Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

CF Moto?

Lifer

CF Moto?

We are closing on a house next month with a pretty large driveway and the idea of
    getting a quad or side by side to plow sounds fun...

While browsing Iíve seen everything from used Bobcat side by sides set up with plows
    down to cheap 90s quads I remember from my youth like the Yamaha Big Bear for
    under a couple grand.

Also on CL is an ad for cfmotoma.com with C Force quads and UTVs...

I did a quick search and found below average reviews on their 500 quad, but on a site
    that didnít have a review of the Honda Foreman which has been around forever to
    compare to see how critical that sites reviews were...

They seem sketchy but I donít want to be a Brand snob, so anyone know anything
    about them?

0 Not allowed!

Re: CF Moto?

They are a badged Chinese clone. Treat like a Chinese pitbike, you'll likely find that many parts swap with OEM bits from other brands, bolts and the bosses they thread into will be soft, plastics will be brittle, things that should be greased may not be, power will be down for a given displacement tier, etc. They will not be as low maint as a more mainstream brands but if you're willing to put more TLC into them you should be able to get into a new one cheaper than a mainstream brand unit.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

If you’re looking for cheap, id personally spring for an older used name brand quad, before buying one of those new. The name brand will be more reliable and more powerful.

I have an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that I bought about 10 years ago for $2800, it came with a trailer and plow. It’s been used as a work horse from the day I bought it until now, I even plow my 2,600’ driveway with it. Other than replacing the battery a couple times, I have not put a dime into it, it starts and goes every single time I go to use it.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    If you’re looking for cheap, id personally spring for an older used name brand quad, before buying one of those new. The name brand will be more reliable and more powerful.

I have an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that I bought about 10 years ago for $2800, it came with a trailer and plow. It’s been used as a work horse from the day I bought it until now, I even plow my 2,600’ driveway with it. Other than replacing the battery a couple times, I have not put a dime into it, it starts and goes every single time I go to use it.
    How is it to plow?
    My brother is being a hater and saying I’ll only be able to do light fluffy stuff...

Do they all pivot and raise?

Some shown on CL with the plow off, they look like just straight supports off the plow..

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Yeah see, I hadn’t looked at new units.
    A Cfmoto cforce 400 is allegedly $4,999
    A 2019 Yamaha kodiak 450 is $5,999.
    Not enough of a savings to me to take a chance I guess

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

So for the big brands it looks like the Kodiak is almost the best value.
    Suzuki has a quad for $500 more with 50cc less.
    The Honda rancher seems like a good budget quad tho, $5349 for a 420cc, $350 more and 20cc more than the “cfmoto”

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    How is it to plow?
    My brother is being a hater and saying Iíll only be able to do light fluffy stuff...

Do they all pivot and raise?

Some shown on CL with the plow off, they look like just straight supports off the plow..
    Itíll plow 12Ē of fluffy snow without a problem, if itís wet heavy and rain soaked, 4-5Ē is max. Key to using a small and lightweight atv for plowing, is speed, so the snow flies up and away from the plow.

Yes, most pivot and raise. Mine uses the winch to raise it, and there is 5 position manual angle.. center, 2 to the left, and 2 to the right. The brand is Moose, itís built like a tank.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    They are a badged Chinese clone. Treat like a Chinese pitbike, you'll likely find that many parts swap with OEM bits from other brands, bolts and the bosses they thread into will be soft, plastics will be brittle, things that should be greased may not be, power will be down for a given displacement tier, etc. They will not be as low maint as a more mainstream brands but if you're willing to put more TLC into them you should be able to get into a new one cheaper than a mainstream brand unit.
    your not even close

there actually a really well built atv and utv.

its not a clone.

they've been building atvs and utvs for 29 years.

they doo a really good job at putting a quality product together at a great price.

they doo such a good job there building bikes for another company you might have heard off.

ktm

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by sandman; 06-25-18 at 08:03 AM.
    jim

"Molon labe"

i agree the gixxer shouldn't bother any local dealers and should pick up something used.

fwiw: there built really good and remind me of how yamahas were built.

the cforce 400 reminds me of the kodiak's of old.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    your not even close

there actually a really well built atv and utv.

its not a clone.

they've been building atvs and utvs for 29 years.

they doo a really good job at putting a quality product together at a great price.

they doo such a good job there building bikes for another company you might have heard off.

ktm
    Putting other people's designs together under license / contract does not mean stuff produced for their own label is magically better. Lifan assembles Hondas for the chinese market, their own motors are still clearly using inferior grade fasteners and casting metalurgy, and are clear copies of the Honda horizontal single OHC motor from the 60s, or vertical singles, etc. I'm quite familiar with CF Moto and many of the other various labels the brand has operated under as well as labels they've resold to, and I will absolutely stand by my statement that the metalurgy isn't as good, fasteners are inferior and the base motor design is going to be a clone of a better known OEM. They're not say, Ducar levels of bad (head gaskets that still have the Campbell's Tomato Soup label on them from stamping, etc) but they are produced to a lower price point and you do get what you pay for as a result.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Lifer

i agree the gixxer shouldn't bother any local dealers and should pick up something used.

fwiw: there built really good and remind me of how yamahas were built.

