Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The way of the dirt...

Re: The way of the dirt...

Nice, you have to come down to mx101 or clough soon. Bring it to loudon, good pit bike...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

I just got a pit bike too, Sandros' 125. I'll have to wait a bit and get some seat time on the trails and pits near my house before I come embarrass myself at clough/mx101.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I just got a pit bike too, Sandros' 125. I'll have to wait a bit and get some seat time on the trails and pits near my house before I come embarrass myself at clough/mx101.
    Just jump right in. Worked for me!

I'll have better luck with Brian Campbell probably. Like John (trouble?). Either way, they're yours. I'll msg Brian and see if he can courier.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Na, its no fun if you embarrass yourself when no one is looking.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

So, picked up the bike today and found out my uncle stored it with no gas in the tank. Not sure what he did, but I knew the carbs would be gummed up to say the least. He couldn't find the battery either, so for right now, I got some exercise kicking.

Filled it full of new gas, and some ethanol treatment. Kicked and kicked and kicked, and found that there was gas leaking out from underneath the bike. At first I thought it was an over-flow from a stuck float valve or something, but it looks like its coming from the draing at the bottom of the carb??? (pic to follow).

Finally find a donor battery and it cranks over and I get it to start with the choke on. After running for a little bit, it seems like the pilot (low speed/idle) jet is clogged. Won't idle but will kick over and start with the choke on.

So, my two questions. How the F do you get the carbs off this thing, it's crammed in there fairly well and there has to be an easy way. 2nd, if you look at the bottom of the carb, you see a small hose coming off the bottom with a set screw just above and beside it. Mine looks mangled on the outside, and won't close all the way. When the carbs fill, the bike leaks gas out the bottom. I've checked tightness, removed the screw and sprayed carb cleaner in, put back in, and nothing changed. thoughts?

The wr

The bowl drain??

Thats water on the carb because I just hosed the bike off.

loosen the clamps on the two boots (fore and aft) and pry the airbox off the back of it. that whole duct, if you will, should be flexy. stiff, but flexy. spray some wd in between the carb and the boots so it'll wiggle out a bit easier.

edit: that's the main drain. there's gotta be either some more schmeg in there, or there's an o-ring missing. my guess is schmeg, i've never seen an o-ring in a bowl drain like that.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 06-15-11 at 07:16 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm guessing there's a fair amount of schmeg in there. It's been put up for like a year and a half. I can only guess what I will find when I pull the carb.

BTW, I did get to take it for a quick ride. More power than I expected. The exhaust baffle has already been removed and it's got a good bark to it. I can't wait to really take it for a ride.

That drain is also your overflow/bowl vent. If it's leaking gas with the set screw closed your needle valve isn't seating and you're overfilling the bowl. Get that carb off pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    That drain is also your overflow/bowl vent. If it's leaking gas with the set screw closed your needle valve isn't seating and you're overfilling the bowl. Get that carb off pronto.
    What he said. In theory, that vent/overflow is supposed to prevent fuel from flowing into the engine if the float sticks.

When you pull the carb apart, make sure you runa peice of wire or something through the jets and don't just spray them expecting that to clean.
    Also, I've found with the Yamaha WR/YZ thumpers, in the end it is easier to tip the subframe back if you want to remove the carb. All I do is remove the subframe bolts and the slip-on, and just let the subframe hang there.

Looks like a clean bike

Yamaha

wow is all i have to say.

Pilot/low speed jet was solid full of this green slimy shit. It took me about 30 minutes of switching between carb cleaner, thin wire, and compressed air to finally get it unblocked. The float was stuck, had some crud that essentially locked it open. Once I hit it with spray, everything freed up. Main jet was good and everything else looked like it was in full working order. I just finished and want to start it up, but I know even in my garage at 0230, my neighbors would kill me.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow

nice job

Paul_E_D

stupid pilot screw. never checked to see what the settings were. now it won't start...

turn it in til it seats, then out 1.5 turns. Should start no problem. Otherwise, tip the bike on its side till fuel comes out the overflow, and try again.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Old trick for a flooded 2 stroke - turn the fuel petcock off, open the throttle full, and kick (or press the button) until it fires. It'll run like crap for a few seconds. When it starts to even out open the petcock at the tank...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

So I replaced the pilot screw/mixture screw altogether with a moose one that I can adjust by hand should I need to. It was worth the $20 just to not have to take the carb off the adjust the settings. I replaced it last night, 20 minute job, but again, it was around 0130 so I didn't get to fire it up and make my neighbors hate me.

Bought a battery for it this morning. Plopped it in and it fired right up. It'll idle now and throttle response seems good. I also bought some A* tech 3 boots, Klim pants and shirt, and I was out the door.

Damn this is way fucking different than I'm used to. I went to the sand pit down the road from my place for it's maiden ride. I got about 15 minutes in before my feet were killing me from the new boots, and my hands were cramping from holding the bars so damn hard. It doesn't feel like there is any stability at all and its a weird feeling to have the rear kick out under accelleration. I only got about 15 minutes in and had to come do other things at the house but at least it's up and running like it should now.

I'm looking forward to getting more seat time in a "legal" area. I stopped by the PD on the way home and the pit that I rode in is privately owned and the owner doesn't want people riding there. So, looks like I have to find some other place to get dirty....

Littering and........

I'm looking forward to getting more seat time in a "legal" area. I stopped by the PD on the way home and the pit that I rode in is privately owned and the owner doesn't want people riding there. So, looks like I have to find some other place to get dirty....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12