Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

breakdirt916's busted MX machine thread

Re: breakdirt916's busted MX machine thread

Harry is awesome dude, you can't go wrong with him.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    Harry is awesome dude, you can't go wrong with him.
    who's Harry?

haha, yeah there's a slight misnomer there...

the mechanic that runs the show at "Harry's Machined Shop" is actually named Rick

but thanks to the free time on Saturday afternoons, the crank is doing the same thing you'd do, if the bitch told you she's not actually on birth control: GET IT OUT!

and I know (based on this thread) it is ENTIRELY possible to push out a crankshaft without special "bottom end tools", but if you're like me and have limited mechanical experience, living in a house with a small tool collection, I definitely recommend using the Tusk (or equivalent) crankcase splitter for the task:

it mounts securely to the crank case, it is well constructed so when used properly won't bend/break, and it applies a strong/appropriately perpendicular force to the crank shaft to carefully push it out of the bearing. And it's so easy to use, that even I, did not damage anything on the crank pushing it out this time around

unfortunately Harry's closed today at 2, but I should be able to drop it off for servicing early next week

in the mean time, I'm going to put all the other parts into labeled bags, clean the cases completely by hand, and strip it completely down to the bearings, so I can swap all the transmission bearings when my bikebandit order comes next week

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-01-11 at 11:30 PM.

Parts are now at harry's machined shop

I sure do love the smell of Suzuki Genuine Parts

the bikebandit order arrived: I have brand new transmission bearings!

why transmission bearings?

for those that don't know the history of this bike, it always had difficulty getting into gear without stalling. But over time, it eventually started making a whining in 2nd gear, stopped going into 3rd gear, and ultimately stopped disengaging the clutch altogether

when I took it apart, I found out that a transmission bearing (which would require a blind bearing removal...so least likely to be replaced) had failed inside the crankcase, and trashed the left crankcase half:

and that failure subsequently lead to the right side crankcase half shattering, after the main shaft bearing had broken:

so yeah, I didn't want history repeating itself...it was getting new transmission bearings

but because the old case wasn't salvageable, I got a donor bike, kept the crankcase halves, and parted the rest. This thread is for putting that "donor" bottom end back together, the engine into the bike, and the bike (hopefully) running

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-02-11 at 10:45 PM.

jeeze man. talk about a project! best of luck!

you ever need a better place to wrench ur always welcome to come down with the bits and pieces and we'll have a beer and i'll watch you put it back together! haha

Last edited by gamorg02; 03-02-11 at 11:12 PM.

haha, yeah...project indeed...and we shall have a beer soon because I got the parts back from Harry's and wow! Rick is some sort of magician or something: he did a great job with the parts in a short turn around at a fair price!

for those needing machine shop work, I def. recommend Harry's Machined Shop: 508-366-1455

to investigate the case binding, he even pushed the crank into both case halves using his press and spun it around...luckily the crank wasn't binding in either case half. The cases came apart without a gasket inside, so he recommended that I add a gasket, and put it back together.

The only other thing that I can think of, that would make the case bind is an improperly or inadequately fitted crank bearing. So next step: have Adam at Out of Control Racing take another shot with my cases and properly interference fit the bearings into the case. I tried it myself once, but even after freezing the bearing for 2 hours, oven-heating the crank case, AND hitting it with a torch, I had to force them in, which feels like they may have installed improperly...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-04-11 at 12:17 AM.

good luck bud. yeah rick has been more than fair on his prices everytime i've gone to him.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    So next step: have Adam at Out of Control Racing take another shot with my cases and properly interference fit the bearings into the case.
    Adam is a good dude (so is the chick but i forget her name, Heather?), I really like that shop, always been great to me

Beta 200RR

yep, Adam knows exactly what he's talking about, so I left him the crank case halves today with the transmission bearings, crankshaft bearings, and crank seals...hopefully it'll be done by next week and I can get that bottom end pieced back together

while I was there, he recommended that I also replace the water pump shaft/impeller/bearing/seal because it's internal...and if it goes, I have to split the cases again to repair it...

bout time for a bump!

new water pump shaft/impeller/bearing/seal are in...can't install yet because parts are still with Adam @ Out Of Control Racing in Worcester...he put in most of the bearings, but found that the hole for the shifter was bent, and it wouldn't ever seal properly if ignored. So the cases are back to Harry's Machined shop and that hole is being re-rounded and we're burning in a new seal to close it off.

Otherwise, it should all be ready to go back together when I get it back

wow man i think this is some kind of record for a dirtbike rebuild. can't imagine the $$ u have tied up.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    wow man i think this is some kind of record for a dirtbike rebuild. can't imagine the $$ u have tied up.
    Bet it's not all that crazy, he's is good at finding the craigslist parts and Harry's Machine has always been more than reasonable as far as pricing goes for the work he does.

undoubtedly it's been more expensive than it should be, but I've gotten some good deals on ebay/CL and parting out the donor bike made ~$400 profit to offset some of the other costs

on the plus side, the shifter seal is "out for delivery" right now, so I'm going to call Adam and Rick to see if they want to "burn it in" for the end of the week (which, I am not 100% sure, is supposed to be, lol...I thought you just installed seals by driving/wiggling/squeezing it into place!).

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-16-11 at 11:51 AM.

Hey is this going to be your strictly mx bike cause I'm willing to bet it'd rip better on the trail than your xr too.

what up man!

yeah, this'll pretty much be a MX bike...it's supposed to be the polar opposite of the XR: stiff suspension, elevated seat height, tall/wide gears, higher powered, and loud

I can still ride the RM on trails, but I'm honestly more comfortable (and maybe faster?) with the XR because it's such a plush bike that's easy to ride

but we'll still have to do a 2-stroke run together sometime...when there's no snow!

this isn't 100% "busted MX machine" related, but...

we finally got around to ripping this out:

and installing this!

the rest of the garage is still a f'in pig sty, but at least I have a clean bench top to wrench the MX bike

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-20-11 at 03:55 PM.

I would box in that stinky pipe. The kind of luck I have I would be wailing on something on the benck and it would break and make a hole in it.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

hmm...I didn't think of that...noted!

I called out of control to see if the cases were back from Harry's, since he's had them for a couple weeks now. Turns out they won't be ready for awhile as I got some bad news: Rick's dog had to be put down, and 2 days later his father passed away. I feel so bad, what an awful pair of events to happen so close together! Poor guy...thoughts and prayers with his close friends and family...

i heard rick had some personal things to attend to, but man that sucks. he loved that dog too i guess did all sorts of agility training with it back in the day.

So, what's the current state of things?

Called out of control racing today, and he said the parts still aren't back from harry's as they were behind. But adam's called a couple times and Rick is back to work and knows about my cases, so hopefully they will be back soon...

Ineed to f'n practice! I haven't ridden dirt in months and the rm for even longer so I have a lot to cover

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-26-11 at 10:01 PM.

practice? for some event?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

for Stimilon!

don't forget to sign up Chipper...we need you there

cases are done at Harry's machined shop...the shifter seal went in nicely, and I'm still waiting to see how the other part of the crankcase looks...might be a little while before Adam puts it back together, but I'm still praying

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-29-11 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast