Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camping plus riding with Junior

Re: Camping plus riding with Junior

Most shifter oil seals can be removed externally. But the dealer parts guy said that I had to remove a cover and take it out from the inside.

Anyone done this on a CRF100F/XR100?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I see nothing on the parts fiche that would imply that. I'd say take the shifter off and look, if you can see the the seal, yank and replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And do I really have to spend like $100 dollar bucks on hand guards?
    no

I bought the t motorsports $28 handguards on fleabay for the cr and we crashed it a couple times without issue

it has metal inside from the bar end to the front clamp

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-09-14 at 10:45 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I am going up to balsamswoods campground from the tuesday after Labor Day (boy I hate that word) till Columbus Day. Fall foliage dirt riding. Yes. 6 whole weeks of dirt riding.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    no

I bought the t motorsports $28 handguards on fleabay for the cr and we crashed it a couple times without issue
    You've got aluminum thick walled bars... I can't find any of the $25 ones on eBay with bar end inserts for steel thin wall bars. If anyone wants a set of the eBay cheapies, I've got some, in fake carbon fiber for maximum bling!

I am going nuts trying to find the service manual I bought before our trip. Here is the seal: sure looks like it can be pulled out to me.

Yup, that can be done externally.

Since when has nesr ever had bad advice?

Screw the mechanic

Have your son do it

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You've got aluminum thick walled bars... I can't find any of the $25 ones on eBay with bar end inserts for steel thin wall bars. If anyone wants a set of the eBay cheapies, I've got some, in fake carbon fiber for maximum bling!
    I didn't even know there was a difference that was thick and thin walls

So I'm assuming you have the thick variety and this will fit my kdx200?

I didn't even know there was a difference that was thick and thin walls

So I'm assuming you have the thick variety and this will fit my kdx200?
    Yup, mine need to mount on aluminum bars. My TTR has OEM steel crap, so these aren't doing me any good. Trade ya for the YZ250 sumo wheel set?

Since when has nesr ever had bad advice? Screw the mechanic. Have your son do it
    "Good judgement comes from experience."
    "Experience comes from bad judgement."

Part number is 91203-436-004 OIL SEAL (12X24X5)

And bad judgment comes from beer...which flows through nesr like the rivers of the Amazon

So lesson learned - drinking beer leads to good judgment

Kurlon - they're not true sumo wheels...they are stock wheels with dual sport (shinko IIRC) tires...the rear looks a little fishy to be honest, it's an 18"...since when dis yamaha put an 18" rear on a 250 mx bike?

Finally got a day off...gonna look at it closer today. No sprocket or brake rotor either, but I want to put a smaller sprocket to make it street friendly anyways...need more top speed to catch air over neighborhood hills in long beach

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-10-14 at 10:31 AM.

18's shipped on the WR250, which swaps directly with the YZ250 from that era. Only difference in the wheels between the two is rim diameter, 18 vs 19. The WR swingarm is the same length and linkage setup so it also directly swaps, the only difference being the WR swinger uses snail adjusters for chain slack and has mounts for a sidestand.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

OK, got some good advice on Advrider for the oil seal. The seal puller was too big and did not work. A rider on Adv suggested leaning the bike on its side and driving a sheet metal or wood screw into the seal. Worked like a charm and leaning the bike over keeps it from losing oil.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-12-14 at 07:09 PM.

Lifer

That's what they made sheet rock screws for.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTaco View Post
    Also, I never liked the split wedge style bar end clamps. If you've got stock steel bars on the CRF the bar I.D. is larger than your typical aluminum bar which makes the fit worse. I used the Tusk bar end clamps from RMATV. They are amazingly sturdy and fit really well with the stock steel bars.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%20bra%20clamp
    Thanks, I disliked the other ones and bought a set for the WR.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTaco View Post
    I used the Tusk bar end clamps from RMATV. They are amazingly sturdy and fit really well with the stock steel bars.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%20bra%20clamp
    I broke one of my bar end clamps and saw this post so I gave them a try. These are vastly superior to the stock ones. At $8 for a pair, it should be standard equipment.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Ditto, thanks again to TTaco as I've now got them on the WR250 as well.

Did the internet thing with the Maine Inland Game & Fisheries yesterday. Maine stickers coming. Called Balsamswoods campground and just setting up a date with the owner and sure enough he remembered you and your son.

Safari tank and a kickstand installed on the YZF250 turning it from a motocrosser into a trail bike. Purchased a almost new KTM 200XC-W. Got a Garmin eTrex 10 GPS and I can't figure it out. Booked a whitewater rafting trip on the nearby Penebscot in East Millinocket. And the Maine stickers came in the mail. Leaving Tuesday and boondocking out in the woods. Booked a campsite at Millinocket for the weekend and then to Balsamwoods Campground till closing on Oct 12. ....I hope I can find some kid to show me how to do the GPS thingy.....Thanks for the inspiration to do this.

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous
    Safari tank and a kickstand installed on the YZF250 turning it from a motocrosser into a trail bike. Purchased a almost new KTM 200XC-W. Got a Garmin eTrex 10 GPS and I can't figure it out. Booked a whitewater rafting trip on the nearby Penebscot in East Millinocket. And the Maine stickers came in the mail. Leaving Tuesday and boondocking out in the woods. Booked a campsite at Millinocket for the weekend and then to Balsamwoods Campground till closing on Oct 12. ....I hope I can find some kid to show me how to do the GPS thingy.....Thanks for the inspiration to do this.
    We are up in the area now, its the driest I have seen it in years. Some fun trails are a bit south, make sure you explore the Cambridge, harmony, Wellington and Parkman trails as those are more trail like than the roads type trails to the north. Heading home tomorrow, still a slight chance of a return trip for Columbus weekend. Have fun up here, check in with some ride reports and pics.

Also, get your fun riding in during the week, the weekends are full of side by side trains that won't let you pass

Yamaha

Feeling nostalgic.

A friend of a friend just came and picked up the CRF100F. His son is 15 and they’d been searching high and low for a dirt bike for him. A new CRF125F is now $3,499 MSRP! He will be the 4th owner. We had the Certificate Of Origin, original keys, manual etc. Such a great little bike! It’s kick start only but very light, easy to pick up and pretty indestructible.

When my son was 7 he was struggling in school. For a writing exercise he wrote the following.

We told him,”If you get all A’s and B’s, we will get you a dirt bike.” Never underestimate the power of motivation! Luckily Ted Duncan was selling his 94 XR100R. Of course we lived in South Boston at the time and had a back yard about 25’x25’ but TheOtherSean let us ride out at his place.

He didn’t get to ride it much, and then we got one of the Razor electrics, so he used that a lot more. At one point three kids in the neighborhood had them so Karen was unhappy.

In 2014 he was again struggling with classroom and he again responded with a stellar effort, leading to the purchase of a 2012 CRF100F.

The trip we took to Maine was one of the highlights of our relationship. Then we got a place near Sunapee with plenty of opportunity to ride. But that 5’2 kid kept growing, and started grabbing the WR250R whenever he could. He’s 6’2 and 190 now, so time for the CRF to move on.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

But that 5’2 kid kept growing, and started grabbing the WR250R whenever he could. He’s 6’2 and 190 now, so time for the CRF to move on.
    Soon as the activities return to normal, I bet he'd enjoy some NETRA events. 'Fun runs' are a good introduction, or a turkey run (dual sport ride) if he's ambitious and has his MC license. I believe jr's with a license can run the enduros too. I think all the events remain in limbo, but I'm pretty sure they'll be putting one on as soon as legally possible.

Last weekend I was on a trail ride with some dads and their ~10-12 year olds. I was impressed how I never saw any of them make any bad/impulsive decisions. All riding pretty smart. Not sure I would have had the same judgement then.

nedirtriders.com

He had his driver’s license test scheduled in early March - cancelled. No info yet on when they will commence driver testing again.

Feeling nostalgic.

But that 5’2 kid kept growing, and started grabbing the WR250R whenever he could. He’s 6’2 and 190 now, so time for the CRF to move on.
    It’s amazing how fast it happens. The best memories of my childhood are riding moto and trails with my Dad. He had steel balls catching an 8 year old coming in hot on a Honda 350 that I couldn’t touch the ground on - I can still see him waving his arms yelling “clutch!! Brake!!” A few months of that and he bought me an XR80, I worshipped that bike! I hope my boys will look back on our motorsports adventures and smile.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast