Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

breakdirt916's new dirtbike

breakdirt916's new dirtbike

only 48 miles!

1999 Suzuki DR200SE

-I like small bikes
    -It's cheap to own
    -street plated trails 20mins from work

...plus I live in Long Beach - urban adventure ride anyone?

dumped the CR125 and XR100...kept the lovely FZR600

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-21-13 at 02:32 AM.

Re: breakdirt916's new dirtbike

That is not a dirtbike. It'll be a great, fuel miserly commuter that will allow you to take a shortcut here and there, but it's not a dirtbike.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

yeah, but you know me man...I just like small bikes!

the '00 XR200 I had in MA had less suspension travel and equal pogo stick feel, but was a great bike for me...it just needed a street plate to be complete

and, I'm done with MX...I think my knees have been permanently altered with my boner air crashes and "one more lap on the vet track"

out in CA - at trails like these:

one guy was on my CR125 and I was on the XR100...and I was waiting for him!

not for everyone, I know...boring for most of you guys...but great for me!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-21-13 at 10:52 AM.

Lifer

Very nice! It has been my experience that you can have just as much fun, or maybe even more, on a smaller DS bike than a bigger one. With the right pilot, that bike is capable of carrying a surprisingly quick pace through most trails. The key is to develop your riding style so that you can carry a good pace, without beating the poor little machine to death. It can be done.
    Edit: Please leave the muffler stock. Opening it up will not get you significantly more power, and will mostly only make more noise.

Last edited by gregp; 04-21-13 at 10:31 AM.

agreed! all my saddle time on the XR's already made me accustomed to that style...I'm actually faster on an XR200 than a CR125 in trails

and I'm pretty much leaving it all stock...I read through the DR200 thread on advrider, and my feeling that if you want more power or speed, get a DR350/DR650. I might get new dirt oriented tires if I do a weekend trail trip, but that's it.

and I live in an apt complex where I *technically* don't have proper motorcycle parking...I just park it on a paved patio area. If the bike's loud, I'll likely lose my parking.

just bought extra used rims - old, used, and not straight = DOT knobbies with a larger sprocket

ironically, now that I have a bike in CA, I bought them from skycycle salvage in fitchburg, MA - looks like the dirt heritage from mass stays with me wherever I go

current rims - low miles/straight = street tires (bridgestone BT45 or avon roadriders) with a smaller rear sprocket for more happy street speeds and budget sumo

wow...look at what a supermoto front/rear fender and new headlight will do to this thing!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-24-13 at 12:17 PM.

This is a great thread

I'm thinking a round headlight would help this ugly duckling a bit. That MX rear fender ain't doin it any favors. Perhaps if it were cut a foot shorter?

Paul_E_D

yeah, meh...I lost that momentum...I'd rather spend money on food, haha (mmm...food)

but now I get it (the not a dirtbike part) - it really does suck. My XR100 had more acceleration & better handling suspension than this thing

but I'm riding 3-4 times/week instead of once every 2-3 months..and it's pretty much an oil change/add gas/lube chain sort of bike...no headache!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-02-13 at 11:04 AM.

I'm going to laugh if your next "I got a new dirtbike!" thread is you on a CRF50 with training wheels

You take the whole 'i like smaller bikes' thing to a new level man. At least buy a big bore power cruiser or something to make up for it!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm going to laugh if your next "I got a new dirtbike!" thread is you on a CRF50 with training wheels

You take the whole 'i like smaller bikes' thing to a new level man. At least buy a big bore power cruiser or something to make up for it!
    I dunno. I'd say he and Kurlon are in a epic battle for who likes the weirder/smaller/goofier bikes.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I dunno. I'd say he and Kurlon are in a epic battle for who likes the weirder/smaller/goofier bikes.
    Have you looked in my garage recently?

FZR 400
    WR 250R
    TTR 125LE (Ok, this one is my wife's, to be replaced with something larger)
    CRF70RR - Sold to Savas, being delivered next race weekend ideally

It's nothing like it used to be. My race bike is built for the class I want to run, and is competitive. The TTR is a good learner bike for my wife. The only oddball left is my 92 WR and that's only because I can't afford a nice current YZ250 yet. It's downright boring in my garage now.

I know it's killing you..... hahha. =]]

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I know it's killing you..... hahha. =]]
    It's funny because it's true!

yep, and if you view the pm's between me and Kurlon, I have discussed and been amazed by that crf70rr!

my current garage also has an fzr...it's just a 600

and I do like 2-stroke MX machines...but you can't expect to buy it for cheap, just change the oil, add gas, and just ride it for 20k+ miles...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-03-13 at 12:19 AM.

Sorry, but you can't ride ANYTHING on dirt for 20K miles without major maintenance. What you would have on you hands would be a basket case. There is just maintenance inherent to riding in an environment akin to sandpaper. It shouldn't be a reason NOT to ride a particular bike. It should be part of the lifestyle.

Paul_E_D

maybe not 20k miles, but in terms of major maintenance, this will use it much less frequently vs the 100 hours or so on a 2-stroke top end

and honestly, once this bike needs a bottom end, I'd rather let it go...I bought this whole bike for probably what a major engine overhaul costs...and I'm done doing crankshafts myself, I messed it up 10 times over on the rm

Well, you started out against medical advice on that one... lol

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    just bought extra used rims - old, used, and not straight = DOT knobbies with a larger sprocket

ironically, now that I have a bike in CA, I bought them from skycycle salvage in fitchburg, MA - looks like the dirt heritage from mass stays with me wherever I go
    Lol, I know exactly which bike you got those rims from. I was at Jap Bike Mike's Swap Meet on 4/21/13 and I almost traded the guy for the complete bike (DR200SE) minus the motor, but it had no title and came from the scrapyard. Likely stolen, so I passed. But Skycycle always shows up at these events and buys more stuff than they sell, only to resell through the internet. How much did you get the wheels for?

I forgot...maybe about $70 for the front and $110 for the rear...not that I can do anything about it, but did I get jacked?

I was looking for extra rims for the xr100 and some people sold them for $150-$250 for rear...so I thought that price seemed fair

But Paul - yeah I usually don't take it, then suffer later haha

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-03-13 at 06:02 PM.

lol no, you didn't get jacked. If you thought it was a fair price, then you did good. You didn't pay for the whole bike, if that's what you're thinking. The funny thing is; I was thinking to myself after Skycycle took it, Who the -F- is going to need parts from a DR200.... now I know.

as this thread shows, it's not a wildly popular bike, hahaha

better for me! bought the bike for cheap, and will have extra rims for cheap

from what I read online, using the OEM rims with 21"/18" street tires (like BT45's) on a DR200 is almost as good for street riding and occasional supermoto track days, as actual 17" sumo wheels/tires...but a helluva lot cheaper

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-03-13 at 06:02 PM.

aaaaaannnnddd I sold it.

Rode it 1,000 miles...I hit up trails, mx track, supermoto track, did some urban hooligan riding, and made a $50 profit

owning it just didn't seem worth it for me. You spend $93/year for street registration in CA, $123/year for insurance, and you have to pay a few hundred a year for maintenance....doesn't really seem worth it for something I do 2-3 times/year...

renting a dirt bike is $125-$135 per day...it costs roughly the same as ins/reg and doesn't require maintenance investment, and you get a bitchin bike

'twas a fun bike though!

Supermoto Track Riding!

SoCal Trail/Desert Riding!

Urban Adventure/Hooligan Riding!

Mountain Cresting/Fire Road Riding!

National Forest/Nature escaping!

Motocross riding!

Canyon carving!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-12-13 at 12:07 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: