Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dual Sport a CRF450X

Dual Sport a CRF450X

I bought a 2005 CRF450X used. I would like to convert it to dual sport.

I live in MA, I have heard doing it in NH is easier and then title it in Mass.

Could some people just tell me the checklist of what I need.

Thanks!!!

John

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Dual Sport a CRF450X

https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/main...ategory=MCYCLE

That kit should have everything you need. You may be able to get all of that cheaper from other places, but those kits seem to be the popular/easy ones.

Headlights, blinkers (front and rear), horn, license plate bracket and light. I'm probably forgetting something.

I have a Baja Designes kit.

I am wondering about the title. It is an offroad only bike, and I do not have a Cert of Orgin.

Anyone done the title conversion??

Ah, my bad. I'd say call your local DMV and ask for the list of what you have to do. That would be the fastest/most accurate way of getting the info imho.

you need to go to a dealer that is willing to give you a letter on their letterhead stating that you have met ALL the requirements to make the bike DOT compliant obviously they will need to inspect the bike when you put all the stuff on, before they will give you said letter.

brake light actuated by both front and rear brake
    2 mirrors
    horn
    chain guard
    dot tires
    high beam / low beam
    turn signals front and rear atleast 14'' appart

. then off to the insurance company to get them to insure it. bring an rmv 1 form to the registry and apply for title and registration, then back to the dealer for an inspection sticker

I was going to try to get my wr250 plated but it wasn't worth it for me I sold it and bought a DRz 400 instead.

good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Or*, you can simply apply for title. If you're the original owner, you will need to provide the CO (otherwise a Bill of Sale) and pay sales tax (or provide proof thereof). If you no longer have the CO, you can get a copy from the OEM. Once you've received the title, take that to your insurance agent and have them do up an RMV-1 for you. Once registered, you'll need to get an inspection sticker on the plate. For that, you'll have to be creative.

* I myself have not followed this procedure but I personally know someone who just plated his brand new CRF250X this past month, and that's all he did. Me, I just bought a DOT-legit Husky instead.

I have a 450x plated, inspected and races at loudon. In MA good frikin luck. Best thing to do is sell it to someone in NH. (On paper of course) and then let them register it and get a title. Then when said title is procured, sell it back to you with said title and then register it in MA.

it can be done!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Hijack: Chris, how's that Husky treating you?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hijack: Chris, how's that Husky treating you?
    For a bone-stock bike, the thing romps. Hey, I was riding it at PSF with you! I haven't done up any guards on the bars yet, so I've been taking it kinda easy on it through the gnar-gnar. Maintenance is cake. Layout is roomy. Suspension isn't the plushest during the initial stroke (I think my weight is keeping the bike too far into the mid-stroke up front), but the bike is way stable at speed. The motor has a VERY healthy, linear pull -- feels as strong or stronger than any other woodsy 450F I've ridden. Gear spacing is off-road only, but that's okay because the seat is a board. Juice clutch is cool. I don't think I've used the kickstarter yet on it. With a larger fuel cell and some slightly taller final gearing, it'd be more useful as a d-s bike. As it is now, it's more of a racebike with lights. Not sure if I'm going to hold onto it this season though, as my plans for enduros with it aren't on the front burner since my back's not been feeling too young these days.

Yeah, I was ogling it that day. I have done a few laps on Clintons 250, and found it incredibly stable, but firm. My 125 is really nervous in comparison. I may go street legal in the next bike I choose. More for exploring local trails than for doing road riding. I think Husky has a 250 that's street legal... hmmm...

Paul_E_D