Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Bumpy tires again

Re: Bumpy tires again

Mine are wearing like iron... sitting still in the back of my garage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Grew tired of spinning and falling down, replaced 12 year old rock hard worn out MX tires with Motoz Arena Hybrid Gummy BFM rear and Shinko MX216 fatty front. Should be better.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    mmm, sticky icky ... IBEX #2

Just got mine put on... now I just have to ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Just got mine put on... now I just have to ride
    you'll love it, super grip ... what did you get for the front?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Mine are wearing like iron... sitting still in the back of my garage.
    sad clown ... but i know you've been getting plenty of two-wheeled-time in. have you ridden your spot at all this season?

Beta 200RR

sad clown ... but i know you've been getting plenty of two-wheeled-time in. have you ridden your spot at all this season?
    Not since early spring. One more month of full time roadracing including an epic trip to Barber, then I can get dirty.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

mmm, sticky icky ... IBEX #2

I feel like your take offs would last me a couple seasons.. haha Sadly I’m in the haven’t ridden much camp, I think I’ve ridden the 250x 4 times, and once was just Maine ATV trails/fireroads.

Yamaha

I’ve spent some time on the shinko cheater. The 505 or whatever it’s called.
    It wears pretty quick, and I’m not 100% sure it’s any better all around than the mt16.
    That is all.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Not since early spring. One more month of full time roadracing including an epic trip to Barber, then I can get dirty.
    sweet! would love to hit that little JDay'ish loop again with you. hope it's not overgrown already.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I feel like your take offs would last me a couple seasons.. haha Sadly I’m in the haven’t ridden much camp, I think I’ve ridden the 250x 4 times, and once was just Maine ATV trails/fireroads.
    bummer on seat time but i know how it goes.

the take off IBEX is still working great, lots of grip, but i feel like i'm on borrowed time. the gash i plugged is still holding air but the knobs are cracking at the base, pretty amazed they aren't ripping off or chunking though. it was dry + grippy last weekend, perfect recipie to eat them up but they're doing fine.

i was planning to grab another for the fall season anyway, pulled the trigger a little early.

Beta 200RR

we rode 20mi of mostly uphill, snotty rocks + roots yesterday at Beartown. the IBEX continues to impress me. i don't think the rear wheel slipped once (!) everything felt like ice, sooo many pucker moments, yet that tire gripped everywhere. amazing.

Fatty front did OK but i felt like it was packing mud too easily turning it into a skate. i would have to purposely hit something to clean it out after deep mud. clear water was a godsend.

Beta 200RR

I put around 230 miles on a Dunlop AT81EX last week. The EX is a gummy tire. It worked great on rocky uphils and hard pack, but was really squirmy coming out of turns. I started out around 12 PSI, and gradually brought it up to 15. The tire did feel more stable as it wore down, and it's the first time I rode anything different from a MT16 in a while, so maybe it's normal for the tire. The center knobs are well worn and starting to tear, but the tire is still working really well even though it looks like death. This is on a KTM 500 riding in WV, with zero fucking finess.

The trails in WV were in really good shape without many wash outs. It was dry and a little dusty the first few days, then we got some rain. The leaves are starting to come down and a lot of the trails were covered, that kinda sucked.

I know som guys are riding HM this fall. If you're riding single track trails at Bear Wallow, approach 194, 195, and 196 from the end closest to 71. That's downhill. We've done it the other direction a few times, and it's a bitch. Make a point to hit 83, fun flowing trail.

At Rockhouse, approach 188 from 29. Approach 199 from 94! Fuck 151 in either direction.

I'll look at Buffalo in a minute.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

another new gummy, IRC Volcanduro VE-33S ... looks like an MT16, should be popular around here if it works well.

Beta 200RR

Putting this on my radar. Will be getting a new rear for the KTM soon.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I’ve run a regular ve33 or 35, whichever the front is, exclusively for the least 10 years. I will buy this if I still own a dirtbike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    ...I will buy this if I still own a dirtbike.
    eewww, say it ain't so

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Love me some MT16s on the rear but I have run the IRC VE33 rear and VE35 front previously and I wouldn't hesitate to run this tire or the standard VE33/35 combo again.

So, Kenda Ibex is worth a try? I need a new go to rear.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    So, Kenda Ibex is worth a try? I need a new go to rear.
    they don't last that long but i keep buying them, amazing grip in all conditions. my buddy was sold on his first IBEX as well. they have a front now i'd like to try but doesn't come in 90/90.

Beta 200RR

I like the Ibex. It's not the end all but worth a try and see what you think. As said, it does not work great in mud.
    I would shy away from the front unless you were in slow rocky stuff only.

As for wearing... I don't buy tires to last a long time. I buy them to work. That said, I want to try a Mitas but boy are they proud of them...

I'm still rollin on the Bridgestones I bought for MX a few years back. Now riding woods. No complaints!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I like the Ibex. It's not the end all but worth a try and see what you think. As said, it does not work great in mud.
    I would shy away from the front unless you were in slow rocky stuff only.
    surprised to read that ... we've had the exact opposite experience ... shocking traction in slop + smooth rocks. what pressure do you run? we're usually around 5 or 6psi TUbliss.

Beta 200RR

By mud I mean slopping through deep soft stuff. Wet light mud on rocks and stuff is where it shines. In deeper stiffer mud I think the soft bendy knobs are the drawback. I think a tire with a stiffer taller knob works better in muddier mud.. Lol

Lifer

they have a front now i'd like to try but doesn't come in 90/90.
    I know the 90/90 in theory isn't any taller, but have you needed to make any geometry adjustments to accommodate the 90/90 over an 80/100? I recently put a MX216 90/90 on and hated it immediately. I can't figure out if it's something I have control over, or I just don't like it. I had a blown out M59 missing half the side lugs on before it and it tracked better when leaned over than a brand new tire...

It just feels so.... nervous? It's almost as if the wider tire and/or maybe stiffer sidewall grabs things near-by and tries to bumpsteer.

For what it's worth, the 90/90 has sidewall lug reinforcement bridges that the 80/100 and I believe 100/90 don't have. I've wondered if that was an after-thought to cure chunking that had a negative impact? Or maybe it's a stiffer sidewall and requires lower pressure than I typically run? Regardless, this all has me questioning why I even bothered deviating from the tried and true.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I know the 90/90 in theory isn't any taller, but have you needed to make any geometry adjustments to accommodate the 90/90 over an 80/100? I recently put a MX216 90/90 on and hated it immediately. I can't figure out if it's something I have control over, or I just don't like it. I had a blown out M59 missing half the side lugs on before it and it tracked better when leaned over than a brand new tire...

It just feels so.... nervous? It's almost as if the wider tire and/or maybe stiffer sidewall grabs things near-by and tries to bumpsteer.

For what it's worth, the 90/90 has sidewall lug reinforcement bridges that the 80/100 and I believe 100/90 don't have. I've wondered if that was an after-thought to cure chunking that had a negative impact? Or maybe it's a stiffer sidewall and requires lower pressure than I typically run? Regardless, this all has me questioning why I even bothered deviating from the tried and true.
    i haven't ridden an 80/100 in a long, long time so i can't compare to the 90/90 but steering got WAY easier to dial when i dropped back down from the 90/100. got tired of fighting front end feel with rear adjustments + the climbing out of ruts with the 90/100 Fatty. so nice for straight-line rock gardens though!

yeah, i assume you mean the Shinko MX216 90/90, same experience here. felt very unstable on our usual stuff, didn't like it at all, almost pulled it off after a few rides ... i was still dialing in the new bike so wasn't sure how much was hating the stock Sachs again or not but for the hell of it ran it at lower pressure than i normally would, 12-13psi down to 10psi ... completely changed the feel up front.

try running it at 10, or maybe even 9, and see if it changes the feel. even at 10psi i haven't felt a rim hit yet. i think it's a very stiff sidewall on those ... no chunking yet.

Beta 200RR

Ok, After my last 2 woods rides, I'm convinced that I'm on the wrong tires. Looks like I'm transitioning away from MX due to ease of access, and well, I don't exactly bounce that well anymore. Sooooo, Time to reread this thread. New bumpy tires coming for next season.

Paul_E_D