Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bought a WR250R Today

Lifer

Re: Bought a WR250R Today

The Scaggs rack is awesome - beautiful and well made. I have it on my crf250L. The Kawi made some changes to the suspension as well. It remains to be seen how much of a difference it would make. The stock kawi suspension supposedly was decent for the price point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I was out riding a week ago and decided to head over to HVD to check out the location. There were some riders by the entrance having a cookout so I asked for directions onto the trail. I didn't have a lot of time, but I had to check it out. I played around near the entrance for a few minutes, found a nice muddy spot in a trail, and wiped out trying to go through it. I hate mud. I also got hung up on a big root at the top of an incline and wiped up trying to power my way over it. Those stock Death Wings were pretty bad, but most of it was my fault. I was only planning on playing around for a few minutes so I didn't bother to air down. The bike handled the falls like a champ. I bent the hell out of the rear fender, but it bent right back into shape.

That pretty much sealed the deal. I took the wheels and tires into Flamingo and had them mounted. While I had them off I also went ahead and did the factory lowering on the rear to match up with the taller D606 tire. I also bought a speedo healer and installed that and the IMS tank. I took it to a trail along the Chicopee river today and played around there and in my woods a bit today. It's feeling much better now. I just need someone to show me some local trails. I know of two small trails near me, as well as some power lines, but I hate exploring alone. I'm always afraid I'm going to pull some newb maneuver and break my leg or something. Anyone want to teach me the the right way to ride?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a WR250R Today-img_1051-jpg  

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

HVD is a fantastic training ground. keep going back and explore the lower left as you enter from the main OHV parking area. more than happy to show you around some time when we're not busting out the reg loop.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

What size is the tank you got?

3 gallon. I would have preferred one of the bigger tanks, but those internal vacuum-powered pumps they have make me nervous. 3 gallons gives a pretty decent range and I plan to get a rack that can accommodate the Rotopax. PDI racing has them for about $210 and the install is pretty easy.

They get really good mileage so 3 gallons sounds perfect.

There is a gazillion post thread about WR250R’s on Advrider. It seems to be the state bike of Colorado, where the fuel injection helps with their high altitudes.

With the KLX 250 coming back with fuel injection, I'm really hoping the Japanese 650s get get it soon as well. I'd love to have a DR or XR with fuel injection, even if that's the only thing they change. Something I could go on long long 2-up adventure trips with my wife that could handle rougher roads than the more street oriented adventure bikes. I've always had a soft spot for those two bikes, but hate dealing with carbs.

Lifer

I had the D606's on my DRZ-400. They served me well. Not nearly as good as a real enduro tire, especially the front. But much better than anything OE installed on these things.
    Watch overloading the front; it'll wash easier than you may think. 2x as much if you're anywhere near the front brake lever.
    The rear won't hook up really well either.. but that's okay. Even exiting at times.
    Avoid cross rutting. That was the newb mistake I was most especially proficient in.

How much do you weigh? I'm a large human and springs have been worth their weight in gold on every machine I've ever touched, ever. Transformed the handling on my DRZ.

IMO 3 gal is more than enough for most New England woods riding. Enduro sized tanks are good 'nuf even when we go down to Hatfield and ride town-town over the mountains down there.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Something I could go on long long 2-up adventure trips with my wife that could handle rougher roads than the more street oriented adventure bikes. I've always had a soft spot for those two bikes, but hate dealing with carbs.
    Meh. With the right tires (and some skill behind the bars) those street oriented ADV machines are way more capable than you may think.

That said, KTM makes a 690 that is EFI and by all reports quite well sorted.

I weigh about 170. The stock springs feel pretty good to me, but I don't really have anything to compare it too. The front tire is a Scorpion XCMH. It seems most people don't care for the D606 front, so I wanted to try something different. I was sliding the rear around a bit in the woods, but the front felt planted. Both are YUGE improvements over the stock tires.

My KLR 650 was a nice ride and worked great for two up, but it was just too heavy for me to do any real off-roading. I know the bigger adventure-type bikes are quite capable, I just don't really care for heavier bikes anywhere. I'm sure much of that is rider skill.

I do, however, really like the KTM 690, but no passenger pegs. :-( For some reason, the simplicity of the DR and XR really appeal to me as well.

Lifer

I weigh about 170. The stock springs feel pretty good to me, but I don't really have anything to compare it too.
    You're lucky. I was bored so I dialed up RaceTech. Seems you are correct. Recommended fork rates for you are actually a bit lighter than stock (although heavier for the rear). Although you're pretty close. For us larger humans that usually doesn't work that way.

Ride on.

It seems most people don't care for the D606 front, so I wanted to try something different. I was sliding the rear around a bit in the woods, but the front felt planted. Both are YUGE improvements over the stock tires.
    I liked the front just fine on my DRZ. Once sprung right for me, I was able to ride it better than I expected. Even did a MX fun day on it.

I got to hit a few trails around Stafford Springs, CT a couple weeks ago and have been exploring some trails around Palmer. I'm definitely having a blast on this bike.

I was supposed to go riding again last Friday, but on Thursday I was doing some exploring in my area and head a dead-end that was very narrow, very rocky, and slightly down hill. Turning around there was a nightmare, but I didn't have much of a choice. So I muscled it around, but in the effort, it tipped slowly over on the right side. A screw that holds on a plastic guard landed nicely on a rock and gave me a nice little window into my clutch plates.

Freak accident, but the parts are ordered.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The freakish way this happened, I'm not sure that would save it, but I'm probably going to get one of those anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12