Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camping plus riding with Junior

Re: Camping plus riding with Junior

NH has some very specific rules about youths operating OHRVs. The important information can be found on page 10 (sheet 12 of the pdf) of this document: http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...13NHATV_LR.pdf

I believe you said your son is 11 years old which means he isn't required to take an OHRV safety class. He will be required to do so when he turns 12 but they are offered for free. As an 11 year old, he obviously has to be under your supervision but he is not allowed to cross public roads. Once he is 12, he still needs to be supervised by you but he'll be able to cross roads and ride along approved ones legally.

The closest trail to you is the Rockingham Rail Trail. It's 12ish miles long and has lots of road crossings which makes it unsuitable for an 11 year old. The trail is mostly straight and there are very few if any challenges so it's easy to get bored on it.

If you venture to the Dunbarton NH area, there is the Hopkinton Everett Riding Area (aka Clough state park). It has plenty of double track trails to explore and a couple more challenging single track trails. Technically there are a few road crossings here as well but they are woods roads as opposed to high traffic paved roads. Lots of NESR people ride here throughout the season.

For whatever reason, the Little Monadnock Family Trails area is not listed on the 2014 NH OHRV Map but it is open to anyone with a NH OHRV sticker. They are farther West in Richmond, NH. I've only quickly explored the area but there are a lot of trails of varying difficulty and you could easily spend a few days exploring without repeating trails. https://www.lmftnh.com/home.html

Pisgah State Park is in the Southwest corner of NH and has trails for OHRV's. I haven't had the chance to explore that area yet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-02-14 at 09:30 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

He took the MSF Dirt Rider course. I want to get him back for the trail course.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I still have 6 years before I have to worry about my oldest taking the safety course so I really have no idea if you need to take the NH specific one or if an out of state option would work. There is an online version you can take and have a certificate mailed to you but it costs $30. The in-person courses are free. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/schedule.html

Thumbs up to this thread...3:15 in the video sums it up nicely!

I've been up to that area with friends to fish a few times. They go every year, for many years now. One of them is an extremely good woods rider but we've never talked about taking bikes or quads...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I still have 6 years before I have to worry about my oldest taking the safety course so I really have no idea if you need to take the NH specific one or if an out of state option would work. There is an online version you can take and have a certificate mailed to you but it costs $30. The in-person courses are free. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/schedule.html
    I called the office and spoke to Mr. Dennis Etchells. I asked him if they would accept the MSF DirtRider course as training. Answer: no. Why not? "I've never heard of that course." "You've never heard of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation?" "No." "The state of NH uses the MSF curriculum for all their on-road motorcycle training." "We don't deal with on road vehicles."

I asked who made the decisions about training curriculum, and he said "Me and the Captain."

OHRV - (603) 271-3129
    Capt. John Wimsatt
    Dennis Etchells, OHRV Program Assistant

Last edited by Garandman; 07-03-14 at 10:26 AM.

I used the online course for my nephew whom I brought to Maine with me last year. Maine doesn't recognize the online course, only the in person course but our plan was to play dumb if we got stopped. We did get stopped for a reg check but the warden never asked for a safety course certificate.

Jeff

Here's something I've wondered about. What if a kid walks his bike across a public way between trails? I'd think that to be legal.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-06-14 at 04:32 AM.

I'm pretty sure he can walk it anywhere as long as he has the proper credentials to ride it where he's going.

Jeff

Lifer

When I was a kid you could walk a bike across the road. But it had to be off and rolled. I thought there was a rule where the machine had to be rolled x feet from the road before it could be started.
    There was a nice steep sandy hill to one of the trail heads next to a public road. Local PD used to park there just to torture the kids that rode dirty.

I bought the shop manual for the CRF100F, and now I can't find it. Anyone change the oil seal on the shifter rod? Most bikes you just pierce it, pull it out, and push on a new one. I'll order the part at Windham, I guess.

never did it on a crf100, but that's what I saw on the rm125...pretty basic seal...no need to split cases or really take anything off aside from the shifter

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    They're air cooled, cold blooded bitches. My TTR falls into the same camp. Up the pilot size a notch or two.
    How I figure out what to get? There seems to be a huge number of options.

Pull the pilot that you've got now, post a pic and what it's marked and I'll point you to suggested alternates.

Found a thread on CRFsonly.com.

Stock main jet = 98 (99101-GHB-0980)
    Stock slow jet = 35 (99104-KN4-0350)
    Stock needle = non-adjustable clip height (16012-KSJ-A01)
    Stock air bleed = 1.5 turns out from seated (16016-KSJ-A01)

Internet research shows that others are running:

Main jet = 102 to 115 (that's a pretty wide range!)
    Slow jet = 37 to 40 (again, that's a fairly wide range)
    Needle = no info on a different (better) needle
    Air bleed = some say to go 2.5 turns out
    And then:
    Main jet stock was 98 replaced with a 108 (99101-GHB-1080)
    Slow jet = stock 35 was replaced with a 38 (99103-KA9-0380)
    Air bleed = stock non-adjustable air bleed was replaced with an adjustable air bleed (16016-KN4-L10) from a 2004 CRF100F and then set to 1.75 turns out
    Sound right?

Last edited by Garandman; 07-06-14 at 05:17 AM.

Lifer

I'm really new to carb tuning, but I don't think those ranges you quoted are that wide. I think that's like 5 stops (on the main). Considering the range of modifications possible and climates (read: elevation).

Not a huge range at all. I'd aim for a 38 pilot, and get 102 and 107 mains, planning on running the 107 with the 102 as a fallback in case you somehow overshoot the target with that 107.

Adjustable air bleed worthwhile?

where's the carb question post?!?

carb tuning isn't hard...

AIB - if it's cheap, go for it...but otherwise, you don't need it for a 10 year old's dirtbike...all it does is allow you to fine tune after the correct pilot jet is in...or compensate for the wrong jet

just play around until you get the right jet...I usually buy a few...rockymountainatv.com has aftermarket ones for $3/jet

does the bike start (with or without choke)? does it have a smooth acceleration and throttle response? if so...you can leave it

heck I tuned a xr100 for sea level, then rode it at 3,000 feet the same day and it started/rode about the same

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-06-14 at 11:38 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Pisgah State Park is in the Southwest corner of NH and has trails for OHRV's. I haven't had the chance to explore that area yet.
    Bill, my wife and I have been exploring Pisgah over the last 2 weeks. Most of the "official" trails are pretty easy going, but there are several trails that offer significant challenges. The Hinsdale trail veers off and leads to some wicked power lines! My wife did not enjoy it, but I did!

Are there more trails for OHRV's than the .PDF map of the park shows? It seems as though most of the interesting trails in the Northwest side of the park are labeled for bicycles or horses.

Lifer

Yes. A trail veers off of the Hinsdale Trail, and leads down a steep, rocky crevasse, to the power lines. There are some serious, rocky climbs there. We turned around because my wife gets nervous when we are "Lost" and the going is tough. She is fine if we are lost, but the going is easy - like our riding trips in Maine. I actually needed my winch to get my machine back up that crevasse!
    There is also a trail that runs along the West side of the Lake that is pretty gnarly. It is only a mile or so long, but it has lots of steep ups and downs, and switchbacks, and it pops you out at the Northern end of the Hinsdale Trail.
    We saw 3 F&G guys on Saturday. One of them was on a black Can-Am Outlander. He inconspicuously rode up to our machines, and checked for registrations (we were good!), then rode over to speak with us as we were gearing up to head out. He explained that they were looking for an elderly gentleman, who had been missing for 2 days. He went on to explain that the gentleman had Alzheimer's, and may appear a bit "off". He told us that the man's name was "Ron", and asked that, if we saw him, to stay with him and call 911.
    During our ride, we saw another F&G guy, on foot, with a dog, up by the Lake, and then we came upon a F&G truck down at the bottom of Reservoir Road. They all waved, and were very friendly.
    Unfortunately, we did not see Ron.
    Pisgah SF is not nearly as big as Jericho, but it is much more challenging. IMO - It is worth a visit.
    We rode every trail in Jericho on our last trip there. Even though they list 3 or 4 "black diamond" trails on the map, the only trail that is even moderately challenging is "Rene's Maze" - down by the lake.

What are the Pee Wee events like? For example: http://www.nedirtbikes.com/content/S..._342302/tm.htm

And do I really have to spend like $100 dollar bucks on hand guards? The XR came with some plastic Honda guards that worked fine. He smacked his hand once already.

Search eBay, there are cheapies from China to be found. Just make sure they claim support for regular, thin wall steel bars. Most only come with inserts for thick wall Aluminum bars... ask me how I know.

Garandman,

Not sure if you saw it but i posted the following on your ADVrider thread. This will get you a nice sturdy set up wrap around guards for under $50 and a few more dollars if you want to add plastic shields as well.

I just put a set of moose wrap around hand guards on an XR100. They are the "7/8" mini" versions. They fit well and went on with surprisingly little aggravation. I did put the inner ends in a vice and give them a little twist with an adjustable wrench.

These are the ones.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Also, I never liked the split wedge style bar end clamps. If you've got stock steel bars on the CRF the bar I.D. is larger than your typical aluminum bar which makes the fit worse. I used the Tusk bar end clamps from RMATV. They are amazingly sturdy and fit really well with the stock steel bars.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%20bra%20clamp

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast