Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camping plus riding with Junior

Re: Camping plus riding with Junior

Question: My bikes both have standard gas tanks. YZ250F and YZ250. Would I be good there or should I be thinking about safari tanks?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Woke up this morning to light, then steadier rain. My son was initially despondent. Not five minutes later he said, "I came up here to ride and I'm going to ride!

I asked him if today was his "best day ever" and he said "Top three!"
    Most excellent.

Enough rain last night to drown frogs....

We were able to extend our stay another day so we can ride without snorkels. More misc info.

The store on the premises is open 8-8. Rec room is open 8-10.

There is a large Shaws supermarket in Dove-Foxcroft open 7-9. That's 15 miles from here and on the way from I95.

The campground is open Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend. They have also opened a small (four rooms) trail side hotel open year-round.

Most of the people staying here are off-roaders but they also get motorcycle tourists and even touring bicyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Question: My bikes both have standard gas tanks. YZ250F and YZ250. Would I be good there or should I be thinking about safari tanks?
    I spoke to the young couple who owns the place. She said that there is gas near the trail in Guilford, to the SE, and Greenville, almost due N, but wasn't sure about traveling W. They have gas at the campsite so most people top off before leaving: you pump it and then go to the store and they have a camera to read the total.

FWIW Spoke to a guy who had a Rotopak on his ATV as he was the only one with add-on fuel. He has a Polaris 850 with a 4.5 gallon tank and he rides with a passenger. He wasn't sure of mileage but said it was " bad."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-26-14 at 09:41 AM.

Lifer

My wife and I rode to the B-52 crash site last year. Pics can be found here: http://s538.photobucket.com/user/gpl...?sort=3&page=1

We also visited Jericho twice in the last 30 days. We stayed at the Top Notch Inn, and Town & Country Inn. All of the ME and NH riding seems very "easy" to me, but my wife enjoys the long mileage. We headed out on the "Success" trail, out of Berlin, but we got confused by some of the trail signage, and ended up in Dummer and Milan, instead of making it up to Errol as intended.
    We are now looking for new places in NH and ME to ride. We may head up to Warren, NH, or perhaps try a closer venue like Pisgah State Forest this weekend.

Stopped by the very helpful Polaris/KTM dealer, Victory Motorsports. They gave me a copy of the Maine state ATV map, which gives links to all the local clubs. Abbott is just NW of #83.

Really big image.

To offer some scale, Greenville is roughly 25 mile NNW of here.

Green are ATV & motorcycle. Red are ATV only.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-26-14 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Most excellent.
    +1 !!!!

also, I wonder why they don't let dirtbikes on ATV trails...seems like bikes are equally if not more capable...unless they make too many ruts

but if ya guys want dry...visit socal...it hasn't rained here in months!

yesterday!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-26-14 at 10:11 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    +1 !!!!

also, I wonder why they don't let dirtbikes on ATV trails...seems like bikes are equally if not more capable...unless they make too many ruts

but if ya guys want dry...visit socal...it hasn't rained here in months!

yesterday!
    As far as I can tell, the main concern of the land owners is ruts, and speed. The ATV's that are most prominent up there are of the 4x4 variety. Yes, motors are getting bigger every year, but the trails have a 30 MPH speed limit. Bikes tend to go much faster than that on these wide open dirt roads.
    If I lived up there, I would try to find a BW350, or a Fat Cat in good shape. When I last looked at ME laws, it was apparent that ME looks at tire pressures when classifying vehicles.

CMP doesn't want bikes on the powerline trails as they consider them to use 'high pressure tires' that 'cause more erosion' than ATVs. Yeah, sure, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    My wife and I rode to the B-52 crash site last year. Pics can be found here: http://s538.photobucket.com/user/gpl...?sort=3&page=1

We also visited Jericho twice in the last 30 days. We stayed at the Top Notch Inn, and Town & Country Inn. All of the ME and NH riding seems very "easy" to me, but my wife enjoys the long mileage. We headed out on the "Success" trail, out of Berlin, but we got confused by some of the trail signage, and ended up in Dummer and Milan, instead of making it up to Errol as intended.
    We are now looking for new places in NH and ME to ride. We may head up to Warren, NH, or perhaps try a closer venue like Pisgah State Forest this weekend.
    Nice post thanks I am gonna make it there

Woke up this morning to light, then steadier rain. My son was initially despondent. Not five minutes later he said, "I came up here to ride and I'm going to ride!
    awesome attitude. i rode in the rain a lot as a kid, only part that blows is keeping up with vision but once you're wet, you're wet!

cant wait to do this kinda thing with my boys

Beta 200RR

His attitude was tried when we hit two 50 yard, 2' deep pools of water. Getting through them wasn't fun but wasn't horrible, other than having a pint of water in each boot. He got over it, and responding to those challenges was a big development step for him. I logged the location.

Other than that he did great. Yesterday we rode up to Moosehead Lake and back, and logged over 125 miles in three days despite the rain. He stalled the bike a number of times but never fell.

The route to Greenville and Moosehead follows an old rail bed for the most part, with occasional steep, rocky up hills and down hills.

We gassed up in Greenville: the Polaris dealer there has 24 hour pumps. For 37 miles he used .45 gallons and I used .5' for an average of 82mpg and 74, respectively.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-28-14 at 01:06 PM.

If you dads can pull this off with your sons I highly recommend it. He led for a lot of the way and had to make his own decisions.

My built-in "governor" got removed. A guy walked up and asked if the Yamaha was a five or six speed. I said, "Six, the Honda has five." My son thought there were only three.....official top speed for his bike is 45mph I believe and That just be with a 170 lb rider as I think he hit 50 on the railbed.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-30-14 at 04:02 PM.

This is a section of the trail from near the campsite N towards Greenville (including "Pete's Pond"). The world through 11yo eyes....

For reference, the two big pools (one of which has a sign "Tom's Pond, No Fishing") are at approximately N45° 16.629' W69° 34.740'.

You can avoid it when heading south by staying on Blanchard Road.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-30-14 at 07:42 PM.

At the big puddle about half way through I was like MORE GAS MORE GAS! GO RIGHT GO RIGHT GO RIGHT! Before you know it, he'll be riding circles around you and you'll wonder how the hell that happened!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I am going to this place. Gonna skip racing and do a few weeks of this place.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    At the big puddle about half way through I was like MORE GAS MORE GAS! GO RIGHT GO RIGHT GO RIGHT! Before you know it, he'll be riding circles around you and you'll wonder how the hell that happened!
    That would have been useful info! The WR slid like crazy on the mud, I came out of the pond sideways.

We already had the conversation. "Every year, you are going to get better - and I am going to get worse...."

Keep your wheel speed up so the tire can clean itself and get better traction. Also shift your weight towards the rear to keep the front end light. You want your front tire to float over the mud instead of digging in.

We already had the conversation. "Every year, you are going to get better - and I am going to get worse...."
    I've just started shopping around for a 50cc bike that my 5 year old can learn on. I told him he needs to be able to ride his bicycle before his mother and I get him one. Since the start of the summer he has been spending every waking moment practicing with his bicycle and he's progressing rapidly. I honestly can't wait to see him tearing up the yard!

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask about CRF100F carbs.

My son's bike starts from cold with the choke full on, no problem, and then we put it on the middle setting for warmup. But the bike never seems to run well if the choke is shut off all the way. I'm perplexed because the XR100R we had previously did the same thing, even with a new carb and increasing the idle speed.

Is this a Honda 100 "thing" or should I look into the carb?

They're air cooled, cold blooded bitches. My TTR falls into the same camp. Up the pilot size a notch or two.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 500 back around 2008 as it was waterproof, had an internal (removable) battery, and came with both topo and road maps. Got a motorcycle mount for it a year or two later. But because the screen wasn't very big and it did not have an earphone jack or MP3 player, I would up using a Zumo instead so it just sat around.

Well, that little GPS was just the ticket for this trip. I discovered that if you set the map detail to the highest level, all the main trails and some of the club trails were shown, along with terrain contours. I didn't have a compass and it provided that function as well.

Not sure I would buy one as some of the newer outdoor portables have more features, but it was super-handy for this trip.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-01-14 at 09:06 PM.

Any good places in SNH that we could go to for day trips? That's closer to Boston than a lot of W or even central MA. We got the NH OHRV permits today. I found this but was wondering if there were additional trails at private parks erc.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/experien...formation.aspx

Last edited by Garandman; 07-02-14 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast