does want...cr150

i saw that MXA post earlier too, so HAWT hope Husky gets some exposure in the big mags this year. pisses me off when they say KTM is the 'only mfg to offer small-bore two strokes'

Beta 200RR

so the 144 cylinder and power valves have been shipped off for mods and various base gaskets have been ordered for testing. rest of the stuff is here.

last item is the RBD carb mod... then i gotta put it all together.

Beta 200RR

nice!

LRRS #399
    MX #505

mmm, some sexy bling just showed up front + rear disk guards, oil cap and axle nut.

they threw in the axle wrench for free because the order was delayed, sweet bonus. no more trying to find the stupid allen nub you need to use with the stock front axle.

Beta 200RR

Whoa! sexy indeed! Nice job with the customization...and I'm feeling spring coming soon!

thanks. love how minimal the guards are, nice units. cant wait to see the P3 pipe guard, gonna be a work-of-carbon-art. 3 week wait while they make it though

Beta 200RR

while i have the camera out... IMS 2.8 gal oversized tank (stock is 1.8 gal), looks nice, cool that the cross-over line has a quick disconnect fitting. i read the stock lever-style petcock is too large so you need to drill out the hole in the tank a bit. didnt want to go that route so i ordered a screw-type petcock from the TXC 250.

Beta 200RR

niiice

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast