Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 Yamaha WR250 Thoughts?

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

Hey folks. I'm selling one of my Duc's to fund the purchase of a dirty-bike. I was originally thinking a DRZ, but for some reason, the normally plentiful used market of DRZ's has dried up.

There is a 2003 Yammie WR250 in good shape for 2800$ nearby. I'm wondering what kind of experiances people have had with these bikes, if any? My friend has the WR450, which is just a powerhouse, and frankly too much power for the woods of NE. (I'd just get in trouble with it.)

I'm not a small guy, at 6'5" 200lbs. So how does the power/suspension handle singletrack in the northeast? And can you make it street-legal? I know many of the Hondas and Yamaha's have "For off-road use only" stamped on the titles. I'd like to get something I can register on the street, and not worry about cop cars chasing me into the woods because I spent 30 seconds on the road getting to a new trail.

Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS

That is good, but check out the link for the 450. It is not too much power... I ride one no problem... and it's ALREADY STREET LEGAL!!!!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Just Registered

Either bike will get you through the woods without issue. Im 250# and despite suspension not being setup for me, the 2 250 4strokes I've ridden were still a blast.

But if your already used to motarding and sliding the bike around, I'd think about a 450.

I dont think the analogy of the literbike vs. the 600 on the street does not carry over to the dirt for me, it's the opposite. Though I hem and haw on the topic, and I think I may be faster (initially) on a 250 4 stroke, it got boring faster. Come to a long straight section of trail or a suprise log/berm/etc. and you'll get annoyed with trying to rev the 250 to get it sweet.

Not sure of the 2003 250, I owned a 2001 WR250 and it was cool at first but I had a friend with a WR426 that I was able to snag a deal on and so I did. I did have a 2003 YZ450 and never had any issues with it. But I bought a YZ and regretted ever trying to woodsify it and traded on a CRF450x. The CRFx is awesome in the woods

This is all said with the m.o. that you want to get it on the street eventually - I'd unquestionably go with a 4 for this, you'd be wringing the piss out of that 250 riding anywhere with it.

But what you should really do is find someone that has a 250 and a 450 and try to take them both out and see what you feel more comfy with. I know a few members here have them
    (I have a 450x but I am never in state to ride it so I am a bad choice for this ).

I've ridden a 450. Thing is insane in the woods. Granted, I doubt I have the smooth throttle application that Tony and others might have. But I found myself wheeling everywhere, and generally going way to fast. I rode a TTR250, and still had lots of fun on that. (And thats a air-cooled hog).

I'm not sure about MA, but in CT, the trails availible to us are pretty tight and technical. Its a lot of work with a 450 from what I found. The TTR250 I rode was a little lacking int he power department, but enough that I could still wheelie over obstacles, and have some fun backing it into berms and sliding all over the place.

I dont really want something for street, I just prefer something that I can ride on the street when I need to, without fear of harassment from police officers.

Tony, that is a nice bike. But a bit out of my price range. If I didnt spend all that money on trackdays...

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

I hear ya on the money issue, Alex... but you should see if the guy will take less?

Basically, having the 450 let's me leave it a gear high and cruise all day.

This makes it nice and controllable... but as much power as you want is only a downshift away.

Not trying to talk you into that bike, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid of the power. I'm 5'8", so you'd be just fine.

The fact that it's street registered is the big selling point... definitely makes it easy on you.

Either way.. hope you'll be joining us soon in the woods.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I just scored an older KDX200 with a street title. I think it's a great woods bike. With a little tweaking it will be a fantastic woods bike.

It chugs along fine, then roosts like only a two-stroke can

Oh yeah, the price was right too!

Paul_E_D

Found this on NEDB, and he just lowered the price to 2500, seems like a good score...and it has a street title.
    It's a 2-smoke 200

2003 ktm 200 exc
    Factory connection revalve front and back. rear shock has FC bladder kit and fancy FC resevoir body. also has FC preload rings so you don't have to mess with the allen screw. Has FC 20 degree triple clamp. w/adjustable bar mounts front to back and up and down w/rubber mounts to kill vibration. all told this bike has about $1200 to $1400 in Factory connection upgrades. Bike originally belonged to an FC tech hence all the Fc stuff. Has an fmf gnarly pipe with carbon fiber guard. guard has usually scratches and a small crack but is still very funtional and looks fine. Also has stock pipe with carbon fiber guard. Although stock pipe needs alignment and gaurd is more chewed. Carbon fiber skid plate. Carbon fiber shark fin. After market billet aluminum wheel spacers and axle pulls. Acerbis barkbusters. has a steel Honda clutch. Bike has the upgraded odometer with pushbutton controls on the handle bar. Case guard for front sprocket. New sprockets and Chain. SDG tall soft seat. Probably a few other upgrades i'm forgetting. One downside is the front rim has got a pretty good ding in it from previous rider. I am the second owner of the bike. I've had it two years and never got used to it. Only has about 35 to 40 hours on it. Also has some extra plastics, front fenders etc.etc. Suspension is set up for new england hare scrambles. I have some pics i will email to you also. How ever i'm not very good with computers so i haven't figure out how to batch email pics. you eill get a lot of single pic emails ... sorry.
    NH street title. so it will be easy to plate.
    Low hours. book is $3550 stock
    Nice 200 exc w/lots of bling
    Looking for $3000.
    Dave Lynch

Yamaha

I just saw maybe the same bike on Craigs list ??? If you don't pull the trigger I may .
    Let me know .