the cforce 400 reminds me of the kodiak's of old.
    ��

0 Not allowed!

Putting other people's designs together under license / contract does not mean stuff produced for their own label is magically better. Lifan assembles Hondas for the chinese market, their own motors are still clearly using inferior grade fasteners and casting metalurgy, and are clear copies of the Honda horizontal single OHC motor from the 60s, or vertical singles, etc. I'm quite familiar with CF Moto and many of the other various labels the brand has operated under as well as labels they've resold to, and I will absolutely stand by my statement that the metalurgy isn't as good, fasteners are inferior and the base motor design is going to be a clone of a better known OEM. They're not say, Ducar levels of bad (head gaskets that still have the Campbell's Tomato Soup label on them from stamping, etc) but they are produced to a lower price point and you do get what you pay for as a result.
    enlighten me, what other brand or brands have they operated under?

from the limited research I've done there are 0

the only thing i've found was ktm has had them building some of there bikes.

they must be doing something right for ktm, seeing as there building a new 1mil sqft facility to build even more ktm's there

I've yet to see or come across any metallurgical issues and or inferior fasteners or parts.

all i see is a billion dollar oem building a quality product with quality components (no campbell's tomato soup label gaskets).

from what I've seen (first hand) is there built as good if not better than everything else currently available.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

They're an interesting company to chase, 'ownership' in China is fuzzy at times. I've reversed them back to Zhejiang Waho Holding Group Co,. Limited. There are LOTS of brands out of Zhejiang, Apollo comes to mind, those were an good example of what the bottom of the barrel looks like. Geely as well, although I've got far less hands on experience with them. I haven't had a chance to start reversing those brands to see if there are official links back to the mother-corp or not yet.

Along the way I found a patent dispute between Polaris and CF Moto from 2011, still ongoing as near as I can tell. Appears to be frame design details from a quick skim of the patents. Also appears Polaris is sue happy in general, going after Artic Cat at one point too.

The CF Moto 650 twin motorcycle's engine is about as direct a rip as you can get of Kawi's 650 twin.

Poking around US CF Moto forums, I see constant advisories by users to others to be careful torquing bolts on the machines as they are soft...

...and this is why I sometimes don't get stuff done at work, spent way too long poking around at this online.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

They're an interesting company to chase, 'ownership' in China is fuzzy at times. I've reversed them back to Zhejiang Waho Holding Group Co,. Limited. There are LOTS of brands out of Zhejiang, Apollo comes to mind, those were an good example of what the bottom of the barrel looks like. Geely as well, although I've got far less hands on experience with them. I haven't had a chance to start reversing those brands to see if there are official links back to the mother-corp or not yet.

Along the way I found a patent dispute between Polaris and CF Moto from 2011, still ongoing as near as I can tell. Appears to be frame design details from a quick skim of the patents. Also appears Polaris is sue happy in general, going after Artic Cat at one point too.

The CF Moto 650 twin motorcycle's engine is about as direct a rip as you can get of Kawi's 650 twin.

Poking around US CF Moto forums, I see constant advisories by users to others to be careful torquing bolts on the machines as they are soft...

...and this is why I sometimes don't get stuff done at work, spent way too long poking around at this online.
    from what I've seen there stuff is built really well.

I've never seen or heard of them building them anything as a different brand.

I've seen other brands with many different names on the same pos.

from the little I've seen of the motorcycle i wasn't impressed.

with all the ktm stuff there doing it would be cool if they built a 950 v twin adv bike.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Lifer

enlighten me, what other brand or brands have they operated under?

from the limited research I've done there are 0

the only thing i've found was ktm has had them building some of there bikes.

they must be doing something right for ktm, seeing as there building a new 1mil sqft facility to build even more ktm's there

I've yet to see or come across any metallurgical issues and or inferior fasteners or parts.

all i see is a billion dollar oem building a quality product with quality components (no campbell's tomato soup label gaskets).

from what I've seen (first hand) is there built as good if not better than everything else currently available.
    Do you own stock or something??

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Funny, browsing Freedom Cycles inventory of Yamaha kodiaks and grizzleys, I see they clamps carry “Textron” quads? A 443cc 4x4 for the same price as the CF Moto 400? Another brand I had no idea existed. Hey @sandman, why not buy new? I feel like of all things quads probably take a beating used.

0 Not allowed!

Funny, browsing Freedom Cycles inventory of Yamaha kodiaks and grizzleys, I see they clamps carry “Textron” quads? A 443cc 4x4 for the same price as the CF Moto 400? Another brand I had no idea existed. Hey @sandman, why not buy new? I feel like of all things quads probably take a beating used.
    Textron bought Artctic Cat last year. They're a ridiculously big company that makes mostly aircraft/defense vehicles under various different brand names they own.

0 Not allowed!

Quads are hit and miss on the used market. In my experience they're either beat to shit or literally brand new.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Who was it on here that bought a side by side and started a thread about it, I don’t remember the brand so I couldn’t search that way, I thought it was nhbubba or butcherbergs and searched the first two pages of their threads and didn’t see it...

0 Not allowed!

I believe Randyo, in the woods, with a Kymco?

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook