Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Changing dirtbike tires

Question Changing dirtbike tires

I changed my first ever dirtbike hoop tonight, let me tell ya it sucked Not knowing the first thing about how to go about it, I chose to just dig in and do it myself rather spend the $10 and take the time to drive it to the dealer. It musta takem me close to 2 hours
    Does anyone have a any tips on how to make this process easier? I used some soapy water to make it all slippery and giggity, but it seemed most of my troubles were with the rubber blocks that clamp the tire to the rim?
    The rubber rim strip was also in 3 peices when I took it apart so I used the duct tape trick over the nipples, Steve from Dunlop always told me to do this on my Motard wheels but I never did.

Hopefully I don't wake up to a flat tire tomorrow now cause I'll be riding PSF on some pilot powers if it don't hold air

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Changing dirtbike tires

You think the lil R1 can make it over the rocks faster than my EXC?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. OK. you're on.

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Changing dirtbike tires

Who said anything about the R1 That bike is "this" close to being sold
    I've got a set of 17" tard wheels with Pilot Powers for the KTM, worst case I put them on in the morning

Yamaha

Changing dirtbike tires

You think that tough, try it with the super thick inner tubes. Paying a dealer $10 bucks is worth it all day long.

Kevin

Changing dirtbike tires

Not sure if THIS is the info you need but, looks like good info on changing tires on the KTM.

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Changing dirtbike tires

Trouble changing a dirt tire? get outta herre!

Be sure to leave the rim locks in place -- just unscrew the locknut to the end. Slide one side of the fresh tire over them and then push the lock inside the tire while you pull on the opposite side of the tire. You want to get part of the tire that's already on the rim (over the rim lock(s))to be in the "deep" part of the rim so you have more room to get the remainder of the bead over. If you're using a lot of force to get the last bit of bead over the rim, you need to get the tire towards the center of the wheel more. Dirt tires are easy.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Changing dirtbike tires

It was my first one and I didn't do any reading prior to trying If I had only seen the link that Wayne posted, I'd have been much more better off when I started

Well one thing I know for sure, I didn't pinch the tube because it gained 1psi of pressure overnight (warmed up a little)

I'm heading to PSF now to test it out

Yamaha