I ride a crf 250x stock and its got enough power for me. But my next ride will be a KTM, possibly a 200 smoker.

Yeah, I wanted the KTM 200 but the KDX just fell in my lap, so it'll do. I'm going to slowly mod it into a woods weapon.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I love the two strokes, I have a KX250 that has way more than enough power for me. I don't like the 4 strokes much as they're heavy, hard to get through the tight trails, over stuff and a pain to start.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Those are all 4-stroke stereotypes of the past.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

looks like I'm picking up a 2001 Yamaha TTR225

i'm a dirt riding virgin ... should be fun!

Welcome to the dirty side Jamie! You'll love it.

Couple things to remember tough.

#1. everything is backwards compared with street riding. you lean to the opposite side to turn. You use engine braking and the rear brake to correct things when turning or on loose material.

#2 Use your front brake only when your straight up and down. Nowhere else. You will spend time on the ground getting used to this. Trust me.

#3 More throttle solves all of your problems.

#4 Get ready for a huge addiction. Its like riding the track, without all the prep. you can go as fast as you want. All you have to worry about is that tree jumping out in front of you.

TTR225 is a great bike.

yeah, this is going to be a multi purpose bike

1) for me to play in the woods
    2) for erin to learn about riding
    3) pit bike

I'm excited ... just another motorcycle activity to throw money at (=

This will be good to get riding in between race weekends and track days.

I'm looking forward to it

For the most part I agree with Alex...

But I actually use very little rear brake on most of our rides. The front brake actually has tons of stopping power... even if leaned over... as long as you are on the right stuff.

I try hard to minimize my impact on the trails, and simply try to maintain a steady pace instead of hard gas and brake.

(this is not track riding I'm talking about)

Just like the track (NHIS), I generally keep the balls of my feet on the pegs and just try to be steady. When you do this, it's easier to use front brake to adjust speeds... along with rear tire engine braking.

That's my method... not saying it's right or wrong, but after I've gone over a trail section, you can usually not tell I was there.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Ah yes. HUGE difference between trail conservation, and hooligan riding. In MA, I'm down with trail conservation, and easy riding. You've got lots of legal area to ride, and destroying the trails gets you nowhere.

In CT, we have one -well used- legal area to ride. Everywhere else is trails in peoples backyards, shady agreements with reseviour management and so forth. We wick it up a little bit more, mainly because for all we know, there could be a big metal gate with a lock there next time.

I do find though, that the quads do much more damage than a face-paced day in the dirtbikes do. I wouldnt say my trail riding is almost unnoticeable, but then again, I'm not trying to roost mud on purpose, or burnout on trails.

Agreed...

I also find that a steady pace let's me ride longer.

We all like to roost once in a while, but just like the track... it's pretty cool when you can fly through a corner or tougher section without a lot of braking before... then lots of gas after.

We all know what we call those people...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Doobie Doobie Doo...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Originally posted by rebelpacket
    [B]In CT, we have one -well used- legal area to ride.
    Correction, there are 2 legal riding areas in Ct. Pachaug State forest has a 60 mile trail loop, the only catch is you need a street plated bike. Perfectly legal place to ride though.

I do find though, that the quads do much more damage than a face-paced day in the dirtbikes do.
    How are you basing your findings? A lot of people (dirtbikers) feel trail damage is widening the trail to fit the quad, rather than face the real problem which is erosion. Look at a trail heavily ridden by quads and one ridden the same way by dirtbikes...on any type of incline, while the quads may brush off a wider path of dirt/leaves where they travel, they don't leave trenches cutting the roots of trees to the soil below like I see all the time on dirtbike trails

I'm not saying one is better than the other but it's a safe bet to say they do equal trail damage, even though I lean more to a dirtbike for causing erosion problems simply because they cut through the root line which holds the soil in place

Yamaha

yeah... wasn't going to get into the whole quad/bike thing, but...

I think you can ride a quad and not do damage either.

It's more HOW you ride than WHAT you ride in my book.

When ridden over the trails "wrong", however, you could argue that a quad does twice the damage since both rear wheels are driving.

Ridden with the "tread lightly" theme in mind, however... I think they are both OK.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Someone sent me this link so I'm going to chime in.

New England ATV clubs, along with a number dirt bike clubs maintain the state forests. Erosion is a huge issue. The current trail system is outdated and not a sustainable system. Too many people, to much of a grade, etc. There are club representatives working through the Berkshire Trails Council, with NETRA, some environmentalist groups and the DCR to come up with a plan for a sustainable trail system. The state, for the moment has determined that the "just say no" policy will not work. So, this is a positive step at continuing to keep our forests open to ORV use. Committing to and taking part in trail maintenance through the various clubs is a big step at keeping our forest accessible to all ORV use.

There are responsible people and wreckless people riding various forms of transportation. One cannot judge based on that alone.

Bottom line is if we all work together and educate ourselves and our children maybe we can make it work.

Another pretty good deal.... and it's street titled There are a lot of used bikes on the NEDB site

2003 KTM 250 EXC Ct title and Reg Revloc auto clutch. has all guards, factory connection, Super reliable, starts first kick-great woods bike. $2650.00 Jon 860.402.3336 jmomo63@yahoo.com

Yamaha

I've got a 2005 TTR230 that's in excellent condition for $2695 if anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast