Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

clunking noise in heavy mud

clunking noise in heavy mud

So Crow Hill was a mudpit on Saturday. Imagine dumping a fresh mixer of cement at the bottom of every jump and you'll have the picture. Anyway, my little 125 was buzzing it's way through the heavy stuff, and occasionally I'd get a clunk, kinda like a loose steering head bearing, but that's not loose. I thought it may be the chain trying to skip a tooth, but it was well adjusted. Could it be inside the clutch? Like the drive gear skipping?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: clunking noise in heavy mud

Sure it wasn't pinging? A slight pinging isn't too noticeable, but a good amount of it under a heavy load can be disruptive.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Front wheel bearing, maybe?

I don't think it was ping. It was a good thunk like when a steering head is really loose. I could feel it through the chasis. I doubt a wheel bearing could do that...

I dunno?

Paul_E_D

A slight ping isn't very noticeable, but a hefty amount under load is. Mud could do that, but it would seem more like the engine shutting down, rather than a clunk here & there. Only thought that since you mentioned the conditions.

Disconnect the shock at one and and check for play in the linkage (does it have any?) or the swingarm pivot? Then again, you could be dealing with some worn dogs if you're a power-on clutchless lever masher.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

not to hijack your thread..but that place is a handfull when it's wet. I crashed there once about 3 years ago as hard as I ever had before friggin mud LOL

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Yeah, There's a swamp above the track, and when it fills up, water just continues to weep down teh hillside filling the low spots. The sand section was faster than ever though!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    A slight ping isn't very noticeable, but a hefty amount under load is. Mud could do that, but it would seem more like the engine shutting down, rather than a clunk here & there. Only thought that since you mentioned the conditions.

Disconnect the shock at one and and check for play in the linkage (does it have any?) or the swingarm pivot? Then again, you could be dealing with some worn dogs if you're a power-on clutchless lever masher.
    Worn dogs is a worry, but it didn't ever pop out of gear. I think I'll check the basket/drive gear first. I think there may have been some issues there.

No linkage, but there's a shck bush that commonly wears out. I'll check that, too

Clutch? does this thing have a clutch?

Paul_E_D

The clutch I wouldn't think would provide that sensation, unless it was FOOKED! Drop the oil yet?

re: worn bush/bearing

Bear in mind, it only takes a slight bit of slop to induce effect where a swingarm is involved, as the movement is amplified.

Not yet, it took me forever to wash the cement off it...

Paul_E_D

Possibly a worn slider in the fork? Hitting the thick muck gives you enough leverage to funk the fork tube.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

It could have been the suspension bottoming - in mud rides/races it's not hard to get an extra 25 pounds packed in there between the bike and your gear...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...